Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316609 times)

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:47 pm »

What kinds of plants govern [OUTDOOR_GARDEN] and [INDOOR_GARDEN]?  Does this have to do with whether the plant has harvestable growths?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:09 pm »

stuff
I doubt this has anything to do with it but [DIFFICULTY:10 hasn't been "closed", so it's probably still trying to read it as it goes.

I think the spit melts stuff because of the lines at the end, which makes the creature fireproof (and, I think, raise the heat of all its materials)

Could you remove the wings and add [FLIER] to the creature and tell me what happens? I'm at work and thus can't test it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »

Did some quick testing in the arena of weapon start up and recovery times. I think the numbers in  [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:NUMBER:NUMBER] measure the number of ticks in adventure mode units. While viewing battles in fort mode, having changed mauls to take 6 ticks to attack and recover rather than 3, it definitely doesn't take 6 presses of . to see a hammerman attack with the maul before attacking again.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2014, 01:01:51 pm »

Did some quick testing in the arena of weapon start up and recovery times. I think the numbers in  [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:NUMBER:NUMBER] measure the number of ticks in adventure mode units. While viewing battles in fort mode, having changed mauls to take 6 ticks to attack and recover rather than 3, it definitely doesn't take 6 presses of . to see a hammerman attack with the maul before attacking again.
Isn't fort time kind of weird anyway?
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2014, 01:04:42 pm »

I've always got the impression that dwarven circadian rhythms are like Wagner operas. Same for drinking and eating seemingly. 

Speaking of which, that ingested syndrome might need to last longer to get a decent effect.  I always make them last 5 days or so, so that it doesn't wear out as soon as you finish the drink.

Nero1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible majestry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »

stuff
I doubt this has anything to do with it but [DIFFICULTY:10 hasn't been "closed", so it's probably still trying to read it as it goes.

I think the spit melts stuff because of the lines at the end, which makes the creature fireproof (and, I think, raise the heat of all its materials)

Could you remove the wings and add [FLIER] to the creature and tell me what happens? I'm at work and thus can't test it.

DF didn't complain about the un-closed token (and the error log reflects that) but that has been fixed.

Removed the wings but kept the [FLIER] and flying gaits related tokens and I still got the flight speed related controls (even while still on the ground) in the sneak menu. The same thing also happens with the standard bird people (tested w/ raven man and eagle man) as well. I'm assuming this is a bug.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2014, 01:22:13 pm »

I think it's safe to assume that all prior bets on how time works on dwarf actions are off.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2014, 01:35:04 pm »

Isn't 1 Fort click worth 72 Adventure clicks?  I doubt that the conversion is that simple because then every attack would take 1 fort tick, but it'd be simple to test with attack and recovery times in multiples of 72.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2014, 01:46:03 pm »

That tag also dictates "industrial trances" - strange moods.

No it doesn't.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2014, 01:47:49 pm »

Isn't 1 Fort click worth 72 Adventure clicks?  I doubt that the conversion is that simple because then every attack would take 1 fort tick, but it'd be simple to test with attack and recovery times in multiples of 72.
For the record, yes, it seems all attacks viewed in fort mode take 1 tick.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2014, 01:51:02 pm »

So that '3' number in prepare:recover translates into 1 dwarf mode tick?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2014, 01:55:15 pm »

From what Spehss_ is saying, it's more like 1/24th of a fort tick, but gets rounded up to one.

I would listen to what Spehss_ says, otherwise he might pulp your eyeball with a huge hammer, leaving your skull undamaged :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2014, 01:55:42 pm »

stuff

DF didn't complain about the un-closed token (and the error log reflects that) but that has been fixed.

Removed the wings but kept the [FLIER] and flying gaits related tokens and I still got the flight speed related controls (even while still on the ground) in the sneak menu. The same thing also happens with the standard bird people (tested w/ raven man and eagle man) as well. I'm assuming this is a bug.
That's probably it.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 10, 2014, 01:55:54 pm »

No, changing two handed weapons like the maul to have twice the time, by changing 3:3 to 6:6, results in attacks still taking 1 tick to process in fort time.

I swear I remember reading somewhere about the exact measurements of fort time in comparison to adventure time (heh). Can't remember the specifics but I think it was brought up during a discussion about weaponizing werebeasts and lunar cycles in fort mode.

Quote from: from wiki
How much a tick in time is worth against the yearly dwarven calendar depends on the game mode, as time in fortress mode is much more heavily accelerated than it is in adventurer mode. Fortress mode counts 1200 ticks per day and 403200 per year, while adventurer mode counts 86400 ticks to a day and therefore 29030400 ticks per year. According to these rates, each tick is equivalent to a real-world second in adventurer mode, but 1.2 minutes in fortress mode, making adventurers 72 times faster than your dwarves tick-for-tick. This is intended behavior, as the pacing in fortress mode is much, much faster than when adventuring.

So, if the tag is based around adventurer time, a typical weapon like a warhammer would take 3 seconds irl to attack and recover, and in adventure mode it'd take 3 ticks each, while in fort mode all attacks would be completed in a tick. Either way, what matters is probably which weapon is faster. If an attacker has a sword that takes 3 units of time to attack and 3 to recover, while the defender has a huge axe that takes 6 units to attack and recover, the sword has more potential to inflict damage or interrupt the opponent's attack.

This is all hypothetical, since I haven't tested this extensively outside of "fort mode all weapons attack in one tick."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:07:27 pm by Spehss _ »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 10, 2014, 02:06:49 pm »

It is not a bug. Note that most birds have 1kph gaits for walking; they're intended to be flying all the time or crippled in speed when their wings are gone.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 247