Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 441365 times)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1410 on: March 14, 2015, 04:33:18 am »

i haven't done any above-ground farming, but are all the tiles 'subterranean' for the underground plot and 'above ground' for the above ground plot? i think if a surface tile is removed and then rebuilt it's no longer subterranean.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 14, 2015, 05:03:04 am »

i haven't done any above-ground farming, but are all the tiles 'subterranean' for the underground plot and 'above ground' for the above ground plot? i think if a surface tile is removed and then rebuilt it's no longer subterranean.

Yes, they're 100% subterranean.  I had her build a 2nd farm plot right next to her original underground farm plot and that one is being used just fine.  What on earth is wrong with that first plot?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 14, 2015, 06:41:27 am »

and all the the floor tiles are either soil/sand/clay or muddied?

actually i guess you can't even build plots if it's not soil
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:04:50 am by KingKaol »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1413 on: March 14, 2015, 08:35:48 am »

Do you have it planting for all seasons? You might only have set it up for whichever season it was when you started.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Exodus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 14, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »

I've got a question involving the RAWS and creating our own creatures and whatnot.

Is it possible to setup a new creature to only be naturally domestic for one civilization type?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 14, 2015, 06:01:54 pm »

Are named weapons and shields genuine artifacts? The quality modifier disappears from them when they're named. Is the real quality masked, or is it truly artifact quality?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: March 14, 2015, 06:13:40 pm »

When you view a named item individually, the crafting quality will be described normally. It's only the item name that omits it.

AFAIK, named gear performs at its actual crafting quality, being named just makes it harder to get a dwarf to let go of "Kneecutter the *bronze battle axe*" and pick up a steel masterwork and also makes it harder to move these items by hauling.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: March 14, 2015, 08:06:46 pm »

I've got a question involving the RAWS and creating our own creatures and whatnot.

Is it possible to setup a new creature to only be naturally domestic for one civilization type?

You might have better luck asking under the modding subforum:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110027.1260

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140015.2265

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: March 14, 2015, 09:43:05 pm »

No. You assign animals in groups, rather than being able to assign specific ones.

For example, you can allow cave animals, but cannot specify a giant cave spider.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: March 15, 2015, 10:19:20 am »

Yes, they're 100% subterranean.  I had her build a 2nd farm plot right next to her original underground farm plot and that one is being used just fine.  What on earth is wrong with that first plot?
I'd start with assigning seed mini-stockpiles right next to the respective plots and checking that enough dorfs have planting enabled and they have enough of time from other jobs - if they are busy hauling stone, they are not farming. Give them bedrooms and a meeting zone somewhere close, if necesary.
Then, are seeds good (unrotten, etc)?
If there are no problems with that, maybe making another small farm a dozen tiles away will either help or clear the problem. Maybe a border of biomes? No idea why this would matter for a farm, but who knows.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 15, 2015, 07:36:39 pm »

How many animals can one trainer successfully handle? If not a hard limit, a rule of thumb? I've seen a few fail because of time constraints, other valuable jobs required of them. My best is a Master and doesn't seem to have any problems so far, her only other tasks are animal hauling, burial and trade good hauling, but she's bonded to 6 and is training 3 more. I'm a little concerned about giving her more dangerous creatures because there's no one good enough to pass them on to if she can't succeed.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: March 16, 2015, 03:20:47 am »

How many animals can one trainer successfully handle? If not a hard limit, a rule of thumb? I've seen a few fail because of time constraints, other valuable jobs required of them. My best is a Master and doesn't seem to have any problems so far, her only other tasks are animal hauling, burial and trade good hauling, but she's bonded to 6 and is training 3 more. I'm a little concerned about giving her more dangerous creatures because there's no one good enough to pass them on to if she can't succeed.
I think that is quite a lot of dependant on layout of your fort (distance between training pastures and food storage and so on). The ceiling may be hit when you burrow your trainer to training area with all assigned animals when she has both bedroom and food storage and you do not assign any more jobs to her. I guess having like 1015 animals assigned per trainer should be doable then.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: March 16, 2015, 11:28:26 am »

I want a small cloth and a small thread stockpile next to my hospital without bins (so I can see if I need to make more). Those two stockpiles are set to take from the another two cloth stockpiles from the crafting center where my loom and clothier are. But somehow my dwarfs are not hauling the thread and cloth in the hospital stockpiles.

Does the source stockpile use bins? Dwarves prioritize filling bins, regardless of links. If Stockpile A (with bins) is set to give to stockpile B (without bins), then all the cloth and thread will go into the bins, and only after they're full will loose items end up in stockpile B.

Is this possible? Or is the hospital autostocking fixed enough to trust to it?
I haven't had any problems with it in the recent versions.

Gelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 17, 2015, 01:06:50 pm »

I have a quick question. Do forbidden items (stone for example) add to FPS? Also does the rotting algorithm still apply to the forbidden corpses and body parts?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 17, 2015, 02:26:39 pm »

I have a quick question. Do forbidden items (stone for example) add to FPS? Also does the rotting algorithm still apply to the forbidden corpses and body parts?

I don't think they do, see this post linked to under the 'maximizing fps' wiki article:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92241.msg3276117#msg3276117

I have a couple questions:

Did putting cabinets/chests in my dwarf's tombs generate a bunch of unnecessary hauling jobs? Would they have just put their items in their rooms otherwise, or is there a limit to how many items they can fit in each container?
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 268