Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilizations and embarking questions  (Read 1885 times)

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilizations and embarking questions
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:53:28 pm »

Is there any way, besides embarking, to see what a given civilization has access to (yes, I mean coal)?  And once you are in the embark screen is there any way to get back to the embarking selection map without saving or losing any notes on the main map (say if your civ doesn't have any aforementioned coal)?  I don't really want to have to create a suicidal embark just to save the notes of the other good spots on the giant map I'm using...

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Civilizations and embarking questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:09:50 pm »

I don't know if it works like this but I think there are certain things your civ will always have access to like steel. For other things like coal it might work if you put your embark area over one of your civs forts and run prospect all. Again not sure this would work but if you have DFHack it might be worth trying.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 12:24:35 am »

The thing about them having access to always thing is not true. Dwarf civs for whatever reason do not have access to iron anvils but do however with steel anvils.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:23:00 am »

You could check the embark list, then alt+ctrl+del your way out of it. Not sure if that counts as a save-scum, since there's no actual save.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:50:54 am »

The thing about them having access to always thing is not true. Dwarf civs for whatever reason do not have access to iron anvils but do however with steel anvils.

Dwarven civilizations always "have access to" steel (meaning you can embark with it, and request it from caravans), even if the civilization has no access to iron.  The mountainhomes create their trade goods out of thin air, not by actually mining ore, and smelting it, and forging it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:15 am »

I have a fake embark profile with one of every kind of it interesting stone and an iron anvil.

After I generate a new world, before looking for a good site, I select each civ and embark with my fake profile which brings up the "preparations not complete" window.  Tab through that to see what they are missing, and then esc abort.

Takes about 15 seconds per civ. Saves a lot out hassle.

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:03:59 am »

While we're on the topic. What the heck are "Town"(s) in the civilization neighbors list?

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:46:26 pm »

Part of the problem is also that I play masterwork and your starting 7 are of random guilds, which means you could start with 7 priests or a vampire mage.  I like getting at least some useful guilds to start with, so I tend to re-embark a couple times until I get a mix that works well.  I guess I can just note up the map, then do a suicidal embark to get the notes saved (and check out the goods from one civ).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 05:14:54 pm »

While we're on the topic. What the heck are "Town"(s) in the civilization neighbors list?
Human towns that have been taken over by a necromancer.  You will also see Tower, Mountainhome and whatever the name is for a goblin city as well on occasion.  I had an embark with two Towns, a Tower, a Mountainhome and one other; ended up with a zombie siege about the time the first caravan arrived. ;(
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:56:20 pm »

All you have to do is hit "esc" and then "Abort game."  You can do this from within the "prepare carefully" screen, where you can already see what your civilization has access to, (by hitting tab and perusing the available lists of items). Not sure what this talk of save-scumming or force quitting is all about. Aborting just sends you right back to the main menu without saving anything or taking up that embark site.

There's a possibility that I have this option due to some sort of DFhack script. If so, then I suggest getting DFhack =P  It has a lot of really useful stuff even if you don't want to use any cheat functions, like UI streamlining stuff.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 07:03:24 pm »

All you have to do is hit "esc" and then "Abort game."  You can do this from within the "prepare carefully" screen, where you can already see what your civilization has access to, (by hitting tab and perusing the available lists of items). Not sure what this talk of save-scumming or force quitting is all about. Aborting just sends you right back to the main menu without saving anything or taking up that embark site.

There's a possibility that I have this option due to some sort of DFhack script. If so, then I suggest getting DFhack =P  It has a lot of really useful stuff even if you don't want to use any cheat functions, like UI streamlining stuff.

It destroys any notes you have made though which he didn't want to do.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 07:21:27 pm »

Okay, so then just don't take notes yet?  Make world. Go in, choose a civ, embark immediately first thing, don't bother even looking at anything about the site at all, see what they offer, then abort, THEN go back and start looking at the map seriously for sites and taking notes before your actual embark.

How do you even know what to take notes on anyway regarding resources you can't get from your civ if you haven't checked what the civ has yet? I'm not sure I even understand how that situation is coming up in the first place.

Or if he's worried about a specific world that he just spent 2 hours making notes on or something, then just do the suicide embark, which is a pretty minor cost to saving a ton of work, and then do it the other way around next time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:25:56 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.