Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 441395 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 15, 2015, 09:47:56 pm »

So, I recently obtained a very old Mac computer, {G4 with a PowerPC chip, it's freakin' ancient} and logically assumed that DF, having started existing around that time anyway, would be able to run on it. However, when I try to launch it the usual way {Open the executable labeled "df" with the Terminal}, it says it "Can't run a binary file" and fails. Any thoughts?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 15, 2015, 09:59:08 pm »

Did you download the windows version, and not the mac version by accident?

That's about all I can suggest. Don't know much about macs.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 16, 2015, 12:33:24 am »

The way the Mac version apparently works is that there's the Windows .exe file, and then another file with no .something tag labeled "df", which somehow allows OSX to run the executable.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1578 on: May 16, 2015, 08:31:17 am »

I believe your problem is that DF2014 requires an Intel chip on Mac. I think.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 16, 2015, 10:29:48 am »

x86, but yeah, IIRC PowerPC support was dropped a long time ago (like, maybe 40d# long time ago, if it ever existed at all)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 16, 2015, 02:34:19 pm »

So, I recently obtained a very old Mac computer, {G4 with a PowerPC chip, it's freakin' ancient} and logically assumed that DF, having started existing around that time anyway, would be able to run on it. However, when I try to launch it the usual way {Open the executable labeled "df" with the Terminal}, it says it "Can't run a binary file" and fails. Any thoughts?
x86, but yeah, IIRC PowerPC support was dropped a long time ago (like, maybe 40d# long time ago, if it ever existed at all)
In short, if you are trying to use old computer you should use old version of DF from that times and only if that works, try the newer ones, I guess.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 16, 2015, 04:09:44 pm »

Alright, that's what I figured I'd have to try, thanks for the help.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 16, 2015, 07:59:37 pm »

It's probably gonna be somewhat unpleasant to play on anyway :/ My laptop is newer than that, though still quite old, and fps death comes so quickly.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 17, 2015, 02:43:32 pm »

It does, yes, though I usually play adventure mode, actually. Still can't explore goblin pits or big cities, but hey.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 18, 2015, 12:05:11 am »

Two related questions:

What is the minimum height of a refuse pit so that miasma does not come out of the top?

What is the minimum height of a magma refuse pit so that mist does not splash out of the top?

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 19, 2015, 12:27:17 am »

What is the minimum height of a refuse pit so that miasma does not come out of the top?
I'm not sure, I searched for the answer to this for about 15 minutes and couldn't come up with anything better than one user suggesting that another make their refuse pit "7 deep from the deepest point that you´re planning on using it from, in case of necromancer or more likely, haunted/terrifying embarks." Although this doesn't specifically reference Miasma, I'm sure 7 would be fine and this will also help with necromancers. If you do end up digging this pit out and testing it, please post your results! We can update the Miasma wiki page with the information :)

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/1armsy/whats_a_chute_and_how_do_i_make_one/

Edit: In my current fortress, a dwarf who fell down a mineshaft and started to rot is now producing miasma that has risen up seven z-levels. I'm not sure how much further it would go because that's as deep as the shaft goes, but it appears that seven is not sufficient.

What is the minimum height of a magma refuse pit so that mist does not splash out of the top?
According to the wiki: "Mass dumping a whole siege worth of corpses, body parts and assorted trash may generate magma mist clouds 3 z-levels high and wide. A single large corpse (e.g. a troll) is enough to cause a small magma mist cloud, potentially fatal if the magma's surface is just 1 z-level below the dumping point."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:02:54 pm by jturnera »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 19, 2015, 04:24:18 am »

Miasma moves across z-levels now? Used to be 1-deep was enough - things have changed every way I turn...

But diagonal still stops it, as does outdoors, so Indoors I try to make mine at least 2-deep, with a diagonal access on all levels. Not so much to avoid miasma, but to allow my butcher pod to toss waste down the dump-chute where it lands next to my Bone Crafters and practice-crossbow ammo shops.

-----------------------------------------------

Separate Q:

On embark I took a Dwarf with axe+dodge experience, and made him my Woodcutter, so he carries his trusty ≡ steel axe ≡ wherever he goes. Had an unexpected guest and he was nearby, so activated him as an Axedwarf and sent him in - and was rather annoyed to see him wrestling the target into submission, the axe laying patiently on the ground behind him.

Once the victim was bored to death, I de-activated him, and, his hands now not busy strangling interlopers, he picked up his axe and went about his business.

What went wrong? Did I bump the axe out of his hands during the creation of the squad somehow? Is this un/avoidable?

-------------------

Another quick Q:

Used to be a drinking water cistern needed to be built entirely of constructed material and/or smoothed stone sides, or the water would not be pleasing to dwarves - I checked the wiki (several diff pages - cistern, well, well guide, some others) and none mentioned this. Has this requirement been done away with, or...?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:38:45 am by Albedo »

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 19, 2015, 06:38:48 am »

Separate Q:

On embark I took a Dwarf with axe+dodge experience, and made him my Woodcutter, so he carries his trusty ≡ steel axe ≡ wherever he goes. Had an unexpected guest and he was nearby, so activated him as an Axedwarf and sent him in - and was rather annoyed to see him wrestling the target into submission, the axe laying patiently on the ground behind him.

Once the victim was bored to death, I de-activated him, and, his hands now not busy strangling interlopers, he picked up his axe and went about his business.

What went wrong? Did I bump the axe out of his hands during the creation of the squad somehow? Is this un/avoidable?

Woodcutters (and hunters and miners) have their own hidden uniform that conflicts with any assigned uniforms. This means that if you activate a woodcutter into the military they will drop their axe and go look for another one to use to kill things with. Or as in your case, they'll try to wrestle the hostile that's near them.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 19, 2015, 01:31:42 pm »

<sigh> - thanks. Well, one more strategy down in flames.

I should start my own thread just for all the changes since whatever version I last played and knew. It's almost harder to learn this one, so many outdated SOP's that interfere where a fresh start would simply double-check.

Any idea about the well-water? (I did check on that, just double-checking...)

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 19, 2015, 10:50:37 pm »

Edit: In my current fortress, a dwarf who fell down a mineshaft and started to rot is now producing miasma that has risen up seven z-levels. I'm not sure how much further it would go because that's as deep as the shaft goes, but it appears that seven is not sufficient.

Thanks for your data point. >7 z-levels, how annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 268