Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440135 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1365 on: March 04, 2015, 06:28:38 pm »

Another one picked up his greaves. The dwarves do have tattered socks and shoes, maybe when they wear out they will replace them.
When I was having such issues when I have tried to make them half clad in metal while keeping the clothes this has worked for me: prepare all items-add uniform-wait-find out they have not equipped it all because of clothes-change equip to replace style-wait for them to drop clothes and equip assigned uniform-change equip to over style-they will wear their clothes again, beside slots filled with armor pieces.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 04, 2015, 07:07:59 pm »

One is good.

That's strange, they all seemed to be hanging around with one highboot on. Only when I added the 2nd did they go grab another. Maybe it had to do with the extra clothes.

Another question: I just abought a "tame pond turtle" from an elven caravan, is there any way to cook it? The 'slaughter' option is not available in the animals menu :\

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pond_turtle

"Tame live pond turtles can sometimes be bought from merchants. These cannot be set up to slaughter, and if one gets killed by a cat or caught by a web or closing door, the only result will be pond turtle remains, not a raw pond turtle you can take to a fisherdwarf's workshop and process to get a shell. "
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:18:01 pm by KingKaol »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 04, 2015, 10:15:20 pm »

One is good.
That's strange, they all seemed to be hanging around with one highboot on. Only when I added the 2nd did they go grab another. Maybe it had to do with the extra clothes.
I got this problem too. If you don't add a redundant glove, they won't wear the second. I have one unit that only has leather gloves, leather boots and silk socks mandated, to be worn over civilian clothes. They're wearing a leather right glove, leather right boot, and a silk right sock. There's a huge surplus of all of those articles assigned them, and they're wearing pig tail and rope reed on the left side. At least their odd shoes are leather.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 05, 2015, 02:15:58 pm »

In my experience pairs work fine for everything but socks. Socks I always assign twice.

FirmlyLodgedGranite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 05, 2015, 07:23:45 pm »

Questions about spawning mechanics:

So I'm trying to capture trainable animals to level my Animal trainer. I plan to do this using cage traps and bridges in the caves to selectively trap stuff. What I want to know is if the game first decides animals will spawn, then chooses a side/outer tile, or if each side or outer tile has an independent chance to spawn animals. If the first is true walling off all but one side results in a simpler but equally efficient system, if the latter is true I should leave all the empty outer tiles open for the max spawn rate. I know the surface and separate cave levels have different mob caps.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 05, 2015, 11:12:20 pm »

In my experience pairs work fine for everything but socks. Socks I always assign twice.
In my experience, everyone without exception will wear one of any pair if a pair is indicated. The only exceptions I can see are the ones I assigned specific gear to. Even the recruits, wearing full wool uniforms, wear only one wool glove. With all the wool gloves circulating in civilian clothing, not one of them possessed a wool left glove.

It's broken. I suggest you recheck your military's gear.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 06, 2015, 02:30:59 am »

In my experience, everyone without exception will wear one of any pair if a pair is indicated. The only exceptions I can see are the ones I assigned specific gear to. Even the recruits, wearing full wool uniforms, wear only one wool glove. With all the wool gloves circulating in civilian clothing, not one of them possessed a wool left glove.

It's broken. I suggest you recheck your military's gear.

No, I did check. They have pairs of everything paired here.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 07, 2015, 03:29:29 am »

Does the quality of blocks used to build a room influence the room value?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1373 on: March 07, 2015, 04:29:09 am »

Blocks don't have value modifiers (I don't think), but the material does affect the room value. It's also quite possible that using blocks instead of boulders improves value.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 07, 2015, 08:37:11 am »

Blocks don't have value modifiers (I don't think), but the material does affect the room value. It's also quite possible that using blocks instead of boulders improves value.
Blocks don't have value modifiers _quality_ modifiers.
"Blocks are more valuable than rocks. Blocks have a base value of 5, compared to the raw material value of 3 for stone, wood or glass. Metal bars already have a base value of 5." (DF wiki).
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1375 on: March 07, 2015, 08:47:53 am »

I meant quality, whoops. It briefly crossed my mind that it could be confusing; too briefly, apparently.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 07, 2015, 05:07:03 pm »

Are minecarts that are moving during retiring of fort able to survive it, aka keep moving unhindered till some later visit of adventurer or a reclaim?
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 08, 2015, 08:20:15 am »

No, items get scattered and history won't run or remember hauling routes. The minecart could be sitting anywhere when you come back.

How do you determine an object's ownership? dfhack has a clean utility for it, but I don't see anything that simply shows which dwarf owns it.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 08, 2015, 07:51:53 pm »

How do you determine an object's ownership? dfhack has a clean utility for it, but I don't see anything that simply shows which dwarf owns it.

The item details will include a "Owner:<name>" line if the item is owned.

Additionally, DFHack's advanced stocks screen can show items that are owned (though you'd still need to view the item details to determine the owner).

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 09, 2015, 08:58:30 pm »

How do I check populations after world gen?
I want to make sure the world is "healthy" before I start to play, so I want to know how many goblins, dorfs, elves and humans does current map have.

Is it normal to play as a goblin in adventurer mode?
Last time I saw the only 2 options were goblin and human outsider. I don't recall I edited raws like that.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 268