Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438837 times)

Miharu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 29, 2014, 04:26:35 pm »

Hey guys, I'm not new nor am I a masterwork Urist, I'm just your typical Joe that likes to check this game out and play both Adventure and DF modes on occasion (spending ~3 hrs each time getting used to the ropes again).
So, I recently heard .40 got released so I got myself a tileset, the new version and off I went. I started Adventure mode, really liking the sleek new "design", if you can call it that, plus the new combat system and such. Noticing the subtle changes isn't my big schtick, sadly.
Anyway, I've gone and done several "quests" so far to kill bandits or "vermin" or whatever. Now here's the thing. Every time I go to do that, I don't get a retaliation. For example, two minutes ago I went to attack a Kobold encampment quite far away. I travelled all that way and was preparing for the "Prepare to meet your doom!" message from their leader and a hail of arrows.
Instead I find eight wrestlers and one bowman plus another recruit that ran at my sight all standing there, clueless. I literally ran up to them, chopped off their heads individually and the rest didn't even respond, they stood there quietly with a flashing blue exclamation mark on them (not sure if this is from the tileset or not). On another occasion I even tried stealing their loot beforehand or finding a "leader" figure to talk to to maybe make them hostile because hitting practice dummies is not fun AT ALL. I even tried to find an option to declare my undying hatred for Kobolds but couldn't found one, I even admitted -- in front of my two companions, that I murdered my former companion in cold blood for his iron scimitar.
Anyone know what's causing this? Is it a bug? Is it my negligence or ignorance? Please help me because it's kind of ruining the experience. Like I said, they don't do ANYTHING. They only fight back after I hit them first, some don't even do that for some reason, a few even run.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:30:50 pm by Miharu »

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 29, 2014, 04:33:10 pm »

Another question: how does one get a fish into an aquarium? I have built them and designated as aquarium (they turn blue), but my fisherdwarves just come up with 'raw char' or 'raw lamprey' and i have no ability to 'assign' them to an aquarium.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 29, 2014, 04:38:04 pm »

Aquariums are for vermin fish only, which are caught with the "capture live fish" command at the fishery IIRC. (It also requires an animal trap).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 29, 2014, 05:19:59 pm »

Well the brook just thawed so I reactivated the catch live fish task. My dwarf grabbed an artifact animal trap and then just left it in the brook to go drink :|

Edit: Awesome caught a lamprey!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:25:28 pm by KingKaol »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:02 pm »

Hey guys, I'm not new nor am I a masterwork Urist, I'm just your typical Joe that likes to check this game out and play both Adventure and DF modes on occasion (spending ~3 hrs each time getting used to the ropes again).
So, I recently heard .40 got released so I got myself a tileset, the new version and off I went. I started Adventure mode, really liking the sleek new "design", if you can call it that, plus the new combat system and such. Noticing the subtle changes isn't my big schtick, sadly.
Anyway, I've gone and done several "quests" so far to kill bandits or "vermin" or whatever. Now here's the thing. Every time I go to do that, I don't get a retaliation. For example, two minutes ago I went to attack a Kobold encampment quite far away. I travelled all that way and was preparing for the "Prepare to meet your doom!" message from their leader and a hail of arrows.
Instead I find eight wrestlers and one bowman plus another recruit that ran at my sight all standing there, clueless. I literally ran up to them, chopped off their heads individually and the rest didn't even respond, they stood there quietly with a flashing blue exclamation mark on them (not sure if this is from the tileset or not). On another occasion I even tried stealing their loot beforehand or finding a "leader" figure to talk to to maybe make them hostile because hitting practice dummies is not fun AT ALL. I even tried to find an option to declare my undying hatred for Kobolds but couldn't found one, I even admitted -- in front of my two companions, that I murdered my former companion in cold blood for his iron scimitar.
Anyone know what's causing this? Is it a bug? Is it my negligence or ignorance? Please help me because it's kind of ruining the experience. Like I said, they don't do ANYTHING. They only fight back after I hit them first, some don't even do that for some reason, a few even run.
Thanks in advance.
First off, hi! Welcome to the forums!

You're not doing anything wrong, aggression in general is pretty bugged right now. Creatures have all these new emotions and allegiances and somewhere down the line it all falls apart and they just stand there in apathy.
Toady is aware of it and will work on it, but it's not just a quick fix.

