Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316632 times)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2014, 03:41:05 pm »

Uhh... How do I go about creating a unicorn with a steel horn?

Looking at the tissue_template_default, I think that I'll just have to somewhere in the unicorn file specify that the material of the horn is to be steel, and then the tissue_template will grab that value and use it for the tissue?

How would I go about specifying that the horn should be steel?

What I tried so far is to simply change
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE]
to
[USE_MATERIAL:HORN:INORGANIC:HORN_UNICORN]

But when I killed and butchered the unicorn in the arena, it had no horn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HORN:<a tissue made of steel you define>]
Here's an example tissue:
   [TISSUE:BLADE]
      [TISSUE_NAME:metal:NP]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
      [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
      [HEALING_RATE:200]
      [CONNECTS]
      [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

Thank you, now it drops (Insert unicorn's name)'s horn steel, which is definitely progress. Is there any way for me to make it drop just "steel"?

Edit:
Spoiler: Current relevant raws (click to show/hide)
Honestly, not entirely sure. I'm thinking it'll always still have the name attached though, since it came from that creature.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »

You can also just use EBO tags (extra butcher objects) to drop whatever you feel like as an extra item upon butchering. An animal can drop a stone ladle if you want, without any connection to tissues.

Thanks, didn't know about this. :o This will be really useful, seeing as I'm working on a rather "gamey" mod :D

Honestly, not entirely sure. I'm thinking it'll always still have the name attached though, since it came from that creature.

Alright :o Would it be possible to make the unicorn not drop the horn, but still keep it? Then I could add a drop with the EBO tags.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2014, 03:52:57 pm »

The way I got rid of those for wool and linen (so they'd stop appearing as sheep wool felt and rope reed linen) was to add NO_PREFIX into the appropriate USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE mess, like here:

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:THREAD:THREAD_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:cave cotton]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:linen]
[THREAD:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:THREAD]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[PREFIX:NONE]

Since you're using a ready-to-go inorganic material, that might be a little more tricky.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:56:02 pm by scamtank »

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2014, 03:56:43 pm »

You can also just use EBO tags (extra butcher objects) to drop whatever you feel like as an extra item upon butchering. An animal can drop a stone ladle if you want, without any connection to tissues.

Thanks, didn't know about this. :o This will be really useful, seeing as I'm working on a rather "gamey" mod :D

Alright :o Would it be possible to make the unicorn not drop the horn, but still keep it? Then I could add a drop with the EBO tags.
I'm pretty sure [SMALL] on a BP means it won't be dropped.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2014, 04:14:03 pm »

So I did the smart thing and deleted the PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE tag from the skull in body_rcp.txt, then tested in arena with a bronze colossus and kobold. The whole "crush a dude's eye with a punch without hurting the rest of his face" is due to a quirk of aiming attacks, not the PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE tag.

So I don't know what that tag does then. It'd be nice if Toady provided official documentation of what each tag in the raws does. Would be a lot of writing though.

I would be surprised if DF used long ints. I thought every variable was 32 bit integer?
IIRC temperature has a maximum value of 65,000 whatever that an unsigned long int would have (from absolute zero to dragonfire at around 50,000 urists, plus a little head room).

But if lower numbers of healing are faster, it's a moot point for these purposes. 

Did you actually test it though? A body made out of adamantine or whatever = not gonna get pulped in one hit probably, which then gives it time to heal before the next hit. It doesn't have to LITERALLY be 100% invulnerable in order to be for all intents of practical purposes invulnerable in-game.

Whether I have the material for the part with the [UPPERBODY] as adamantine or the material I made that is stronger than adamantine it ultimately gets pulped. This is even with the healing rate set to 1. A strong enough attack will just pulp it. I'm beginning to think that immortality isn't possible anymore or will require some very clever token abuse. I suppose I'll wait and see what mods the community comes up with.

I dug through the string dump list that Xangi was kind enough to provide us with earlier and found this tag [PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE]. I applied it to just the 'core' body part but that did nothing. Then I applied it to the core and the upper body and it still did nothing. Then I got really frustrated and applied it to every single body part. I think it worked. I have two of these (hopefully)unkillable creatures going at it in the arena for the last five minutes straight and neither has been able to kill the other yet. Usually one of them is dead within a few seconds. I'm going to test it a bit more to see how it works exactly but I think this may be a tag to prevent pulping.

Edit: Just had this creature up against Putnam's God of Destruction from his DBZ mod and it comes out on top every time. I can't seem to get a long test with two of them fighting for more than a few minutes without the game crashing. Could be the result of a flood of hacked off and regenerated body parts all over the place.

Here is a link to the creature in case anyone feels like messing with it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33114737/Regenerator_DF2014.zip
._.

