Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440148 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1770 on: June 21, 2015, 06:07:34 pm »

Is there a decent way to boost FPS? Haven't touched a screw pump (although going to try and install a magma pump eventually), but now I'm chugging along at 20 fps 20 gps inside the main floor of my base, 20-25/20 underground in general, and 7/7 above ground. 117 dwarves might have something to do with it, but last night was fine, and I've only gotten maybe 1-2 waves since then.
Intel i5-4670K processor, so it's not like it's a stupidly old CPU
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:10:58 pm by nimbus25 »

Radradrobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: June 21, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »

Sounds like it's a mod you are using. That doesn't exist in normal DF. I believe I've heard a similar question before though. Masterwork, I believe.

If I remember correctly, it was a custom description for strong creatures, having rippling muscles covered in tattoos or something to that effect.

Ah, I was playing Masterwork.  Good guess with my poor description by the way.  Thank you for revealing the secret of the many tattooed creatures in my forts :) Now I know I can breed them without having to stamp the skulls on terribly weak war beasts, and sell them to the elves at the price one would pay for prized animal.  Silly elves!  Thank you again BlackFlyme!

chichom27

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: June 21, 2015, 08:08:48 pm »

Are dead shrubs a threat to my underground pastures? I dont know how to get rid of dead shrubs and I dont know if grazers will just eat shrubs or not. Thanks.

CometStrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: June 22, 2015, 04:36:06 am »

I know that sieges got much less frequent than in earlier versions, but is there a way to check if I will ever get a goblin siege? I´m nearing the end of my 3rd year and no goblin has shown up yet. Since that particular fort is located on the embark of the latest captain_duck video tutorials and he did get sieges, I´m quite sure that some possibility exists.

Is there a (non-DFhack) way to clean a dwarven bathtub of blood? I build one at the entrance to my hospital and for some time now there has been some blood in it. Is any dwarven bathtub useless once it is contaminated or is there a way to "reset" it? The only way I can think of is flooring it over, but then the usefulness of such a device would be very limited (or one would need a very long corridor to allow for new ones to be dug out each time the last one is contaminated.

Do raising bridges work as floodgates in z-direction (closed=no flow from above, open=flow from above)?

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: June 22, 2015, 04:58:35 am »

I heard that this version calculates how much far is the goblin city that wants to attack you, and this could cause them to not come if they are blocked by mountains

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 22, 2015, 05:30:15 am »

Is there a (non-DFhack) way to clean a dwarven bathtub of blood? I build one at the entrance to my hospital and for some time now there has been some blood in it. Is any dwarven bathtub useless once it is contaminated or is there a way to "reset" it? The only way I can think of is flooring it over, but then the usefulness of such a device would be very limited (or one would need a very long corridor to allow for new ones to be dug out each time the last one is contaminated.
Magma? Drain the tub and send in the hazmat cleaners? Any contaminated walls can't be cleaned without demolishing them (if even,) but I think those are harmless.

Do raising bridges work as floodgates in z-direction (closed=no flow from above, open=flow from above)?
Fairly certain they do.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 22, 2015, 01:47:59 pm »

Does power transfer through floor grates?
For example, if I was to build a pump stack, and put a floor grate over the channel underneath the dark green half, would power still travel through?
Code: [Select]
+++++
++.++
+++++

+++++
++H++
+++++

++x++
++X++
+++++
+ = floor, . = space, H = hatch, x = light green pump, X = dark green pump

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 22, 2015, 02:25:55 pm »

Are dead shrubs a threat to my underground pastures? I dont know how to get rid of dead shrubs and I dont know if grazers will just eat shrubs or not. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that dead shrubs and saplings never go away, and grazers only eat grass, so over time your effective pasture size will decrease. You can clear shrubs and saplings by building a dirt road on top of them. Plants will start growing on the road sooner rather than later.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: June 22, 2015, 11:40:59 pm »

Does power transfer through floor grates?
For example, if I was to build a pump stack, and put a floor grate over the channel underneath the dark green half, would power still travel through?
No, power only transfers through axles or other machine components. It can't skip tiles.

The requirement is that the impassible (dark green) tile cannot be built on a floor tile. A floor grate cannot be built in place of this floor because the pump already occupies the space.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

CometStrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: June 23, 2015, 04:16:36 am »

Magma? Drain the tub and send in the hazmat cleaners? Any contaminated walls can't be cleaned without demolishing them (if even,) but I think those are harmless.
Would more dangerous contaminants (like secretions) be washed away when draining the tub or does only a floor covering help in this case? Unfortunately, I would have to dig out a new spot to try this with draining (and find a not-so-nice FB).
What would happen, if I´d obsidianize the bathtub and dug it out anew?

btw, the goblins finally made it to the map, only to run into a Cyclops, who did have some fun with them :)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 23, 2015, 09:26:26 am »

Would more dangerous contaminants (like secretions) be washed away when draining the tub or does only a floor covering help in this case? Unfortunately, I would have to dig out a new spot to try this with draining (and find a not-so-nice FB).
What would happen, if I´d obsidianize the bathtub and dug it out anew?
The contaminants don't drain with the water. I'm not sure if flooring over actually gets rid of contaminants or not, likewise for obsidian.

As I said, magma might clear contaminants, given that it can destroy engravings. The alternative is to seal in a squad of armored (leather is fine) hazmat dwarves and not let them out until they've cleaned the area, and then themselves. They can clean themselves once the tub has been refilled or you can have a special room for this purpose. Cleaning jobs occur more reliably in DF2014 than in previous versions. I personally set a meeting zone over the area so they idle there, but burrows might work as well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:29:59 am by Bumber »

CometStrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 23, 2015, 02:16:42 pm »

I didn´t watch the dwarves doing it, but while a dusting/pile of mud is left in the bathtub, they did clean the blood, the water is clean again...

I've just opened a cavern with lots of bodies inside. Now I had to dig a little breach to allow my miner to come back out, however several dwarves went to retrieve some body parts before I could close the cavern again. I immediately gave the order to "ignore bodies", but they went on anyway. How can I make them stop instantaneously? Forbidding everything in the caverns (and undo after closing the breach)? Any other method?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:32:24 pm by CometStrike »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 23, 2015, 03:24:10 pm »

Strange mood of "fell" type is said to make mooded dwarf go out of workshop and kill the nearest dwarf. Is it possible for this attacked dwarf to stop / kill the mooded one? Does killing either way lead to loyalty cascade?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 23, 2015, 03:30:44 pm »

a) Unlinkely at least, b) no.
One wheel short of a wagon

Tygroux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 23, 2015, 04:08:08 pm »

So, I embarked on a mountainous wasteland, standard "not even grass grow above ground" environment.
So, I immediately breached the cavern, witch had a lot of plant life (so spores), and dug out some clay and sand area for tree farming and pasture.

Except it's been almost 3 months now, my beasts are starving and still no green spots in sight, anywhere.

I can always throw the yaks in the cavern as a temporary solution, even if they risk getting killed by random wildlife (still better than starving to death I guess).

But I don't understand why cave moss doesn't grow? I have white sand and silt loam, I have working plump helmet farm on them, so it's not my ground.
Did the spore contamination mechanic changed my any chance? Or is there additional prerequisite than simply breaching the caverns that I don't know about?
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 268