Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 969008 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4470 on: June 17, 2016, 02:46:32 am »

Or try ultimate apocalypse mod for DOW I if you wanna see how ridiculous battles can get.

20+ leman russes leading a charge, with loads of infantry waiting in dropships to be deployed? Yes please.

Edit: or try being ninja'd, always fun as well.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: June 17, 2016, 08:39:38 am »

WAS SOMEONE TALKING ABOUT BATTLEFLEET GOTHIC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxdtigmeDY

Ave Imperator
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: June 17, 2016, 07:00:53 pm »

Wait, we can play as Dante?

O boy
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: June 19, 2016, 05:04:34 pm »

Decided to make a simple Chaos Leman Russ conversion for my Renegades force.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall happy with it, though I'd like to get a stencil to add some decent chaos sigils to it, painting them free hand is tricky.

In other news I plan to try and make a Renegade leader based off of Mr Torgue from Borderlands to lead an artillery list.

EXPLOSIONS!!!
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: June 19, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »

Sexy conversion work.
If those spikes came from a rhino kit I know a couple chaos sigils come from there too.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: June 20, 2016, 06:31:45 am »

Sexy conversion work.

Thanks.

If those spikes came from a rhino kit I know a couple chaos sigils come from there too.

I thought about using one or two of those, but I'd like to get a stencil that'll let me do a biiiiiig chaos star rising up partway across the side of the tank.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: June 20, 2016, 08:47:17 am »

Not sure if I've ever posted my vindicator here, but it's got a thousand-sons halfsun centered over the hatch.
A chaos star on the same... Not sure how it'd work on a russ but it could be sick.

Plus jagged edges would look better so you could get away with freehand.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: June 20, 2016, 08:49:33 am »

Or try ultimate apocalypse mod for DOW I if you wanna see how ridiculous battles can get.

20+ leman russes leading a charge, with loads of infantry waiting in dropships to be deployed? Yes please.

Edit: or try being ninja'd, always fun as well.

Don't forget the Chekov(I think) tactic of building several bases near your frontline and setting them to spew free conscripts eternally as a meatshield the AI can't get transports through because it doesn't understand Ram mode
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: June 20, 2016, 09:30:07 am »

Not sure if I've ever posted my vindicator here, but it's got a thousand-sons halfsun centered over the hatch.
A chaos star on the same... Not sure how it'd work on a russ but it could be sick.

Plus jagged edges would look better so you could get away with freehand.

Based on the FW colourschemes a star on a russ is normally not complete, so the center is towards the corner of one of the tracks and then stretches inwards from there. Based on the ones I've seen they're usually airbrushed on with stencils and then roughened up by hand. The problem with doing it freehand isn't that I'd get a jagged finish, it's that I'd get a somewhat rounded finish.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: June 22, 2016, 06:25:20 pm »

Just a thought I had, the 40k lore has plenty of characters that turn to chaos, but does it also have characters that somehow turn their backs on chaos and free themself from its corrupting influence?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: June 22, 2016, 06:28:41 pm »

Um.

Only character I can think of that is influenced by chaos and doesn't die in their redemption is Kais, who in the book (in the game he's just fucking Rambo) is influenced by Khorne, but breaks free eventually, and is probably later a commander in the Dawn of War games.

Generally, though, Chaos leaves a taint, which can't really be removed. Much safer to just blam the afflicted once things are more settled.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: June 22, 2016, 06:40:36 pm »

Redeemed cultists are a thing, and they occasionally are found among the ranks of Inquisitorial retinues because they possess useful knowledge to aid in combating the forces they once served. There were rules for them in the Tabletop game a long time ago and there are rules to represent them in the Dark Heresy RPG.

They are still corrupt and most likely damned though, and are basically getting a stay of execution in exchange for spending their remaining days fighting out of penitence.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4482 on: June 22, 2016, 06:42:07 pm »

Just a thought I had, the 40k lore has plenty of characters that turn to chaos, but does it also have characters that somehow turn their backs on chaos and free themself from its corrupting influence?
There's an entire chapter of renegades called the Soul Drinkers that manage to do that, but chaos mutations are permanent an the taint is permanent. Risk of relapse (which for them is high as well) as well as the mere knowledge of chaos being a sketchy subject in the Imperium means there are no second chances for those who have turned to chaos (at least, short of those who take suicide missions. I do recall one story where an Imperial Guardsman from a penal legion gets possessed and in a moment of clarity induced by a psyker null, decides to launch a suicide attack to do the Imperium one last service).
Then there are the peoples that manage to live in Chaos worlds/Chaos influence/Chaos occupied worlds and not bear chaos taint at all, like the Partisans in Gaunts Ghosts or the Cadians who have limited (potentially warp related) mutations that cause their eyes to be pink. Admittedly the latter have loads of heretics and mutants anyways, and the former may have been sheltered due to their intense faith, remote location and ritual use of poison lotions.
So in short, there are people who turn their backs on Chaos, but unless you find a rogue inquisitor willing to accept you, the Imperium will sooner shoot you if it discovers your previous affiliation than accept you. That sounds like a cool story idea actually, a reformed heretic trying to escape notice from his chaos tats, or try to avoid cultists bringing him back into service.

There is of course, always a third way out. There's a really neat short story where a 40k governor is doing normal governor things.
Lazing about, living in luxury, doing whatever to pass the time - just making sure the Imperial tithes get sent in time. He's not too pleased with the Imperium and he is only grudgingly tolerant of their presence, not even being a fan of Empy.
Further down the line his incompetence results in Tzeentchi, Nurgly and Slaaneshi demons exploding forth from various parts of the planet. The governor gets so angry that it opens up a Khornate rift, completing the Chaos takeover with his one last act of incompetence.
Then in a moment that for just that moment scares even the Bloodletters (unsure as to why the governor was no longer scared) that just appeared in his office, he realizes he can tell both Chaos and the Emperor to fuck off - shooting himself in the head.
So yeah the third way out is suicide
grimdark

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: June 22, 2016, 09:05:11 pm »

Ehh, IMO the soul drinkers were being misled by a greater daemon of tzeentch, and when he pulled the 'you've been working for chaos all along! Look how gross your mutations are! Now work for me because you have no self-respect!', they butchered him. Ergo I wouldn't exactly say they turned to chaos.

Uh, I know a story of one grey knight who becomes a champion of khorne and fights in the gladiator pits for a year and then suddenly snaps back to his senses and destroys the whole daemon world he's on.
But you're never sure whether or not it was 'just as planned' all along.

Then there's another book (which I can't remember for the life of me) which also has a 'chaos' space marine who decides to blow up an eldar crone world made daemon world because of his sudden imperial loyalties.
But that one I read a very long time ago so I can't be sure that's right.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: June 22, 2016, 09:49:06 pm »

Honestly "All according to plan" guy... I think is just flat out full of it.

But then again... It is perfectly within his character AND interpretation to believe that he fails all the time and masks it by saying it was all according to plan. HECK overplanning is one of his huge weaknesses... He is the Mean Machine of Chaos Gods.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 824