King Kravoka

« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2014, 04:24:05 pm »

Is it possible to make custom sites now?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2014, 04:25:13 pm »

I can't seem to find the [SMALL] tag he mentioned, but try that first.

If it doesn't work, another option might be making the horn material out of gas?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2014, 04:26:07 pm »

I can't seem to find the [SMALL] tag he mentioned, but try that first.

If it doesn't work, another option might be making the horn material out of gas?
It's for body parts. You'll need a custom horn.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2014, 04:28:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure [SMALL] on a BP means it won't be dropped.

Thank you :D So I could just create a new bodypart for unicorn horns, add [SMALL] to it and then add my custom drop?

I think I found a work-around though... Just started learning to do reactions, apparently I can use one material (unicorn horn, for example) and then use it to create an object of another material. Sorry about that :p

I'm not quite understanding reactions either. I get the concept, but I get confused with all the NONE's. The following works until I select the knife, so it's either the knife reagent or the product that crashes the game for me. Any hints as to which part is wrong would be greatly appreciated. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:51 pm »

Ok, so what I got out of that is that PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE when applied to every body part of a creature makes it utterly immune to pulping. If there's a part that isn't immune to pulping, that part can eventually get pulped. Cool.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2014, 04:31:24 pm »

ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_CARVING and ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER are both subtypes, you're missing the actual item tokens. Put "TOOL:" and "WEAPON:" in front of them, respectively.

Try this:
[REACTION:MAKE_DAGGER_FROM_HORN]
[NAME:craft a unicorn horn dagger]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:unicorn horn:1:CORPSEPIECE:CREATURE_MAT:UNICORN:HORN]
[REAGENT:knife:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_CARVING:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[SKILL:BONECARVE][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:34:56 pm by scamtank »

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2014, 04:36:14 pm »

Ok, so what I got out of that is that PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE when applied to every body part of a creature makes it utterly immune to pulping. If there's a part that isn't immune to pulping, that part can eventually get pulped. Cool.

I tried removing the tag from every part but the chest, torso, and core and it could still die from pulping. I didn't test exactly how many parts need to have the tag before it is still immortal. I'm thinking that the chest, head, torso, upper arms and upper legs need to have it. Basically every single part that is attached to the part that has the [UPPERBODY] token. I'm still too lazy to test it further because I'm totally satisfied with how it's working right now.

Now if only I could get it to bleed but not die from blood loss it would be complete...

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2014, 04:40:31 pm »

ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_CARVING and ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER are both subtypes, you're missing the actual item tokens. Put "TOOL:" and "WEAPON:" in front of them, respectively.

Try this:
[REACTION:MAKE_DAGGER_FROM_HORN]
[NAME:craft a unicorn horn dagger]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:unicorn horn:1:CORPSEPIECE:CREATURE_MAT:UNICORN:HORN]
[REAGENT:knife:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_CARVING:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[SKILL:BONECARVE][/spoiler]

Thank you, works like a charm. :D

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2014, 04:48:02 pm »

I get confused with all the NONE's
NONE in some cases is basically a wildcard.

In a reagent, NONE means "anything that could go here, including actually 'none' itself" so TOOL:NONE:NONE:NONE = "any tool, of any subtype like ladles or cauldrons or pots, made out of any material and any material subtype." NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE = "any item at all" which peopla actually do use sometimes in conjunction with [REACTION_CLASS:SAUSAGE] or whatever, in which case it becomes "any item at all whose materials has a SAUSAGE reaction class tag in its raws"

In a product, however you would only use NONE when there actually is no tag you could put there. Such as "WOOD:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:LARCH:WOOD"  WOOD is the item token for logs, which has no subtypes at all, so NONE is the second word.

I THINK (not 100% sure, easy to test though) that if you use NONE in a product in a place where there are actually options, it will randomly choose one of the options on the fly. Or it just won't work. Not sure which.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:50:00 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2014, 05:15:34 pm »

Now if only I could get it to bleed but not die from blood loss it would be complete...

Make a fake blood tissue layer and remove the [BLOOD] tag from it. you will get weird combat messages but it will bleed and not die.

[TISSUE:BLOOD]
[TISSUE_NAME:blood:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD]
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:LIQUID]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[HEALING_RATE:1]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

[TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BLOOD] -- this should place the blood under the topmost layer if you use it after the BDP that layers your creature.

Also want to know and tossing this out there as it will take me time to try it myself. Since Gaits are creature variants, and they take ARGs 6 of them to be exact. does this mean we can toss args into other creature_variant classes? and can it be only numbers? or is these args only allowed for a CV that is all about GAIT.

EX.
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:HAS_BABY_CHILD:1:2]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 247