Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49

Author Topic: StNPO - 2 - A new challenger approaches!  (Read 107352 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

*grabs popcorn*
I'm betting 50 dorfbucks that half of them won't make it past the first hour. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Heh, why's everyone betting against me?

I'll start as soon as my computer lets me unzip the whole thing...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not betting against you, I'm betting... with you.  Or something.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's weird I just did a reclaim on Ifeno's map, all the zombies are gone, there's just 6 ghosts and about 60 corpses, there were a few hundred at the end of my turn, might not actually be that hard...

E: There also appears to be 2 elves that were barricaded in the caverns by freezing ice for about 9 months

E2: The madness starts when you un-pause

E3: Run Forest, run! (7th Granite with no user input)

E4: Turn's out Pan is still alive she was lying in ambush as a berserk husk of who she once was and killed the last dwarf on the 15th Granite, good luck to Poolstockades next overseer is all I can say.

E5: Heh, that must have meant the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:18:14 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile

That's weird I just did a reclaim on Ifeno's map, all the zombies are gone, there's just 6 ghosts and about 60 corpses, there were a few hundred at the end of my turn, might not actually be that hard...

E: There also appears to be 2 elves that were barricaded in the caverns by freezing ice for about 9 months

E2: The madness starts when you un-pause

E3: Run Forest, run! (7th Granite with no user input)

E4: Turn's out Pan is still alive she was lying in ambush as a berserk husk of who she once was and killed the last dwarf on the 15th Granite, good luck to Poolstockades next overseer is all I can say.

E5: Heh, that must have meant the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

E5 is being sigged.  RIGHT NOW!  I lol'ed REALLY hard at this post. XD
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just about to rejoice, looking over the embark. There were no zombies in sight, and only a few ghosts (including GreatWyrmPyrite; I wonder where my other ghost went). Then I saw the corpses...Stocks say there's around 50 plus around 100 body parts. Well, carp.
I have a few questions, of course.
1. Did anyone use DFhack? There are some suspiciously square blocks of obsidian around, and if it's fine to do that I might use it to reclaim bits of the fortress. (By sealing it off, bit by bit, so I can reclaim it one bit at a time.)
2. Who minds if I abandon the old fortress for now?
3. Are there any unpleasant surprises for me, aside from the flooding thing?
4. How many cavern layers are there, one?
5. Who minds if I don't let migrants in for a while?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the journal of GreatWyrmSilver “Boatslance,” middle child of the Mining Brothers of The Earthen Room, reclaim team for Agsalkikrost.
You probably haven't heard of me or my brothers, but trust me, we're the best mining team this side of Koganusan! My older brother, Lastclasps, is a pansy optimist who can't handle stress; my younger brother, Oildwelings, is a tough guy who thinks he can muscle his way through anything; and I'm a bookworm who spends too much time reading and writing. No wonder we wound up here; we're too skilled to waste and too eccentric to use. So now I'm freezing my rear off despite wearing trousers, a robe, a cloak, and so forth. I hope to get underground soon.
While my brothers are still fumbling for their picks, I've already got mine and am busy mining out the top of the staircase that will let us escape this place. Meanwhile, the four dwarves chosen to be the milita are standing around, hauling the pack animals off to pastures in hopes that they'll buy us enough time to get underground before we die. I can hear the wails of four ghosts and one elf. Interestingly, one of the ghosts has a cat leather cloak and a bronze ax, and two of the others are clothed. How and why this is doesn't interest me, although one of the dwarven ghosts does. I instantly feel a kinship with him.
Soon the dead begin to rise--a drake, far to the southwest, then a small kobold hand in the mines, then a troglodyte skull to the west. The land has detected life, and we are not welcome.

-----

Just a quick intro, not a lot being said. All of the noted events occur before midnight of Granite 1.
Sig

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just about to rejoice, looking over the embark. There were no zombies in sight, and only a few ghosts (including GreatWyrmPyrite; I wonder where my other ghost went). Then I saw the corpses...Stocks say there's around 50 plus around 100 body parts. Well, carp.
I have a few questions, of course.
1. Did anyone use DFhack? There are some suspiciously square blocks of obsidian around, and if it's fine to do that I might use it to reclaim bits of the fortress. (By sealing it off, bit by bit, so I can reclaim it one bit at a time.)

