Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316720 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2505 on: May 01, 2015, 05:59:33 pm »

1. Through weird liquid tissue spatter crap, yes.
2. No.
3. Reaction? No. Interaction? Yes, spit is pretty much exactly that.

Snergler

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is the same as ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: May 01, 2015, 08:15:25 pm »

I created a plant growth using the BUD template, then gave the bud the plant thread template, I then created a custom reaction at the farmers workshop to process the growth to thread, but the loom does not recognize the thread as usable plant thread. My question is, do plant thread have to  come from  a "structural" part of the plant in order to be woven to cloth? 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:24:17 pm by Snergler »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 02, 2015, 02:37:27 am »

1. Is there any good tutorial to edit creature raws without breaking them ?
If you're concerned about not breaking the raws, just backup them. Here are some modding guides, but they're not about that anyway. You can check the wiki's one though, if you have no any creature modding experience.
WinMerge (or other source code comparing tool) is your friend. Lets you see what you have changed between, say last week's raws and this week's raws. Can make a new copy of the raws folder every week or every day, for example.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winmerge/?source=navbar
I think the main source of creature raws breaking is adding and removing of bodyparts & tissues. skills, sizes, occurrence frequency and occurrence biomes are pretty easy to edit.
Old body parts modding guide to get you started: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Modding_guide#Modding_body_parts
And newer BP guide: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Modding_guide#Modding_body_parts

Does layer size for metal type armors have huge impact ?
I dunno how huge the impact is, but [LAYERSIZE:40] iron plate is basically undestructable.
DF's ROBE is(was?) mighty good armor against blunt weapons, since system spread the blunt impact around by layersize?
Robe: [UBSTEP:MAX]  [LBSTEP:MAX]  [LAYER:OVER]  [COVERAGE:100]  [LAYER_SIZE:20]
Easy to test in arena: 15 mace+naked dorfs versus 15 mace+silk robe dorfs.
I thought [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD] was supposed to prevent the robe from being a "hard shell" and spread the blunt damage all over it. However it looks like it makes it weaker against edged attacks, which is weird. I guess Toady did not think it through entirely.

I should test how STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_ALL affects the armor regarding blunt attacks.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 02, 2015, 03:32:58 am »

WOVEN_THREAD makes the piece of armor elastic and weak IF it's made from cloth. Other materials are stiff and retain their normal strength.
CHAIN_ALL makes the piece of armor elastic, no matter what it's made of.
CHAIN_METAL makes the piece of armor elastic IF it's made from metal (cloth also? not sure). Other materials are still stiff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 02, 2015, 03:55:31 am »

Elastic meaning that it strains 50% at yield, or has all its STRAIN_AT_YIELD values be 50000. STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD also reduces SHEAR_YIELD to at max 20000 and SHEAR_FRACTURE to at max 30000, basically making all edged attacks pass through (except in weird modding edge cases).

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2510 on: May 02, 2015, 04:46:10 am »

Quick question. How would I mod a hostile civilization to send an attack squad sooner, and to siege sooner? Or is it 40.24 weirdness that hostile visits are pretty scarce?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: May 02, 2015, 05:12:02 am »

Sieges happen less in 0.40 due to them not being scripted events anymore.

Snergler

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is the same as ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: May 02, 2015, 03:42:22 pm »

I created a plant growth using the BUD template, then gave the bud the plant thread template, I then created a custom reaction at the farmers workshop to process the growth to thread, but the loom does not recognize the thread as usable plant thread. My question is, do plant thread have to  come from  a "structural" part of the plant in order to be woven to cloth?

AFAIK it is not possible to weave plant thread derived from growth items,  DFWiki seems to confirm this also.
Though it may be possible to use these thread items in suturing, like thread spun from creature hair, I have not tested it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: May 02, 2015, 04:36:36 pm »

Sieges happen less in 0.40 due to them not being scripted events anymore.
There may be something buggy additionally, as it's not rare for a goblin sites near your embark to have thousands of goblins and trolls, but still there are very rare sieges (and sometime they just don't even happen as if you turned invaders off ), and when sieges actually happen, the "armies of darkness" are often ridiculously small (i have not seen in all my fortress a goblin siege with more than 10 foolish gobs by example).

It seems only undead sieges (you need to have a tower in your embark listing) happen relatively as they should, though they often just stand there and wait while their necromancer has already moved out of the map.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: May 02, 2015, 10:54:09 pm »

This is something I've been trying to do a long time but never had any success because there are SO MANY THINGS I need to change and each time I figure out I've screwed up it's generally a few years into the fort which is a huge amount of lost time for a failed attempt.

