Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's play CK2 Elder Kings conversion mod. Disabled Archmage Adventures!  (Read 13914 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

So what is this? It'll be a reader-driven let's play of the Elder Kings total conversion mod for Crusader Kings 2, which let's you play as a ruler in the Elder Scrolls setting. Note that I'll be crossposting this to a thread on another forum and taking votes from both threads.

You remember it well, your last memory of sight, of sound. You were eight at the time, a magical prodigy the likes of which had never been seen before. With far more power than sense, you meddled in things far beyond your level in a silly attempt to impress your little sister who you doted on.

You ended up a deformed, crippled mockery of your former self, your sister dead. Struck blind, deaf and mute, you were suddenly plunged into a world of silent darkness, and unable to even cry out at your fate, your tongue a mangled mess. Your back has become hunched, your growth stunted, and your foolishness has cost you a arm and a leg. Your remaining foot is a misshapen thing, so even with a masterwork enchanted prosthetic you find it difficult to walk.

But despite this misfortune that has befallen you, you have persevered. The most difficult part was developing a spell that allowed you to read. A crude transmutation that made letters jut out from a page, allowing you to read with your remaining hand. And now after many hard years of hard work your patience is finally paying off. You are confident that should you repeat your earlier mistake, you would succeed where your earlier self had failed. Indeed, it is without arrogance that you say your power approaches that of the Daedric Lords themselves, if not your experience in using that power, and that you may be the most skilled mage currently alive on Tamriel.

But now a disturbing message has been placed before you by the servants of the castle. Your parents are dead, both the victims of a plot, no doubt some ambitious nobles wished to place their much more pliable cripple child on the throne. You can only hope you will prove them wrong.

1 Morning Star 3370, The Interregnum

It is done, you are now the reigning monarch, the heavy weight of what you can only hope is indeed the crown weighing down your head. In fact you fear your weak neck might snap like a twig soon.

But first, what's your name again?
(x) Write-in
(x) Random

And your family name?
(x) Write-in
(x) Random

Are you a boy or a girl?
(x) Male
(x) Female

What nation are you king/queen of anyway?

Pick any nation from within the area encircled in red.

How old are you again?
(x) Any age from 16 to 40

Are you married?
(x) Yes
(x) No

Do you have children?
(x) Yes. (How many boys and/or girls do you have?)
(x) No

Choose a lifestyle:
(x) Celibate:
Con:
You will be unable to have any children except those created in chargen.
Pro:
Greatly better starting stats.

(x) Architect:
Slightly lowers cost and time to build structures.

(x) Alchemist:
Can make useful potions, even potentially help alleviate some of your disabilities. Also less chance you get poisoned yo!

There was a time when you searched desperately for a way to undo your mistake and return your sister to life. Did you delve into the forbidden secrets of Necromancy looking for some way to accomplish this?
(x) Yes
(x) No

Are you Dragonborn?
(x) Yes
Pro: Better stats
Con: I will roleplay your disabilities harder. Nobles might decide to ignore your written orders, or even openly mock you since you can't sense it, making your court a laughingstock.
(x) No

Note you won't be able to learn Thu'um until you fix your voice.

Which religion do you pay homage to?
(x) The Eight Divines
(x) Marukhati Heresy
(x) Auri-El Apologists
(x) The Old Gods
(x) Sithis
(x) Hagraven Cult
(x) Daedric Cult (Specify for which Daedric Lord)
(x) Necromancy Cult (Requires Necromancer trait)

Idiot Savant: You are both blessed and cursed by the gods. Some of your stats approach mythic levels, while others are worse than those of a kindergartner. Choose two of the following stats to raise to mythic levels.
(x) Diplomacy
(x) Martial
(x) Stewardship
(x) Intrigue
(x) Fertility

You may choose additional disabilities in order to increase your base stats. Choose as many as you want to.
(x) Lunatic
You are blessed by Sheogorath
(x) Stressed
Ruling aint easy
(x) Skooma Addiction
So taaasty. You really like the food the servants have started giving you lately.
(x) Maimed (Cracked Skull)
You were pushed down the stairs once in a lukewarm assassination attempt. Your skull never quite healed right
(x) Paranoid
It's not paranoia if they are out to get you!
(x) Dishonourable
Honour is for those who aren't out to win!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:11:54 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures of the Disabled Archmage (Elder Kings, a CKII mod)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 04:50:49 am »

Name: Urist
Dynasty: TotenSchwester
Religion: Cult of Sheogorath

Diplomacy: 4
Martial: 7
Stewardship: 6
Intrigue: 88
Learning: 97

Traits:
Master Mage
Kinslayer, the blood of your sister is on your hands.
Dragonborn, you are blessed by the gods, and have the soul of a dragon.
Necromancer, you would do anything to bring back your sister. Anything.
Genius, you are unarguably a genius, if an unlucky one.
Vigourous, your oxlike constitution is probably the only reason you're still alive.
Greedy, more gold, more!
Slob, it's hard to look after yourself when you're the next best thing to an invalid
Ambitious, you will rise above your deficiences and become the greatest there ever was!
Gluttonous, being one of the only three senses you have left, you savour your ability to taste various dishes to the fullest.
Alchemist, you've become quite adept at mixing potions by smells and taste alone.
Blind, Deaf, Mute : What's going on?!
Hunchbacked, Dwarf, Clubfooted, Weak, Ugly : Hideous as sin.
Possessed : So many voices in your head
Depressed : It's all your fault...
Maimed (Leg, Arm, Eye, Tongue, Ear) : It hurts to live
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:40:16 am by Demonic Spoon »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

But first, what's your name again?
(x) Urist

And your family name?
(x) TotenSchwester (translate it, I dare you!)