1.  No, DFHack is to be used in utmost emergencies only!  Ie. if we deem it un-reclaimable barring DF hack, then we'll allow it.
2.  What ever you must do.  I'd love to see the gate expanded into a fortress but first we need to survive before we can build it.
3.  No.  I didn't have the time to build a trap, and I figured it was in our best interest if you could reclaim without a trap.
4.  1 or 2...not sure...
5.  See 2.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A ghostly child has been spotted, having risen up from the ground. No sign of mortal clothing on it.
Lastclasps is digging down, since we've got a decent little room to lounge in once we've moved some vital stuff in.
I feel like there is an ambush of some kind waiting in the caverns [Read: I got an “Ambush!” message, which lead me to the caverns. Godspeed, goblins]. This happens a couple times.
I pause to look around at the landscape, strewn with logs, arrows, piles of stone blocks, some ash (for whatever reason), and the occasional corpse or part thereof. By now, the ranks of the undead have swelled with the addition of another kobold hand just to the east, a dwarf skeleton with a severed torso to the northwest, and what sounds like a llama skeleton in the caverns, fighting the elf. Soon, the sounds of fighting stop. [The elf died to a bite in the head, without more than a feeble punch to the body lower body.]
On the second, we strike garnierite near the edge of the staircase. Good, if we ever need nickel.
Soon, our first encounter with the undead begins. Specifically, Dastot the speardwarf (given the name, it might have been better if he used a sword), Morul the hammerdwarf, and Onefi the swordsdwarf fought the one kobold hand. Kikrost the hammerdwarf was, for whatever reason, hauling a yak somewhere. Dastot scratched off a finger, and Onefi gets all sad about being attacked and the lack of things to go attack, and we're done. Good--there's more zombies than ever. There's the drake, who's attacking a large rat trying to abscond with some croc tripe; the llama skeleton; the trog skull; the other kobold hand; a couple kinds of goat skeletons; a wombat woman skeleton; two torsoless dwarf skeletons; a giant mosquito corpse that recently flew in; a giant chinchilla skeleton (!), and the elf.
The fortress is sealed, and the stocks carried inside counted. Eight barrels of beer and two of rum; a barrel each of mole dog meat, cave lobster, and plump helmets; bags of seeds for sweet pods and plump helmets; three logs, one from the wagon; a bag; a rope; some rough morions; schist and mudstone blocks; a single, superior-quality ash bolt; a cat leather left glove; two picks, a bismuth bronze sword, a copper spear, a copper battleaxe; and five dwarves. Two were locked out, Kikrost and myself.
Giant chinchillas wander in. A hamster woman's skeleton rises. A dwarf's corpse, with a single glove and a clear head wound, jumps out at me. Soon I have broken bones, and pass out. I feel dull thumps on my head as the thing punches and kicks me, and then a slap and I feel no more.

------

It's only been a few days. My dwarf has died already, and another waits his grisly fate, but we've got two miners and a few other dwarves sealed in a tiny hole with minimal supplies and not much hope of getting more, so...I'd say this is off to a good start, relatively speaking.

Sadly, technological issues with my DF computer's power cord make my turn delayed for a while. I will update again as soon as it's fixed.
Sig

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now I have an image of a zombie horde armed with mittens stuck in my head. 

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Now I have an image of a zombie horde armed with mittens stuck in my head.
Rotten fist in a wool mitten! AAAARGHHH!!!
Waiting for my turn impatiently. GreatWyrm, hold on, don't make me reclaim it once again!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The funny thing is the first goblin siege will probably be slaughtered before they can reach any traps or a live dwarf. 'course then my punishment changes from fighting goblins single-handedly to fighting mutilated undead goblins single-handedly.

1. I used it to quickly build walls around corpses 'cos at one point all the dwarfs were trapped in the tunnel with dude's coming to life faster than they could be killed, I also used it to check the map for metals and finding none except for tetrahedrite so I converted two layers to iron ore and left two mystery veins of raw adamantine for a future overseer to find
2. I'd do the same
3. Yes
4. Three cavern layers but I connected them all
5. I reckon they should be let in =(
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. I used it to quickly build walls around corpses 'cos at one point all the dwarfs were trapped in the tunnel with dude's coming to life faster than they could be killed, I also used it to check the map for metals and finding none except for tetrahedrite so I converted two layers to iron ore and left two mystery veins of raw adamantine for a future overseer to find

um....why did you do all this?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For the same reason I had a mug of hot blackcurrant this morning rather than tea and also the same reason a psychopath kills.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For the same reason I had a mug of hot blackcurrant this morning rather than tea and also the same reason a psychopath kills.

ummmm ok then... but let's keep the df hacking to absolute emergencies only from now on...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49