What do I have to change in 40.xx in the raws, worldgen information, and civ data to make it so that my fortress will be capped at 20-30 dwarves but still receive full-scale invasions, megabeasts, fortress management positions, etc?  Basically, I want the game to behave as if I have 80+ dwarves when I have 20. Last time I tried this was 34.11 and now that everything is different I'm completely lost again.

I just want Dwarf Fortress Lite™ where I don't have to manage 100 dwarves and micromanage their arbitrary jobs that keep them from idling too much but still get the full experience.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2515 on: May 03, 2015, 12:33:47 am »

What do I have to change in 40.xx in the raws, worldgen information, and civ data to make it so that my fortress will be capped at 20-30 dwarves but still receive full-scale invasions, megabeasts, fortress management positions, etc?
Megabeasts: see ATTACK_TRIGGER on wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token
Semimegabeasts: [SEMIMEGABEAST][DIFFICULTY:5] [ATTACK_TRIGGER:30:0:50000]  lower the difficulty, and the pop part of ATTACK_TRIGGER.

init/d_init.txt: try [POPULATION_CAP:27] [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:29]  [BABY_CHILD_CAP:1:1]

Management: uhhh... umm... err.. I'd try all dwarf entity positions having
   [SITE]
   [NUMBER:1] (except more than 1 militia captains)
   [APPOINTED_BY:EXPEDITION_LEADER]
but you probably can't get King/Queen. There might be some hardcoded wonkiness. Just rename Expedition Leader position and make them demand better quarters.

Invasions: enemy entities (and friendly civs, for trade)
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1] set to your liking
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2] set to your liking
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:1]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:2] set to your liking
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:2] set to your liking

Master modders, did I cover everything?

Question: how to best edit the worldgen so that only 5 to 20% of world is aquifered? I want to make a "dry medium region" preset.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:50:59 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: May 03, 2015, 03:15:55 pm »

I've been trying to play around with body parts, specifically, adding ones.
So far, I've managed to get the part to appear, but the error log keeps giving "No tissue thickness" out. I've added

[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:THING:SKIN:1]
to [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS]

[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES...:THING]
to dwarves

[BODY:THING]
   [BP:THING:thing:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][EMBEDDED][SMALL]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:2]
to body_default

[ADD_MATERIAL:THING:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
to [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]

What am I missing? I want my lump of flesh corporeal dammit!

If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: May 03, 2015, 03:28:08 pm »

I've been trying to play around with body parts, specifically, adding ones.
So far, I've managed to get the part to appear, but the error log keeps giving "No tissue thickness" out. I've added

[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:THING:SKIN:1]
to [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS]

[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES...:THING]
to dwarves

[BP:THING:thing:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][EMBEDDED][SMALL]
to body_default

[ADD_MATERIAL:THING:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
to [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]

What am I missing? I want my lump of flesh corporeal dammit!
This [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:THING:SKIN:1] is calling for this [CATEGORY:THING] to be somewhere after this [BODY:THING] and before another [BODY:].

Code: (resulting fix) [Select]
[BP:THING:thing:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:THING]

Also [ADD_MATERIAL:THING:SKIN_TEMPLATE] is pointless to have in the creature as [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:THING:SKIN:1] is calling for a tissue with the ID of SKIN, not THING.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:30:18 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: May 04, 2015, 04:11:40 am »

I'm trying to make a human-only world , removing the elf/dwarf/goblin/kobolds entities and making some adjustement to the human one so they get noble position similarly to dwarven ones (in order to make it playable similarly to dwarves in fortress mode too) , i changed the biome start/support to ALL_MAIN

The generation works well enough, as the various human towns/hamlets are built all over the world as desired after 100 years of worldgen :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But after looking for how those civilisations are doing, i noticed ... no war at all, that's a big problem to get siege in fortress mode then or to have things happening in adventure too.

Looking at the reason, i think it could be the ethics, due to all those civs coming from the same entity definition, it's obvious all those civs will have the same ethics and will then not go at war over such difference.

As unfortunately i do not find anything to make those civs going at war despite sharing the same ethics (looks like even having war sphere does not make them going at war more) , i guess the only way would be to make a lot more entities entries with each having different ethics.

But is there another way ? I mean i would like to have 2 civs going at war for reasons like territory expension, or just wanting more power etc... , as despite 2 civs could share the same ethics, it does not mean they don't want something like domination or more territory.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:13:18 am by Robsoie »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: May 04, 2015, 04:42:28 am »

-snip-
Small maps and a bunch of civs crowding each other can cause the settlements to skirmish with each other over land but I don't think the entire civ will. I also have problems making it happen reliably.

You could also replace the CREATURE:GOBLIN line in the EVIL entity with CREATURE:HUMAN so the nicer humans will war with the baby thieving cannibal ones.

To prompt war over ethics having 1 civ consider something unthinkable and another acceptable/personal matter can make it happen.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 247