Are you a boy or a girl?
(x) Male

What nation are you king/queen of anyway?
Daggerfall!  (never played the games, it's just a cool name)

How old are you again?
(x) 16

Are you married?
(x) Not yet

Do you have children?
(x) No

Choose a lifestyle:

(x) Alchemist:
Can make useful potions, even potentially help alleviate some of your disabilities. Also less chance you get poisoned yo!

There was a time when you searched desperately for a way to undo your mistake and return your sister to life. Did you delve into the forbidden secrets of Necromancy looking for some way to accomplish this?
(x) No

Are you Dragonborn?
(x) Yes

Note you won't be able to learn Thu'um until you fix your voice.

Which religion do you pay homage to?
(x) The Eight Divines
(Might as well match our neighbors)

Idiot Savant: You are both blessed and cursed by the gods. Some of your stats approach mythic levels, while others are worse than those of a kindergartner. Choose two of the following stats to raise to mythic levels.
(x) Intrigue
(x) Fertility

You may choose additional disabilities in order to increase your base stats. Choose as many as you want to.
(x) Stressed
Ruling aint easy (It won't last long...probably)
(x) Paranoid
It's not paranoia if they are out to get you!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As above, but

+ Necromancer

+ Cult of Sheoggorath

+ Not Stressed
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

As above, but

+ Necromancer

+ Cult of Sheogorath
I support these wholeheartedly.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Agreed. Necromaniacal sounds like an interesting way to run a country.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

+1 for Necromaniacal, simply because I love the word.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm surprised you guys chose fertility and intrigue. With my usual playstyle those are usually my two most underutilized stats. You guys will want to make sure our friend utilizes his potential to his fullest.

Will update Character sheet with all our traits and such soon. Without further ado, moving on the the update:

Ladies and gentlemen, our hero! Urist "DeadSister", King of Daggerfall!

Though you have renamed your dynasty in honour of your dead sister, this has not removed the black stain of killing her from your honour. Though once whispered of favourably as a Dragonborn, chosen of the gods, these kindly mutterings are now drowned out by fearful whispers that you have delved in the black secrets of forbidden necromancy. Even your mastery of magickness is seen as a demon's work, now doubt the result of your consorting with the vile Daedric Lord Sheogorath. How can you explain to them that Sheogorath is the only one who has realized the nature of reality, a ridicolous farce all sound and fury without any meaning?

Crown heavy on your straining neck, you go to meet your council. Your loyal court scribe, Baron Darius of Shalgora, everpresent at your side.

Your "loyal" vassal, Baron Darius

Though your scribe's messages assure you that the council is supportive of you, you can't help but sense a air of hostility in the room...

Indeed, your lifesight shows a red mist throughout the chamber.

Chancellor:
Mercer advises you to get married as soon as possible, to assure continuance of your dynasty, should some unfortunate accident somehow befall you, Eight Divines forbid. However, he has only managed to find three potential candidates actually willing to marry you, and all of them hate your guts. Well the orcish girlchild who has yet to even grow into her tusks just expresses a mild disgust but none of these are what one would call ideal spouse material.

Available spouses

Marshal:
Phinis suggests that you send him to enlarge the levies of the capital, so that you might have a larger army with which to conquer more territory for the council for you to rule my liege. The marshal was kind enough to note that living armies of good strong Bretons would be more than sufficient, and that there was definitely no need for you to raise any foul armies of the undead. You can help but get the idea he has something against necromancers...

Steward:
Your steward, a man by the name of Weylin, gushes about all the hidden treasures still left to discover in Daggerfall, for the use of the crown of course! Though, knowing your greedy nature, he does grudgingly admit that he might be able to squeeze a few extra coins out of the peasantry. You salivate at the thought.

Spymaster:
Your spymaster claims that everything is smooth sailing on the covert front, no one is plotting against you and everything's fine, and suggests that he be sent to steal technological secrets from the Altmer. However your trusty paranoia kicks in, if what she claimed was true then what happened to your parents? You nod along agreeably enough, but then when your quarters you send out orders with your most trusted servants, those that had been in your emply since birth, to the spy network you had managed to build up independently over the last few years. Something felt fishy about that council, now what are you going to do about it? Kill, Revoke or Kidnap.
Spoiler: Available plots (click to show/hide)

Magister:
Sadly there are no suitable candidates for the Magister position currently. Your council recommends that you hire a priest or mage from abroad to fill the position.

