Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 977384 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4500 on: June 23, 2016, 09:11:37 pm »

In the DoW 3 trailer, who's providing the voice over? Where do the words come from?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:20:23 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: June 23, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »

Blanks aren't simply soulless, they disrupt warp more than inanimate objects do. Obviously they.have anti-souls, which go to the anti-warp when they die, at which point they can coalesce into the anti-Emporor. :P
And it wouldn't kill all life. At the least, the blanks we didn't kill would survive. :P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: June 23, 2016, 09:26:31 pm »

They have "anti-souls" in that their souls are warp-negative, but even baseline humans are strongly warp-positive compared to the zero point of no warp disruption. It still does not imply the existence of warp values below zero, it's just that splashing a daemon with bolts from an Omega Pariah is like splashing a human with normal, everyday oxygen cooled to absolute zero. Humans breathe oxygen every day right, that shouldn't cause any harm!

It's hard to say if the warp sever would kill Blanks too. That might be a rather oblique form of human victory, in that only humans and crons survive the warpocalypse. Personally, my answer is that Blanks aren't real people, but are actually philosophical zombies. They would survive in the same way that servitors would survive, not meaningfully.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: June 23, 2016, 09:26:47 pm »

Unless there's a chaos god of null, waiting to be born...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4504 on: June 23, 2016, 09:32:57 pm »

tfw you're the last pariahs of the galaxy sipping amasec with skellyfrends until the end of time

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: June 23, 2016, 09:39:11 pm »

"Philosophical Zombies"? Gimme a break, if they live and think, they're as alive as I am, afterlife optional.
#TranshumanEthics

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: June 23, 2016, 09:43:20 pm »

If they don't have qualia then they don't live outside of being organic and definitely don't think, they're just automatons.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: June 23, 2016, 09:50:33 pm »

If they can't think, then why do they behave exactly the same as real human in every way?
This isn't a real virus. It's a grain of philosophical dust. It's exactly the same as a virus in every way, but it's just dust.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: June 23, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »

Because the human machine has a seat in the form of the soul, which Blanks do not have. Though the gears may turn without a master, there is nothing behind the curtain but the emergent complexity of the universe.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4509 on: June 23, 2016, 10:04:26 pm »

I don't think blanks are just biological simulations of humans... Unless the C'tan did that all according to keikaku

intelligent design > evolution

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: June 23, 2016, 10:12:02 pm »

Because the human machine has a seat in the form of the soul, which Blanks do not have. Though the gears may turn without a master, there is nothing behind the curtain but the emergent complexity of the universe.
So they're IRL humans?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: June 23, 2016, 10:26:05 pm »

So they're IRL humans?
We all philozombies now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: June 23, 2016, 10:34:51 pm »

Don't bother, he's not really there. I should know, as the only verifiable intelligence in the universe I'm probably an amnesiac god or something anyway, it's the only possibility that makes logical sense enured in all you p-zombies.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: June 23, 2016, 10:42:37 pm »

It still does not imply the existence of warp values below zero, it's just that splashing a daemon with bolts from an Omega Pariah is like splashing a human with normal, everyday oxygen cooled to absolute zero. Humans breathe oxygen every day right, that shouldn't cause any harm!

I just want to thank you for pointing that out. Goodness it drives me nuts to explain it to some people in other pieces of fiction.

I mean... Snakes have venom but they aren't immune to their own venom.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: June 23, 2016, 11:19:14 pm »

Don't bother, he's not really there. I should know, as the only verifiable intelligence in the universe I'm probably an amnesiac god or something anyway, it's the only possibility that makes logical sense enured in all you p-zombies.
How can you be sure you're a verifiable intelligence, and not just an automaton set up to send signals within itself that resemble a verifiable intelligence when viewed internally?

How do you know that you aren't the simulation, SlimeHunt?

How do you know we haven't started the tests already?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 824