Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316666 times)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #855 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:39 pm »

Can they grasp things with their hand-analogues? Considering it's a scratch-made race, it's plausible that there's a few glitches in the body plans.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 23, 2014, 12:52:43 pm »

Oh. Well they have natural weapon skills, and are able to smelt and make/use the same weapons as humans. Plus steel. But in adventure mode, their towns are stocked full of wrestlers. Would it fix it if I took away the natural combat? They're all set to be professional biters naturally, then novice sword, spear, and shield users.

I'll check into the hand idea. Can I give them scratching and wielding?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 23, 2014, 12:56:25 pm »

Naturally Professional biters?! Shit, no wonder. Yeah dial that down first thing.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 23, 2014, 12:58:26 pm »

I didn't know biting counted towards wrestler, thought it was a backup skill, like fighter, in a way. Thanks!
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 23, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »

Oh. Well they have natural weapon skills, and are able to smelt and make/use the same weapons as humans. Plus steel. But in adventure mode, their towns are stocked full of wrestlers. Would it fix it if I took away the natural combat? They're all set to be professional biters naturally, then novice sword, spear, and shield users.

They're considered wrestlers (all unarmed skills) because it is likely their highest skill (Professional is pretty high), they almost certainly have other professions and actual soldiers might dip above professional and be called something else. Note that any soldiers/woodcutters/miners will still have weapons and still use them, so it is sort of a non-issue.

:Ninja'd
Your second paragraph is confusing on so many levels. Hand-analogues are appendages with [GRASP] in body_default (or whatever). Scratching is a natural attack that can be found on most creatures, so they can do that and wield a weapon.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 23, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »

Update on the Kobold Shovel situation, I tried using "Play now!" instead of preparing for the journey carefully and embarked with two bronze training shovels somehow. Yes, bronze training shovels. I'm starting to think that giving a weapon the [SKILL:MINING] tag might have some hard coded weirdness.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 23, 2014, 01:20:04 pm »

Update on the Kobold Shovel situation, I tried using "Play now!" instead of preparing for the journey carefully and embarked with two bronze training shovels somehow. Yes, bronze training shovels. I'm starting to think that giving a weapon the [SKILL:MINING] tag might have some hard coded weirdness.

That's interesting. I've once encountered metal training weapons when I changed the training spear's stab attack to do edged damage. Though they only appeared when I started a spear-using adventurer.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #862 on: August 23, 2014, 01:51:57 pm »

I'm back! Sorry for the spam and thanks for all the help so far. I'll shut up soon.

Does anybody have any idea why this won't work:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And is this even possible? (Yes. I'm trying to make a club out of corpse meat.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried adding CORPSE and CORPSEPIECE to regents, but after looking at the raws for some of the reactions in Genesis it seems like this should work. Unfortunately neither show up in the crafting options.
If they aren't even appearing then you haven't permitted it in the entity or you aren't looking in the craftsdwarf shop (building where it should appear based on BUILDING) or your reaction file is missing the appropriate headers.

Whether it will run as intended I don't know (is corpse club supposed to make meat clubs? you've only specified that it use a corpse's material and it will use the most present IE usually muscle).

Ah, it was the missing entity permission! Derp. Thank you!
And yes, essentially I imagined a club made out of meat and bone. Like someone had stuck a discarded lower leg on a length of metal, or was just grabbing half an arm with the bone stick out and going to town...
(In DF's literal case just meat.... completely useless, but pretty fun.)

But riddle me this: My wooden clubs didn't need to be added to my civs entity permissions. They still showed up. So what's going on in this case?

Nero1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible majestry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #863 on: August 23, 2014, 01:59:55 pm »

Is your race naked (like no clothes in their inventory, nor any weapons) in Fort/Adventure mode by any chance? Even if it has grasping parts if the creature doesn't have the [EQUIPS] token they won't equip anything.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 23, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »

And yes, essentially I imagined a club made out of meat and bone. Like someone had stuck a discarded lower leg on a length of metal, or was just grabbing half an arm with the bone stick out and going to town...

But riddle me this: My wooden clubs didn't need to be added to my civs entity permissions. They still showed up. So what's going on in this case?
In these cases there are generally three types of permissions:
  • Item Permissions which allow civs to create the weapon the regular way (IE forging and carpentry {if training}). These are all the weapon, armour, tool, etc lines that appear in civs. They will have access to these weapons in every material appropriate (defined in weapons themselves and access to metals)
  • Building Permissions which allow civs to build certain buildings. Note however that buildings aren't needed for civ level access to the third type which will be explained there.
  • Reactions Permissions which allow a civ to access a reactions products civ-wide and fort-wide (though only if it has a valid building). You can have reactions for buildings you can't create normally and your civ/caravans will have these items. Indigo Fenix has also showed that you can use reactions for non-buildable buildings if you reclaim a place with that building (IE forts you made with other races)
If you had a Type 1 permission you could embark, buy, and possibly make the clubs even without Type 3 but you can't use the specified reaction to make it.

If none of this explains your riddle then I don't have le clue.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 23, 2014, 02:18:25 pm »

Oh yeah, it equips. Some of the villager woodcutters are using great axes and halberds.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 23, 2014, 02:25:28 pm »

If I was to make an alloy of iron and say, dragon bones, would I have to make a new template specifically for dragon bones? I tried making a reaction from looking at the one for bismuth bronze and using that, I somehow ended up making steel out of iron, coal, and a boar skull...  :o How do you make alloys, and can you do it with a specific product, like iron and giant grasshopper heart, for example? Or does it have to be defined as a metal?

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #867 on: August 23, 2014, 02:28:06 pm »

In these cases there are generally three types of permissions:
  • Item Permissions which allow civs to create the weapon the regular way (IE forging and carpentry {if training}). These are all the weapon, armour, tool, etc lines that appear in civs. They will have access to these weapons in every material appropriate (defined in weapons themselves and access to metals)
  • Building Permissions which allow civs to build certain buildings. Note however that buildings aren't needed for civ level access to the third type which will be explained there.
  • Reactions Permissions which allow a civ to access a reactions products civ-wide and fort-wide (though only if it has a valid building). You can have reactions for buildings you can't create normally and your civ/caravans will have these items. Indigo Fenix has also showed that you can use reactions for non-buildable buildings if you reclaim a place with that building (IE forts you made with other races)
If you had a Type 1 permission you could embark, buy, and possibly make the clubs even without Type 3 but you can't use the specified reaction to make it.

If none of this explains your riddle then I don't have le clue.

Nope, that explains it perfectly: My wood clubs depend on the carpentry skill.
Thanks for the help and explanation. 

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 23, 2014, 02:28:26 pm »

If I was to make an alloy of iron and say, dragon bones, would I have to make a new template specifically for dragon bones? I tried making a reaction from looking at the one for bismuth bronze and using that, I somehow ended up making steel out of iron, coal, and a boar skull...  :o How do you make alloys, and can you do it with a specific product, like iron and giant grasshopper heart, for example? Or does it have to be defined as a metal?

Could you post the reaction?

You can define specific materials, such as grasshopper hearts. The reagents and the products can be anything you want them to be, so long as they exists in-game.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 23, 2014, 02:31:53 pm »

I'll post it once I get back on my laptop. I was trying to make a metal called Burning Steel, from one iron ingot, one coal, and ten dragon bones.
On another note, can I give a metal a syndrome? Like a type of metal that, when it pierces skin, it injects a syndrome? I'm willing to jump through two or three hoops to do it.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 247