Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 82146 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2014, 09:45:43 pm »

It's [SKILL:SIEGECRAFT], which i believe is called either "engineering" or "siege engineering" in game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2014, 04:46:45 am »

engineering. Siege engineering was the vanilla name.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2014, 03:00:35 pm »

Playing Adventure mode with a paladin human, I tried to attack an orc fortress. i found a couple of bugs:

1) This is REALLY an orc.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Later, I also found an Uruk Uruk).

2) Something just hit me, but i can't tell you what that was...
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2014, 03:11:22 pm »

Maybe Orc peasant, or the basic orc caste. Instead of Orc Dreamwalker or Orc Ronin you get an Orc Orc. :P

The second thing is a mage, the orc found a slab/secret/curse in woldgen and learned the secrets of toximancy. Its one of many rather hidden features.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2014, 05:15:12 pm »

It sounds a lot more brutal than your usual ritual of pain, that's for sure.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2014, 08:00:28 am »

The second thing is a mage, the orc found a slab/secret/curse in woldgen and learned the secrets of toximancy. Its one of many rather hidden features.

I figured it out, but I think being "caught in a cloud of !" isn't supposed to happen...
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 02, 2014, 08:17:26 am »

Suggestion: A toothed axe/toothed spear/scimitar warrior society arms. It kinda sucks that those are the 'traditional' orc weapons and there isn't a warrior arms set that uses at least two of them. Maybe 'Horde Champion' or something like that for the name, I dunno.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2014, 09:50:19 am »

I figured it out, but I think being "caught in a cloud of !" isn't supposed to happen...

It's possibly one of a few hardcoded DF materials that the Toximancer slings around which aren't used much in the base game (FILTH_B and FILTH_Y).  Both of which I would not be surprised if Toady didn't include all the tags for, since he doesn't use them and possibly had second thoughts about including them.  Anyway the Toximancer is not an Orc mode thing so, not my call :)

Regarding Orc Orc, yeah I suspect that is taking the place of "Peasant".  How common is this, do you generally see Orcs of other professions in adventure time or are a majority of them Orc Orcs?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2014, 10:45:40 am »

Suggestion: A toothed axe/toothed spear/scimitar warrior society arms. It kinda sucks that those are the 'traditional' orc weapons and there isn't a warrior arms set that uses at least two of them. Maybe 'Horde Champion' or something like that for the name, I dunno.

Seawolves are scimitar as I think you know. 

The Falcons are jagged spear & bola.  Originally envisioned as something like the Orcish version of light husaria.  I am thinking of swapping their sidearm to something more distinctive since kobold culture has claimed and renamed the "bold-bola" (lol?  kobolds are kind of awesome).  Maybe a flachette gun or atlatl.  Bonus random item that has very little to do with orcs: the words "corsair" and "hussar" are thought to have a common root in a latin term for a sanctioned pirate/privateer ("cursarius")

I just didn't have a particular idea/inspiration for a domestic jagged axe kit, or great axe, for that matter. I guess axe & tomahawk would be useful at least if not particularly creative.

Cavebear is the axe-skill society, of course it doesn't count entirely since it's foriegn.  Uses a jagged axe to create but actually it attacks more like a Dwarven battleaxe.  Kind of a discontinuity.

Hmm, kind of an oversight that the damascene doesn't have any options at all for axes other than tomahawks.

Random side note, unless someone objects I'm probably going to scrap the "Rebalance Project's" non-society CORSAIR_ARMS, partly for design efficiency reasons because it is essentially the same thing as the preexisting Bayonetted Pistol.  And also for economy reasons, because removing the common pistol from Freelancer's guild actually made it much harder to craft the real Seawolf arms.  I have no problem letting the Freelancers guild or Tinkerer craft bayonetted pistols since apparently there's some demand for that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:56:31 am by smakemupagus »

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2014, 11:16:25 am »

Anyway the Toximancer is not an Orc mode thing so, not my call :)
Whoops, sorry, I didn't know. ;)

Regarding Orc Orc, yeah I suspect that is taking the place of "Peasant".  How common is this, do you generally see Orcs of other professions in adventure time or are a majority of them Orc Orcs?
I went back to that place, and I found a few more. They are usually with "Orc mechanics" and similar, so it looks like they are supposed to be peasants, also because I didn't found any of those...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2014, 01:30:51 pm »

I'm tempted to chalk it up to a nuance of orcish linguistics, since "Uruk" is an orcish word meaning "orc," (but also specifically the particularly tough folk of the steppe tribes) and "Snaga" means something along the lines of serf/slave (but also specifically the goblin-bred folk of the deep clans).  So a construct like "Snaga snaga" could be a perfectly legitimate reduplication, just like in english we say things like "hey is that POTATO-salad, or just SALAD-salad?"

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:54 pm »

Seawolves are scimitar as I think you know. 

The Falcons are jagged spear & bola.  Originally envisioned as something like the Orcish version of light husaria.  I am thinking of swapping their sidearm to something more distinctive since kobold culture has claimed and renamed the "bold-bola" (lol?  kobolds are kind of awesome).  Maybe a flachette gun or atlatl.  Bonus random item that has very little to do with orcs: the words "corsair" and "hussar" are thought to have a common root in a latin term for a sanctioned pirate/privateer ("cursarius")

I just didn't have a particular idea/inspiration for a domestic jagged axe kit, or great axe, for that matter. I guess axe & tomahawk would be useful at least if not particularly creative.

Cavebear is the axe-skill society, of course it doesn't count entirely since it's foriegn.  Uses a jagged axe to create but actually it attacks more like a Dwarven battleaxe.  Kind of a discontinuity.

Hmm, kind of an oversight that the damascene doesn't have any options at all for axes other than tomahawks.

Random side note, unless someone objects I'm probably going to scrap the "Rebalance Project's" non-society CORSAIR_ARMS, partly for design efficiency reasons because it is essentially the same thing as the preexisting Bayonetted Pistol.  And also for economy reasons, because removing the common pistol from Freelancer's guild actually made it much harder to craft the real Seawolf arms.  I have no problem letting the Freelancers guild or Tinkerer craft bayonetted pistols since apparently there's some demand for that.
Oh okay. That reminds me, why does the Arcane Forge take the Stone Engraver skill and not the Weaponsmith skill?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2014, 09:50:40 pm »

mmm.. Because that's the runesmith labor.  but yeah i could see that the other way

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2014, 03:40:28 am »

Working on small changes (just bugfixes and loose ends stuff).  Please let me know if you see anything important that i'm missing.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 03, 2014, 05:49:25 am »

Okay, for warpstone would it be possible to make a more powerful - yet a lot more dangerous - spellcaster weapon out of it? I can see that being a nice trade off. Or something akin to the kobold toad drink. The game is also missing Succubi/Warlock tech/captives... The non-playable races too now that I think about it, but that would be a bigger project.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46