You return from the council meeting hungry, and while devouring a wonderfully roasted duck, consider your own plans for the future. Will you attempt to expand your kingdom of Daggerfall to the true extent of it's rightful borders. Or simply bide your time for now, building up your strength.
Spoiler: De Jure Borders (click to show/hide)
And perhaps even more importantly, what are you ambitions for the future? Getting a wife is certainly important, but none of the ones available are really great catches. Then also you can't help but feel insecure in your position, would consider it grand achievement if you manage to last even a decade on the throne.

Spoiler: Ambitions in Depth (click to show/hide)

Then also there is your one true passion in life, Magicka. Just last month you have uncovered spells of regeneration and alteration, that would allow you to finally fix your many ailments. Perhaps you could even regain your sight once more? However there are other spells that are just as important, transmutation of gold to boost the royal treasury, summoning daedric hordes to supplement your armies of conquest and many more. All this was in the future of course, because you had exhausted you magicka reserves last week to create poison-detecting eating implements for your personal use.

Magicka Reserves:
0/60 +10 Magicka/year
Current spells Available to cast:
None

In addition, you might seek to make offerings to appease the Prince of Madness, and maybe even gain his fickle favour, and perhaps adjust the crown laws somewhat. They're a mess.
Spoiler: Crown Laws (click to show/hide)

(x) Write-in Plans!
(x) Hire a mage/priest!
(x) Choose Ambition!
(x) Choose Plot9
(x) Change those crown laws!
(x) Will you marry? If so who do you marry
(x) More information DS! I want to know more about [insert topic]
(x) Raise our armies and go a-conquering!
(x) Assign jobs to your councillors!
Chancellor: Improve Relations, Fabricate Claim, Sow Dissent, Colonize Province(Culture change)
Marshal: Enforce Martial Law, Train Troops, Research Military Tech, Rally Rebels
Steward: Collect Taxes, Oversee Construction, Research Economy Tech, Survey Province
Spymaster: Scheme, Build Spy network, Study Technology, Root out Cabals

(x) Next update after you have enough magicka to cure your blindness
(x) Yearly Updates
(x) Five Year updates
(x) Write-in

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:36:25 pm by Demonic Spoon »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(x)REPLACE SPYMASTER!!!!!
(x) Hire a mage/priest!
(x) Choose Ambition (Marriage)  Cause it's easy to fulfill right now.
(x) Will you marry? If so who do you marry: Relie for two reasons - She's not chaste and not an orc.  Best chance of children!

(x) Next update after you have enough magicka to cure your blindness WEAKNESS/HUNCHBACK.  Nobody hates you for being blind...

Leave crown laws alone for two reasons: Everyone loves your crown laws and everyone would hate any changes.

As for the lousy spouse...we can always "replace" her later.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

As to the ambition, we should go for piousness. We can get cool things later, but most importantly we get a sweet title.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As to the ambition, we should go for piousness. We can get cool things later, but most importantly we get a sweet title.
I'm in favor of this after quickly satisfying the "get married" ambition (which by the way, gives us a boost in piety).  Primarily because we should totally be the most pious worshiper of Madness.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

I'm in favor of this after quickly satisfying the "get married" ambition (which by the way, gives us a boost in piety).  Primarily because we should totally be the most pious worshiper of Madness.
True enough. My primary concern with that is we have suitors which hate us, which means we could get stuck with the ambition unfulfilled in a timely manner.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Don't know CK2 well enough to comment on actions, but I will say I would like to see Paragon of Virtue as an ambition (if not necessarily the immediate one -- getting hooked up would be fine for the near future) -- we should totally be trying to increase the moral authority of the crazy man cult.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't know CK2 well enough to comment on actions, but I will say I would like to see Paragon of Virtue as an ambition (if not necessarily the immediate one -- getting hooked up would be fine for the near future) -- we should totally be trying to increase the moral authority of the crazy man cult.

I'm a big fan of being a paragon of the virtue of madness.  That is just hilarious.

True enough. My primary concern with that is we have suitors which hate us, which means we could get stuck with the ambition unfulfilled in a timely manner.

Generally, suitors don't get a say on who they marry.  It's the ruler of the suitor who decides, generally speaking.  The only real risk with the briton women is rejection due to wrong religion.  If they both reject us, the orc girl is likely to accept due to matching religions.  Also, in any game of Crusader Kings II, there are always more women than the default bridefinder spits out, so there are probably more than three possible brides in any case.  Search women unmarried adult same religion or ditto but same culture instead of same religion, and just keep asking till someone says "yes".

Cheesy method of guaranteed success: Propose marriage, then set up ambition "get married".  Getting married to non-courtiers takes a few days, so the ambition will activate prior to the marriage.  If all else fails, just spend the gold on a female courtier (dunno the dialog in this mod) and force her to marry you (courtiers don't get to refuse marriages within your own court, even especially to the tyrant lord of the realm).

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You do get to claim the wabbajack if your piety is high enough. :D

What do you want more info on?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:30:02 am by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: [1] 2