Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316613 times)

Dwimenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #825 on: August 21, 2014, 04:31:23 am »

What will happen if I give dragon [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:15] instead of 1, like many mods do?

I know how NATURAL_SKILL token works in general (sets skill to specified level. 15 = legendary).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:46 am »

Can't figure out how alluvial layers work; The wiki is quite vague about them. It seems to work like a layer type in that you can get minerals to spawn in them, but you can't specify that a layer mineral is alluvial like you can sedimentary, metamorphic, etc.

In past versions civs with access to river goods would have access to jade and jade crafts, but your fort could not find jade underground. Now you can find a few different coloured varieties as gemstones which only appear in an alluvial environment.

If it wasn't for reports of people finding jade in game I'd think alluvial stones were non-existent / unimplemented.

Does anyone know the mechanics that determine if a mineral is alluvial? I suspect sedimentary stones around rivers / lakes maybe.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 21, 2014, 11:57:25 am »

Alluvial stuff is weird. It looks like that instead of being a legit mineral environment, it's a modifier that's tacked on top of an existing one. If the ALLUVIAL flag goes up, CLUSTER_SMALL deposits are allocated to the soil layers and the whole pre-cavern strata is eligible to carry alluvial minerals as well.

I don't have hard data, but it's reasonable to assume that river banks are likely alluvial sites.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 21, 2014, 01:10:09 pm »

One mineral in Nchardahrk (orichalcum) is alluvial. I often find it near glaciers. So I guess anywhere near rivers, lakes and glaciers should count. Needs testing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #829 on: August 21, 2014, 03:56:25 pm »

Another question:

Can you add multiple adjectives to an item?
IE: If I added 'rusty' to the 'copper dagger' entry, alongside 'large' would the game

A: Break
B: Add both to the dagger
C: Randomly select one to add to the dagger

And also: which files have the 'Death.... the horror...' style dialogue in them?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:17:21 pm by WordsandChaos »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 21, 2014, 04:37:27 pm »

1.) The latter overwrites the former. Only one is allowed.
2.) Inside the executable.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 21, 2014, 04:45:24 pm »

Do NPRs need nobles?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 21, 2014, 04:54:15 pm »

which files have the 'Death.... the horror...' style dialogue in them?

"Death.. the horror..." and suchlike are in the string dump, which means they're hardcoded.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 21, 2014, 05:01:07 pm »

"Death.. the horror..." and suchlike are in the string dump, which means they're hardcoded.
There are a couple tools that can change most of the hardcoded text.  One requires changing the executable itself (I think Masterwork uses that one) and the other hooks through SDL.dll but can only affect TTF text.  The second one could, in theory, inject a bit more diversity into conversations, but it'd be a monumental effort.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

King Kravoka

« Reply #834 on: August 22, 2014, 12:21:45 am »

How do I make it so a only members of a special queen caste can rule a civilization?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 22, 2014, 12:25:59 am »

Give the position [ALLOWED_CREATURE:CREATURE:CASTE]

Where CREATURE is your creature's ID and CASTE is the caste's ID.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #836 on: August 22, 2014, 01:28:26 am »

There are a couple tools that can change most of the hardcoded text.  One requires changing the executable itself (I think Masterwork uses that one) and the other hooks through SDL.dll but can only affect TTF text.  The second one could, in theory, inject a bit more diversity into conversations, but it'd be a monumental effort.

Ah, when I didn't see them in the speech folder I had the suspicion that's what the situation was. It's a shame, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go messing around with the executable.

1.) The latter overwrites the former. Only one is allowed.

Aaah, ok. That's useful information.

Cheers for the help, guys.

Edit:

Yet more confusion: reactions this time.

Are we not allowed to specify wood as a reagent material? EG: [REAGENT:A:1:ITEM_WEAPON:WOOD:NONE:NONE] won't work because the game doesn't understand wood as a reagent?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:30:47 pm by WordsandChaos »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 22, 2014, 07:41:18 pm »

Edit:

Are we not allowed to specify wood as a reagent material? EG: [REAGENT:A:1:ITEM_WEAPON:WOOD:NONE:NONE] won't work because the game doesn't understand wood as a reagent?
PLANT_MAT (though it will accept any plant mat, so don't make strawberry whips :P) also one of those NONEs needs to swap with WOOD/PLANT_MAT as it is currently looking for any weapon called WOOD

WOOD is a material token
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #838 on: August 23, 2014, 05:30:32 am »

Edit:

PLANT_MAT (though it will accept any plant mat, so don't make strawberry whips :P) also one of those NONEs needs to swap with WOOD/PLANT_MAT as it is currently looking for any weapon called WOOD

WOOD is a material token

I can use my wood as a weapon! Err... wait...

So a couple of observations:

Adjectives:

I modded four kinds of club into the game and then built them in a workshop. However, the orders list had four 'Make club' options, - each standing for the variations, but none specified. So to differentiate between them you could add the adjective into the title, but then you'd get [adjective][namewithadjective] - eg: small small club.
So it seems like you may as well ignore the adjective and just name the item including the adjective in the title.

However:

Item distinctions: Colour me baffled.

The game doesn't distinguish between these objects when it comes to crafting. They exist seperately, but you can only craft the fourth object a great club - which I haven't even made the reaction for yet. 

Items:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm aiming for: Make wooden club/Make small wooden club
What I get in fortress mode is : Make wooden great club

Looking at object testing, it's stopped distinguishing between them now. It just has great clubs available. So previously it was distinguishing between them by adjective before... but that creates the above (albeit minor) naming problem.

I assume it's just picking the biggest club available to the race and going with that one. Which is technically fine... but not quite what I was after.

I cannot make head not tails of the logic here.

Sorry for the spam, but I didn't want to make an entire thread revolving around some system quirks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:42:17 am by WordsandChaos »

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 23, 2014, 06:11:11 am »

Why are you making clubs out of clubs?

Reagent is the thing that's consumed in the reaction to make the product. Maybe it'd work better if you made the reagent something like [REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE] or something - you want to double-check if that's the right item and material token.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 247