Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 315513 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2790 on: June 13, 2015, 12:22:15 am »

The TILE_DIM seems a little off.

If I'm looking at it correctly, it should be 18:18, not 24:14.

It appears to work fine in the Arena, at least. I haven't tried in Fort or Adventure modes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:30 am »

Weird, thought it was set to 18x18.

Well now that I know it works, I'll continue working.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:36:14 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: June 15, 2015, 03:12:02 am »

Alright, so I wanted to migrate my horrors into my elf war mod, but I've started running into trouble - specifically getting the entity running, and I figure it'd be helpful to include the raws for all of them, to see if you guys can find anything wrong with them.

Spoiler: horror and entity raws (click to show/hide)

Usul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: June 15, 2015, 04:23:58 am »

You have some errors in the creatures.
When you define colors variations, you select the tissue. So this line:
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
should be
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE]

If a creature has an underground biome, you must add a [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:x:y] tag, the numbers being the cavern layers they will appear at.(for example, with 1:3 they will spawn in every cavern), they won't spawn if you don't.

Also you made a typo in the HORRORENTITY creature. Replace JADE1 with JADE:1

An entity needs access to farming crops to spawn. Use [OUTDOOR_FARMING] and/or [INDOOR_FARMING] (or add NO_EAT to the creature).
BIOME_SUPPORT takes an argument, which affects the speed at which they will spread in the biome. The numbers are relatives to each others if you have specify more than one biome. Note that civilizations need [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:whatever] to settle in a given biome.

I tested  your raws with the above changes and I was able to have an horrors civ spawned.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: June 15, 2015, 04:40:15 am »

You have some errors in the creatures.
When you define colors variations, you select the tissue. So this line:
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
should be
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE]

If a creature has an underground biome, you must add a [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:x:y] tag, the numbers being the cavern layers they will appear at.(for example, with 1:3 they will spawn in every cavern), they won't spawn if you don't.

Also you made a typo in the HORRORENTITY creature. Replace JADE1 with JADE:1

An entity needs access to farming crops to spawn. Use [OUTDOOR_FARMING] and/or [INDOOR_FARMING] (or add NO_EAT to the creature).
BIOME_SUPPORT takes an argument, which affects the speed at which they will spread in the biome. The numbers are relatives to each others if you have specify more than one biome. Note that civilizations need [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:whatever] to settle in a given biome.

I tested  your raws with the above changes and I was able to have an horrors civ spawned.

Awesome. Saw the coloration error in the game's error log. I'll adjust the rest accordingly.

Usul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: June 15, 2015, 04:43:49 am »

Oh and I forgot: you need a language for your entity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: June 15, 2015, 04:47:49 am »

Oh and I forgot: you need a language for your entity.

Already covered. Just didn't feel it necessary to include it. And since you got'em working, let me know if they can maul dwarves sufficiently well.

Usul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: June 15, 2015, 05:12:30 am »

Well, I tried in the Arena and I think you should add some tags like NOPAIN, NONAUSEA and NOEXERT because right now they are easily submerged even by unskilled dwarves. Of course, it depends of what "sufficiently well" means.
They seem to kill unarmoured novice/adequate dwarves pretty easily in one-to-one combat, but competent (skill of 3) armoured dwarves make short work of them.
One thing you can do to make them better against a large number of opponents is to change [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:x:y] to lower values. It will give them more turns to act.
And if you really want to boost them, take a look at the [PHYS_ATT_RANGE] tags. You can give them godlike attributes this way.

Almost forgot, [TRAPAVOID] is your friend if you don't like cage trap based defenses.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:21:15 am by Usul »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: June 15, 2015, 05:41:27 am »

I'd considered [NOPAIN] but decided against it. The things are gorilla-sized (or they should be,) fearless, rage, and meant to make short work of poorly trained or very small groups - that is, a credible threat to an early embark party, regardless of savagery if they have the poor fortune of being anywhere considered a forest, swamp, or jungle or adjacent to a cave. And hopefully still irritating enough to make the surface dangerous for poorly equipped workers, hunters, and the like. [TRAPAVOID] and [NOEXERT] are good ideas (I'll give the latter a chance, though it might be a bit much,) and I may try beefing up thier strength.

Granted the mod as a whole is built more around not using plate armored soldiers (nothing's stopping anyone from doing so, but it greatly diminishes the challenge against the rest of the mod's enemies,) and the entity is pretty much supposed to rely on weight of numbers and superior size.

I mean I'm open to suggestions, but I don't want them able to take on a 10 man squad of above-average dwarves skill-wise.  Not without a substantial advantage in numbers anyway.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: June 15, 2015, 08:43:40 am »

So how would I go about placing four obsidian walls around a bronze colossus with dfhack? Five years with only a thief showing up, suddenly the only thing I can't kill with iron pops it's head up.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: June 15, 2015, 09:49:38 am »

You can kill it with iron, not easy but you can.

Put the cursor to the top left of the colossus, do liquids o 3 3 2 and hit enter, it will be wedged into the center block, you could then put the cursor under it and do liquids of point and it'll make a floor and he'll be stuck in there.

If you only make it 1 tile high they will climb out lickety-split.

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: June 15, 2015, 11:45:58 pm »

Has anyone here successfully tried to mod in a baby-snatching, item-thief civilization as playable race? I made my "underdark" entity both to avoid friendly relations and caravans from "non-underdark" civs. Also I modded their ethics to be evil, even more evil than goblins. Their ethics are simple: Kill and torture anyone, steal if you can and slavery is essential.

I just embarked with the both races of this entity, respectively, to test them. But one of them (duergar) now seem too much fixated on stealing things. In fact, every time one of them needs to haul or dump something or restock on ammo (hunters) they just grab one of the items in every hand and wander off aimlessly, not responding to any further jobs. I´ve seen haulers hauling two wheelbarrows around over the entire embark and hunters that could not put on their quiver, because they "haul" them in the hand.  :o

After half an hour I decided to retire the fortress and check legends mode. The page of the fort is spammed with "in year 1054, item xyz was stolen from the fort by xyz the duergar...  >:(

I have to find out, what Token is responsible for that behaviour.

GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.

Lightningy

• Bay Watcher
  • MOM GET THE CAMERA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: June 16, 2015, 07:33:50 am »

is there a way to force df to ignore world gen rejections (sometimes it does it automaticly after 2000 or so fails)
'What is life?', you ask. Fundamentally life is the apotheosis of pointlessness. We live to multiple. But what for? The Endless cycle of carnage pulls hardest on the furthest victim. An inescapable fate; one no one wants but we all desire. The more immoral we become the more ideal we are. A perverse oxymoron. We who live unencumbered but are the most burdened. We fight but at the end it is all for naught, as in life there are no winners; only the undistinguished.

GENERATION 29:
Copy and add 1.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2803 on: June 16, 2015, 10:24:21 am »

After half an hour I decided to retire the fortress and check legends mode. The page of the fort is spammed with "in year 1054, item xyz was stolen from the fort by xyz the duergar...  >:(
I have to find out, what Token is responsible for that behaviour.
Entity token ITEM_THIEF or creature token CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM. Probably the entity one.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token

is there a way to force df to ignore world gen rejections (sometimes it does it automaticly after 2000 or so fails)
Not as far as I know. Rainfall and elevations are tricky beasts.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:26:32 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: June 16, 2015, 01:09:19 pm »

Question about attributes. Do attributes scale linearly? That is to say, if we assume a human with strength 1000 can lift 100 pounds. Does a human with strength 2000 lift 200 pounds?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, from the few places I've seen attributes in equations, but I figured I would double check.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 247