Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 315504 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3075 on: August 04, 2015, 07:23:20 am »

I believe this short video will accurately represent my anger at being unable to apparently see little things like that.

Thank you for the help. Even has the right amount of time as I scan and see the problem.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: August 04, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »

because you can't make a mod making use of it and it isn't in the raws

Boo. :/ I want to mod ALL THE THINGS.
The silver is responsible for this How?

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: August 04, 2015, 04:20:10 pm »

I get the basic gist of modding, but I really don't know how to mod in gummy bears, like how to mod the skin to be made of gummy material, so that my adventurer can eat it. And if you want to ask why gummy bears... Because gummy bears dammit :D

Basically, I really don't know how all the ligaments and bones and such fit in the creature record sheet.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: August 04, 2015, 04:34:21 pm »

Try starting with a Sponge Man, but made from a material that is edible raw.  Then see if your adventurer can eat the corpse.  If not, you'll need to figure out an edible corpse item such as the fruit of a plant with no natural biomes.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: August 04, 2015, 06:32:36 pm »

Try starting with a Sponge Man, but made from a material that is edible raw.  Then see if your adventurer can eat the corpse.  If not, you'll need to figure out an edible corpse item such as the fruit of a plant with no natural biomes.

Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for the info :D I will see to this, hopefully I'll be able to have megabeast gummy bears by the end of the day :D

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: August 04, 2015, 07:42:42 pm »

In looking at modifying items to reduce clutter, could one make an item that takes up multiple body slots? Like [underwear] that acts as Loincloth & Socks, or [peasant outfit] that acts as Leggings, Tunic, Socks and Shoes? Just getting back into modding and haven't done items before, so thanks~

Since the coverage of an item can be modified, thoughts on removing half of the clothing / armor items and just replacing them with items that offer full coverage and are considered both, e.g. [insulated shoe] or [sock and boot]?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: August 04, 2015, 07:55:45 pm »

With the way the system is set up and items are categorized, it is not possible to make an article of clothing that acts as multiple types.

Upper body pieces of clothing are defined by beginning with the [ITEM_ARMOR:ID] tag, while lower body items are [ITEM_PANTS:ID], feet are [ITEM_SHOES:ID], and so on.

The bare minimum that a creature needs to wear to avoid negative thoughts is something on its upper body, something on its lower body, and something for each [STANCE]-type body part it has. Creatures do not care about the coverage that a piece of clothing has. Otherwise the only thing that people would make their non-military wear would just be simple robes.

Muffinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: August 04, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »

I believe this short video will accurately represent my anger at being unable to apparently see little things like that.

Thank you for the help. Even has the right amount of time as I scan and see the problem.

Oh you arent the only one, in trying to create my first creature mod I messed up by:
  • Forgetting [OBJECT:CREATURE]
  • Forgetting the file name needs to start with creature_thennamegoeshere.txt, instead of the other way around.
  • It's b_detail_plan, not body_detail_plan
  • Most important, that my creatures weren't showing up at all because I didn't put them in the raws folder.
And it took a separate edit every time to figure out all this...

Muffinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: August 04, 2015, 08:34:05 pm »

I get the basic gist of modding, but I really don't know how to mod in gummy bears, like how to mod the skin to be made of gummy material, so that my adventurer can eat it. And if you want to ask why gummy bears... Because gummy bears dammit :D

Basically, I really don't know how all the ligaments and bones and such fit in the creature record sheet.

What I'd do, would be to look at the modding guide on the wiki, where they break down how creature raws are assembled, they look at the bronze colosssus. Since they replace every tissue and material and all that with bronze, just do the same, with "gummy" and make some gummy material, just take bear raws and use the same tricks used to make the bronze colossus bronze!

As for the gummy material, I'd recommend just using physical characteristics of Gelatin, which is the gelling agent primarily used in gummies. In fact, gelatin blocks are used to simulate human flesh for ballistics testing! You might have seen this on Mythbusters. So its a stretch, but you could default to using human flesh material properties if you cannot find more accurate numbers.

I'm still a noob though... not sure if this helps.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:40 pm »

What I'd do, would be to look at the modding guide on the wiki, where they break down how creature raws are assembled, they look at the bronze colosssus. Since they replace every tissue and material and all that with bronze, just do the same, with "gummy" and make some gummy material, just take bear raws and use the same tricks used to make the bronze colossus bronze!

As for the gummy material, I'd recommend just using physical characteristics of Gelatin, which is the gelling agent primarily used in gummies. In fact, gelatin blocks are used to simulate human flesh for ballistics testing! You might have seen this on Mythbusters. So its a stretch, but you could default to using human flesh material properties if you cannot find more accurate numbers.

I'm still a noob though... not sure if this helps.

As am I, I only really know how to edit attributes, and the colors of hair, skin and eyes. And any kind of help is good, thanks for the info :D

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: August 04, 2015, 09:30:26 pm »

With the way the system is set up and items are categorized, it is not possible to make an article of clothing that acts as multiple types.

Upper body pieces of clothing are defined by beginning with the [ITEM_ARMOR:ID] tag, while lower body items are [ITEM_PANTS:ID], feet are [ITEM_SHOES:ID], and so on.

The bare minimum that a creature needs to wear to avoid negative thoughts is something on its upper body, something on its lower body, and something for each [STANCE]-type body part it has. Creatures do not care about the coverage that a piece of clothing has. Otherwise the only thing that people would make their non-military wear would just be simple robes.

Sorry, I think I failed to adequately express myself.

I was thinking that, instead of there being Socks, Sandals, Shoes, Low Boots and High Boots, that, say, the first three are removed, and Low / High Boots are renamed to Low / High Boot and Sock, respectively, to remove a lot of the item types from cluttering the world. (Since my initial idea of having an item count as multiple equip spaces isn't workable~)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: August 04, 2015, 09:35:04 pm »

Ah, decluttering. My bad then for misunderstanding. There are a few mods that streamline the game by doing that. And others that add a lot more variety to what items are available.

Totally something that can be done. Just be sure to go into the entity files as well to make sure that the various entity item permissions are consistent with the items that exist.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: August 05, 2015, 01:42:24 pm »

Is there a way to make a specific creature, or a specific tissue/material, take extra damage from a certain weapon?  Modding the creature or the weapon or using DFHack are all on the table.

In particular, I'm working on a new mod with a stone megabeast, and I'd like picks to be extra effective (or... less ineffective).  If that works, I'll probably back-port it to The Earth Strikes Back as well.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

HereticUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: August 05, 2015, 03:49:30 pm »

I've just tried my first foray into modding Dwarf Fortress and I was pretty pleased with the result for my first time. I added a new ranged weapon and ammo type, both of which can be found in the game and equipped at the embark screen. However, in Fortress mode I can only craft the arrows. The bow shows up in the crafting list but when I add it to the job queue, nothing happens. No crafting at all. But when I remove it from the queue, the job list resumes as normal. What am I doing wrong? Is it because I set it as a training weapon (so that it can only be made of wood) and then set the material cost to 6?

EDIT: I managed to fix this. Turns out that the game doesn't like ranged weapons tagged as [TRAINING]. I removed the tag and it works perfectly now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:43:54 pm by HereticUK »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3089 on: August 06, 2015, 02:55:10 am »

Is there a way to ensure that worldgen civs have access to materials (and therefore items made from them) sourced from reactions? I want my worldgen elves to have access to my modded infused wood, to make them less pathetic.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 247