Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316665 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1815 on: January 01, 2015, 01:13:14 am »

Q: Is it possible to mod a grass to behave like a plantable crop or harvestable shrub? Or the other way around?

I'm just wondering if the [GRASS] tag would interfere with planting or harvesting or if it other tags might prevent animals from grazing on it.

(BTW: I find it weird how many grass Crops like Longland Grass are not treated like grass that can be grazed. Even weirder is how some "grass"es like Cloudberry are not a type of grass at all. Cloudberry is actually a type of Raspberry; that is, a berry-producing bush.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:22:08 am by Thundercraft »

Godsnose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 01, 2015, 07:13:14 am »

Do giants eat more then dwarfs?

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 01, 2015, 08:31:36 am »

You tried to apply a tissue-layer appearance modifier before applying any tissues.

You can keep things mostly as they are, just at the very end select the male caste again and apply the antler colors.

Hey now, stop making sense!  =)

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: January 01, 2015, 11:12:02 am »

You tried to apply a tissue-layer appearance modifier before applying any tissues.

You can keep things mostly as they are, just at the very end select the male caste again and apply the antler colors.

Walp, I kept trying and still no luck (apologies for repeat posts.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I went to town rebuilding/organizing the whole thing and it works just as it should except no mention of antlers in description (still has them in wounds and still uses them in combat)

I spent time reading body_default.txt; I tried SET_BP_GROUP; I tried BY_CATEGORY:HORN, ... HORN:HORN, HORN:BONE, RHORN:HORN (pulling name from the body_default), etc.  As far as I can tell it's after tissue definition...

I DO see the following in the error log when I use JUST BY_CATEGORY:HORN, though:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:16:03 am by jeturcotte »

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: January 01, 2015, 01:37:18 pm »

I can say that if I add 2HEAD_ANTLER to the original definition, and go BY_CATEGORY:HORN:HORN, the description shows up... but now females have them, too... I tried moving
to just after [BODY:2HEAD_ANTLER] for [MALE], but it still told me there was no thickness, gores still 'passed right through' on use (despite males having them) and, of course, no descriptor. 

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: January 01, 2015, 01:57:48 pm »

Do giants eat more then dwarfs?

No. Everything eats the same.

I can say that if I add 2HEAD_ANTLER to the original definition, and go BY_CATEGORY:HORN:HORN, the description shows up... but now females have them, too... I tried moving
to just after [BODY:2HEAD_ANTLER] for [MALE], but it still told me there was no thickness, gores still 'passed right through' on use (despite males having them) and, of course, no descriptor. 

Body detail plans go after you add a body token. When you added antlers, you did not add a detail plan to add tissues to the antlers.

I can't quite elaborate at the moment, but I can explain in more detail later, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

E: Moving those tissue and material templates underneath the male caste is not completely necessary. Tissues and materials are creature wide. You will want the horn templates within the male caste though, to make sure they don't end up on the females as well.

As I mentioned, body detail plans need to go under body tokens. New body parts added later in the creature raws will not be a part of body detail plans already defined, so you will have to add in a new plan to make sure new parts are covered.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:48:38 pm by BlackFlyme »

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 01, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »

Body detail plans go after you add a body token. When you added antlers, you did not add a detail plan to add tissues to the antlers.

Sorry, I thought i'd said so, but yeah I tried it to the best of my limited understanding, circa:

But the result was the same... I almost feel like simply using BODY: to add 2HEAD_ANTLER isn't quite doing the whole job, somehow, despite their being mentioned in the wounds/health screen and used for (albeit, always passing through) attacks. 

UPDATE:

If I re-interate [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] just after introducing the antlers, they do show up, and gore attacks start doing damage.  I can see doing both concise and yet dealing with major differences between the genders is going to be tricksy.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: January 01, 2015, 03:10:45 pm »

If I re-interate [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] just after introducing the antlers, they do show up, and gore attacks start doing damage.  I can see doing both concise and yet dealing with major differences between the genders is going to be tricksy.
Especially as underneath their (non-antler) bones there are likely more layers of skin, fat, muscle, and bone as applying DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS a second time will do that. It ends up targeting all the body-parts besides the left out ones (antlers) it can a second time causing duplicate layers.

You can fiddle with the TISSUE_LAYER token to understand why it duplicates if you wish.
Personal Example
Wiki Page
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: January 01, 2015, 04:16:55 pm »

Here is what eventually worked:

Ended up having to dive in and out of castes a couple times to avoid having the entire body plan duplicated for each gender, but it seems okay.  Critiques valued.  Thanks all for the responses; prolly should have been in its own thread. =)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: January 01, 2015, 11:02:57 pm »

Nobody knows?  ???

Well, I tried adding the [GRASS], GRASS_TILES, and GRASS_COLORS tags to Longland Grass, Papyrus Sedge, and Pig Tails in vanilla 40.19. And I started a new world. The only errors I see in the error log are the usual "camp order missing parent -- army will camp forever". At least there's no other errors.

After generating several new worlds and trying several different embarks in Fortress Mode, I could not find any Longland Grass, Papyrus, or even Pig Tails.

Actually, on my first attempt I hadn't changed the Pig Tails and I did find some products made from Pig Tails. But, after I added those tags to Pig Tails, I never saw any or even any Pig Tail products available.

Based on that, it seems like I broke them.

Any thoughts? Maybe I could get by with just the [GRASS] tag, without GRASS_TILES or GRASS_COLORS? But I'd rather not have to edit and retest, generating lots of new worlds and embarks, trying to graze certain crops or crop certain grasses... if I can help it. Surely, someone is more knowledgeable on this that me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:04:54 pm by Thundercraft »

Godsnose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: January 02, 2015, 12:50:42 am »

Noob here. How can I make it so when a dwarf does a crafting job at a special building that upgrades the dwarf?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 02, 2015, 12:51:32 am »

"Upgrades"?

Godsnose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: January 02, 2015, 12:57:00 am »

"Upgrades"?

Changes caste to a more powerful version of a dwarf

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 02, 2015, 12:59:34 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome#Special_Effects

Obviously you'll have to make said upgraded dwarf

You want either:

1. Boiling stone with a SYN_INHALED syndrome
2. DFHack modtools/reaction-trigger with a direct modtools/transform-unit call

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 02, 2015, 01:01:43 am »

Hey, two problems here. Both for the same creature/s.

1: I made a creature have a stinging tail. I also made it have a syndrome. I made the sting attack inject the syndrome. Buuuut, nope. Instead, it squirts grease into the opponent. The bites inject venom like normal. Why does the sting just fill them with grease? Here's the raw section.

And onto number 2: I made two specific castes have horns. I inserted the horn template into the same [SELECT_CASTE] that has the [BODY:2HEAD_HORN]. This didn't work, they then had horns made of flesh. So I did another [SELECT_CASTE] thing under those, inserted the horn template into those. Still didn't work. Then I cut and pasted it above them. Still not working. So I inserted it into the standard area, no [SELECT_CASTE]'s used. This somehow removed claws from everyone. Fixed the horns though. Would anyone be so kind as to either: A) tell me what I did wrong and how to get both horns on two castes while leaving everyone with claws or B) do it for me? Here's the raws. (I did some adjustments to attacks to make them dependent on hands for claw attacks, so they're pretty useless for clawing right now)
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 247