Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1198737 times)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 134 Plots and Conflicts
« Reply #4080 on: December 13, 2015, 06:50:45 am »

But what if you don't have enough essences for even a +2/+2 spell?

((Well then, you should probably try breaking your opponent's nose and stuffing a gag into their mouth. The existence of spells doesn't prevent your from making full use of your fists.))
((Try combining that with force-type spells, and now you could kill someone with only +2/+2 or less(well, actually because it has more roll, so it becomes pot+str/cmp+dex roll instead)))
((That doesn't change the fact that—if you flub *one* roll, and it's a roll you likely have penalties on—your opponent has a 100% chance to kill you. One-turn kills should require creativity and preparati
on, and no, essences don't count as preparation.))
((Remember 'or less'? You could essentially insta-incapicate someone without using any essences at all.))
((I'm aware. My point was that if you fail to interrupt them—which is extremely likely, if you just joined haven't pumped up STR—the other person can definitely kill you.))

Out of curiosity: DG, could you run the numbers on incapacitating/interrupting someone with an unarmed blow? Or, if that takes too much time, I'd like to know the minimum rolls required to interrupt someone with a punch.))
((The thing is, the force caused by the spell could be used to amplify the force of the punch(STR roll is supported by POT roll). Fail on CMP, and you lose your arm(and life).))
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: December 13, 2015, 11:55:36 am »

5/36
((Thanks. That probably gets a bit better with a huge DEX penalty, but it's still probably not good odds.))

((The thing is, the force caused by the spell could be used to amplify the force of the punch(STR roll is supported by POT roll). Fail on CMP, and you lose your arm(and life).))
((Not everyone has affinities that can support them in unarmed combat, and that just adds two more rolls they can fail. Trying to boost a punch would only make things worse, unless you used essences.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: December 13, 2015, 03:13:45 pm »

((There is an argument to be made, that being mages, you are better at magic than you are at fist-fighting.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: December 13, 2015, 03:36:24 pm »

Remember Whaz the Gloomy? Or Azenfar the Quick Death? Now those were two mages who could really hold their own in a fist fight.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: December 13, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »

Remember Whaz the Gloomy? Or Azenfar the Quick Death? Now those were two mages who could really hold their own in a fist fight.
((If they hadn't come here, they would had had decent chances at becoming the Archchancellor of Unseen University.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: December 13, 2015, 05:59:39 pm »

((I've thought things over, and I feel like fighting should be more about quick actions and spellcasting, rather than "kabam I kill you" spells all over.

Combat penalties would help, but if the opponent is unable to stop your amazing buffed spell, he's doomed. Imagine getting laser blasted from across a hex or two, and a homing modifier. No chance. Laser. FAL (fast as light). Even worse, the mage who did that to you simply blasted it out of nowhere with a 100% success rate cause he dumped a lot of essences in, as if there was no nerf at all.

Essence caps could fix that last part, though it would prevent anyone from attempting any particularly powerful spells on their own; alliances would become much more important, and then we get locked in a Cold War-type scenario. Doesn't sound like much fun.

Finally, there's the ritual magic thing. I imagine the old essences could be ejected into the world as usable trinkets for the rituals (so they don't just poof into nothing). Any cross-the-map instakill spells would require both time and resources, giving any potential targets time to prepare and increase chances of survival - or to attempt to mess up the ritual. In fights, the mages would be left with smaller spells and their items, leading to more strategy- and luck-driven battles.

My final vote is for rituals.

(And by the way, has anyone heard of Avatar: The Last Airbender TV series? You basically HAD to be good at fighting to do any good fire/earthbending.)))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: December 13, 2015, 06:00:45 pm »

((If they hadn't come here, they would had had decent chances at becoming the Archchancellor of Unseen University.))

((Because they were actually fit?

...It sounds like mages outside the island are even more incompetent than we are.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: December 13, 2015, 06:18:31 pm »

((Because they were actually fit?

...It sounds like mages outside the island are even more incompetent than we are.))

Consider this: The castle was a colaborative effort, and it took 130 POT. So for a solo mage, that would be 200 POT, or so. While length of a turn in a value entirely related to the plot, it is usually below one minute. Jase could build a fortress against both physical and magical, with dangerous traps inside and magical cannons outside in less than four hours.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: December 13, 2015, 07:23:30 pm »

Consider this: The castle was a colaborative effort, and it took 130 POT. So for a solo mage, that would be 200 POT, or so. While length of a turn in a value entirely related to the plot, it is usually below one minute. Jase could build a fortress against both physical and magical, with dangerous traps inside and magical cannons outside in less than four hours.

((So, we're not lousy mages after all? Neat.

Actually... given 24 hours, we could probably conquer the multiverse. Anyone else want to give that a shot?))

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: December 13, 2015, 08:07:17 pm »

((lets start smaller, lets conquer that forest first. we can enslave the ents))
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: December 13, 2015, 08:11:48 pm »

((Ha-ha-ha. Very funny. I'll look for your dead body in the bushes later.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: December 13, 2015, 08:48:12 pm »

((Ha-ha-ha. Very funny. I'll look for your dead body in the bushes later.))
((Little did anyone know but in the reality, the ents are more powerful than any of us mere mages. Because they maintain the natural balance on the duck or something like that))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: December 13, 2015, 10:37:27 pm »

((Poketwo got banned, which is unfortunate because he just woke up for his fight against Kahel and I wanted to see how that went.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: December 13, 2015, 11:50:28 pm »

((Another name onto the list. I should write those names down somewhere before I forget them...))

((Poketwo got banned, which is unfortunate because he just woke up for his fight against Kahel and I wanted to see how that went.))

Really? What he did to earn that?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: December 13, 2015, 11:56:59 pm »

I don't know, wasn't there when it happened. Just saw a post saying he was banned.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 506