Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND! (Adventure Mode)  (Read 108617 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 10:31:00 pm »

I was quite impressed with the conversation system. From the looks of all the rumors you can spread, it seems as if one could carefully plan some sort of uprising. As far as the new stealth system, it seems make one even more invisible than the old system. I was travelling to a necromancer tower, sneaked up on the necromancer, threw a sharpened rock, and then the following happened:

She then proceeded to run away and hide in the trees, whilst I stood right under her and tore her to bits.

And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 10:31:10 pm »

I've tried "asking about trade partners" twice so far, first time crashed the adventurer I had just started and I lost all progress. Second time I saved before hand, then tried it. Crashed again. May be there's an issue with my procedurally generated civ or the mountain hall I'm at or whatever.

Anyone else getting this issue?

Yeah, I mentioned the same issue earlier (-:

Just claimed an elf site for my very own, then told the same elf I'd told in the first place that I was claiming it again. She informed me that the dwarf (my name) had just claimed the site already. I asked her where to find me, and she told me to talk to another, more well-traveled, elf I haven't met yet.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 10:35:13 pm »

Guess what's among my natural abilities as an elf?

Spit.

Guess what I can't figure out how to do?

Pick the fruits in the shrubs -- either the real-world ones or the rat weed. I can pick their leaves, but when I try to eat them my adventurer only licks them.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 10:41:56 pm »

Pro tip: while you can't climb over fortifications, you can climb up the outside and then jump in through the fortification with a jump move. You can also just jump through ground level fortifications. Excuse me, I am going to go play as a ninja...

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 10:45:11 pm »

How exactly do you climb? A bunch of bandits are in the trees, and I can't seem to reach them.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 10:45:38 pm »

From the looks of all the rumors you can spread, it seems as if one could carefully plan some sort of uprising.

You don't know the half of it! Ask a dude about their rulers, and you will then be presented with things about what they think of them, where they are located, how strong they are, and even recruit them just for the uprising and not a normal follower. I turned a bunch of elves against their ruler because every single one I talked to hated their king.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 10:46:49 pm »

I recruited a dwarf from my lords basement to join me in an insurrection, murdered the lord, and announced that my new group Crownblood the Playful Wraiths now owned the tower to my dwarf buddy. He says he doesn't care one way or the other. In light of his casual attitude towards regicide I've made him my hearthperson.

I've been waiting a very long time to say this: I'm off to take over the world. 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 10:56:15 pm »

How exactly do you climb? A bunch of bandits are in the trees, and I can't seem to reach them.
Go up to a trunk and [h]old it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:50 pm »

I've just been wandering around the mountain hall I started in, excitedly having totally mundane conversations with random dwarves because everything seems to be so much more detailed now. I imagine at some point the novelty will wear off and I'll start murdering people.

Other thoughts:

• The background paragraph when you create an adventurer is really neat. I'm a newly-minted Marksdwarf of Fortress Mirrorarmored, not just some random schmuck dwarf in a human village. Awesome.
  • The ambient conversations that go on when you walk through a dining room (or other crowded areas, I'm guessing) are cool, and several people wondered with concern why someone was toting a crossbow through the meeting hall.
  • I feel totally vindicated in designing my pretty-but-inefficient spiral staircases, because this appears to be the primary way fortresses bridge very far apart z-levels.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 11:05:26 pm »

Also, I talked to a "night creature" -- a "shadow woman wrestler" who claimed to be a soldier on an important mission and didn't care about me one way or the other. ...Is that... new? Normal? She was green, capital ~N and flashing if I recall correct. Definitely not something I've encountered before.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 11:06:00 pm »

My empire appears to be having some trouble consolidating power, chiefly that everyone hates me and if I try to I sleep in my new tower they spit on me until I wake up.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 11:09:19 pm »

I said hi to the Baron's wife and this happened:

Maybe calling her by her first name was a bit too casual?
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 11:16:26 pm »

I tried a few adventurers, all lost due to crashing in one way or another, and have decided that I will stay away from this for now. I'm just gonna wait for some bugs to be ironed out, and for Phoebus to be updated, as I can't tell what anything is atm.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2014, 11:18:10 pm »

Anyone visit a demon site yet? I'm having some difficultly finding one on the map...

Also, some random child spit on me when i said hello. Good times. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 11:29:32 pm »

Anyone found good loot in dwarf sites yet? Dwarf sized metal armor or anything like what human towns have?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52