Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440028 times)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #435 on: August 15, 2014, 07:42:50 pm »

So since I started my new 40.08 fort I have been seeing lots of worms, bugs, slugs etc. that seem to be around a certain area. Possibly around one of the animals I embarked with? It looks the same as when you use the "look closely" action in adventure mode...
Is this a bug or a feature? If its a feature how do I disable it please? It's quite distracting seeing wiggly worms everywhere!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 15, 2014, 07:47:48 pm »

Some animals can 'root around', which dredges up insects. The animal may eat a few, but it will probably not get them all.

Search within the raw files of your save for creatures with the tag ROOT_AROUND and remove the tag.

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 15, 2014, 07:51:04 pm »

I think they can only root in soil. So if you keep them down in the stone layers, it shouldn't happen. At least I haven't noticed any worms in the dining room where I pastured my birds.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 16, 2014, 06:21:53 pm »

Ok my dwarves wont build any bridges, I have all materials, all my dwarves with architect and masonry, but NO one will build it.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 16, 2014, 06:25:40 pm »

Any screenshots? The material you are trying to use is stone, correct? Plenty of idlers?

Are all of the materials accessible? I've had issues before where the bridge would try and take a material that was on the inaccessible side of the gap.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 16, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »

Any screenshots? The material you are trying to use is stone, correct? Plenty of idlers?

Are all of the materials accessible? I've had issues before where the bridge would try and take a material that was on the inaccessible side of the gap.

I restarted, closed with task manager, about a month from where I was. Reloading worked. It is/was a 3x4 chalk block bridge across a 3x3x1 pit.
wall
r..++++.
r..++++.
r..++++.
wall

7 idlers
6 blocks on left 12 on right side
5 dwarves on left 2 on right
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:08:21 pm by locustgate »

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #441 on: August 19, 2014, 08:33:14 am »

Is there a way to check what a particular type of evil weather does? I have a cloud of profane vapour regularly drifting over my camp but it doesn't seem to do anything. Health screen doesn't show any symptoms either.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 19, 2014, 01:52:30 pm »

I either have a bug or my dwarf regrew his neck.

And when I looked at his wounds, everything is white and looking at the physical descriptions it doesn't mention the neck.

Is there a way to check what a particular type of evil weather does? I have a cloud of profane vapour regularly drifting over my camp but it doesn't seem to do anything. Health screen doesn't show any symptoms either.

Does it cause unhappy thoughts? To the best of my knowledge and the wiki there's no other ways than SCIENCE to find out......maybe it reanimates corpses...though usually they turn living beings into 'zombies'..

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2014, 09:04:45 pm »

I know that forgotten beast and titan syndromes can have a significant delay sometimes.  Can evil weather also have that?  It could just be that it hasn't kicked in yet, though it could just as likely be that it has extremely minor effects that wear off almost immediately.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:46 pm »

How can I find a tunnel to embark on?  And, if they're just hard to get, any suggestions for how to worldgen them?  I mostly use PerfectWorld.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 20, 2014, 01:25:21 am »

I'm wondering if I should make a bug report...
Heaps of barrels, heaps of plump helmets, no links, no forbids, yet the brew order is red.
Any suggestions?
-- Bloody hell I'm dumb, I turned off plump helmet brewing...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:52:40 pm by Edmus »

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 20, 2014, 02:14:35 am »

so what exactly do your dwarfs do when you retire your fort? and i don't mean abandon your fort. do they dig anything or build?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 20, 2014, 04:04:41 pm »

Playing my first reclaimed worldgen ruin. Is it normal for unconstructed rock blocks to leave behind bits of magma?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 20, 2014, 05:05:12 pm »

so what exactly do your dwarfs do when you retire your fort? and i don't mean abandon your fort. do they dig anything or build?

They don't dig or build. I don't know everything that the dwarves do in your absence, but it is possible for the retired site to get attacked by another civ, and it may be possible for the dwarves to emigrate elsewhere.

Playing my first reclaimed worldgen ruin. Is it normal for unconstructed rock blocks to leave behind bits of magma?

If the construction that was deconstructed was referred to as being made of 'rock', then yes.

acidica

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 20, 2014, 09:07:31 pm »

Some weird things seem to be going on with world events nearby.

When I chose an embark site, I remember selecting a site that had access to Dwarves, Humans, Elves, and Goblins - goblins were the only hostile ones. I played with invasions off, and without selecting a baron, for several years, and got caravans from the three friendlies as expected. I remember the year I selected my baron, I was surprised to see the Elven diplomat arrive - there was no talk of a quota, just the 'you have disrespected the trees in this region' and she left. Elven caravans stopped arriving at that point, there was no caravan that spring. While the human diplomat was talkative as hell that year (I did not need to know about several dozen invasions/kidnappings/foundings/abandonments/reclamations of human hamlets), my liaison had nothing to say but that 'the world is the same as ever' - never has in all these years, aside from mentioning one kidnapping and the promotion of a baron somewhere else in my civ.

A few years later, I finally decide to turn on invasions, and checking the civ screen shows, to my surprise, no Goblins and war with the Elves.

If the war with the Elves was unrelated to my actions, shouldn't the liaison have mentioned, 'oh by the way we're at war now?'
Was it somehow related to something I did? (missed a dialog choice when that diplomat arrived? had tree-cutting active on the surface in sight of the diplomat? do any of those things incite wars now, other than directly defying quotas / having diplomats/caravans die?) It seems awfully quick (one diplomat visit and they declare war?) and unannounced.
Was it already going on, and having invaders off just made them send caravans instead for some reason?
Is it possible that this is just a different Elven civ, and that a friendly one had its nearer sites conquered, leading to the sudden and unannounced war?
Is it normal for the goblins to just disappear like that? (I'm assuming that all their nearby sites got conquered, possibly by the excessively talkative humans)

(FTR I use the 40.08 starter pack, with Modest Accelerated Mash raws, which I've made a bunch of tweaks/changes to, mostly minor cheating. I can't think of anything that would affect the civs, though, aside from taking away Goblins' handwear/footwear to reduce clutter...)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 268