I agree that it makes Adventurer mode not very fun. You can practice in 0.34.11 for a bit until Toady gets around to squashing the bugs. Or you could play around with Fortress mode, that's working pretty well after the last bugfix release.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 29, 2014, 09:22:14 pm »

Well the brook just thawed so I reactivated the catch live fish task. My dwarf grabbed an artifact animal trap and then just left it in the brook to go drink :|

TIL Dwarf Fortress has aquariums.

I know what I'm doing when I make my next fort.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:00 pm »

You're not doing anything wrong, aggression in general is pretty bugged right now. Creatures have all these new emotions and allegiances and somewhere down the line it all falls apart and they just stand there in apathy.
Toady is aware of it and will work on it, but it's not just a quick fix.

I agree that it makes Adventurer mode not very fun. You can practice in 0.34.11 for a bit until Toady gets around to squashing the bugs. Or you could play around with Fortress mode, that's working pretty well after the last bugfix release.
IIRC a large part of the problem is that enemies aren't being proactive enough about turning around. Thus there are several instances where you can stab someone from behind and they won't give a whit about turning, preferring to take the "if I can't see it it's not there!" approach. :P
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 30, 2014, 11:41:50 am »

In the unit list, does "missing" mean "definitely, 100% certainly dead" or more like "I forgot where I put it"?

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:13 am »

In the unit list, does "missing" mean "definitely, 100% certainly dead" or more like "I forgot where I put it"?

It means "definitely, 100% dead", the body just hasn't been found yet. There was/is a bug where they still show as missing even though the body has been found. Not sure if it's already fixed.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 30, 2014, 01:26:04 pm »

Is there a way to get my military dwarves to stop going to eat/drink/sleep in the middle of a (m)ove or (k)ill order? Or at least to get them all to do it at the same time, preferably before I send them to battle?

I don't want half my recruits deciding it's a good time for a nap the second someone engages a steel-clad zombie.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2014, 05:13:31 pm »

Quick question I couldn't find answer to on wiki or on here: Why are some of the options for what crop to plant in my farm red? My farm was working fine, now, just a month or so after creating it, plump helmets and pigtails are both red and I can't plant them? I have plenty of seeds, the ground is muddy, and it did work for a time...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2014, 05:26:40 pm »

Is there a way to get my military dwarves to stop going to eat/drink/sleep in the middle of a (m)ove or (k)ill order? Or at least to get them all to do it at the same time, preferably before I send them to battle?
Eat and drink can be remedied by having them carry provisions, though at the cost of them not getting the good thoughts from the dining room. Sleeping is just something you are going to have to live with IIRC.

Quick question I couldn't find answer to on wiki or on here: Why are some of the options for what crop to plant in my farm red? My farm was working fine, now, just a month or so after creating it, plump helmets and pigtails are both red and I can't plant them? I have plenty of seeds, the ground is muddy, and it did work for a time...
Is it near the end of winter? Toady recently fixed plants recognizing when it's too late to plant them, but it might have caused some other bugs when he did so.

Edit: Yeah, a quick check shows that this is the re-emergence of an old 40d bug where the Winter/Wpring boundary isn't properly handled. I've submitted it to the bug tracker, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon, but until then you won't be able to plant and Winter/Spring plants once it gets to be too late in the Winter for them to be completely grown by the new year (which can have some heavy penalties in realistic plant growth time mods).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:19:36 pm by i2amroy »

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 30, 2014, 05:51:07 pm »

I'm not sure why, but one of my two aquariums keeps becoming 'dry' and losing fish. I noticed it happening before I started stocking it; periodically it would lose the teal coloring and a dwarf would bring a bucket to restore the water. Looking inside the aquarium there are several stacks of water[10] so it doesn't seem to be going dry. I have an identical aquarium in the same room and it is not having this problem.

Edit: I think it might have to do with my aquariums being located above ground and the water freezing during the winter. Just lost my lamprey but some mussels I put in there are doing fine.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:09:22 pm by KingKaol »

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2014, 05:53:00 pm »

Also, I have a military dwarf in traction that has been there for 2 years now. His finger is sutured but his fingernail is still 'smashed'. I'm considering removing the bench he is on in hopes of freeing him.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2014, 05:57:08 pm »

I'd suggest removing him from traction. It has to do with fingernails never really healing IIRC, something that can be fixed through a bit of modding if absolutely necessary.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 268