Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440200 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2670 on: March 29, 2016, 05:39:36 pm »

Why does my trading depot smoke and occasionally catch fire (causing all sorts of path cancellation spam) when merchants arrive? First two times, large fires. Last two times (replacing wooden depot with metal) only smoke for a few days.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: March 29, 2016, 08:58:48 pm »

I've seen a few people report the same thing, but I haven't seen it myself in modded games.  I'm not sure if anyone has ever narrowed down what causes it exactly.

Merchants must be bringing something that has a naturally high temperature that ignites things.

If it happens again it might be interesting to inspect the items brought to see if any are on !!fire!!.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: March 29, 2016, 09:01:17 pm »

More bagma?
Black lives matter.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: March 30, 2016, 01:31:12 pm »

Can an elephant man become a were-elephant, thereby becoming an elepant-man hybrid that turns into an elephant-man hybrid every full moon? Would they end up being half elephant and half man, or would they rather be half elephant and half elephant man, thereby becoming 75% elephant and 25% man? Could they raise their elephant-ness through this?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:35:28 pm by Urist McManiac »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: March 30, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »

Can an elephant man become a were-elephant, thereby becoming an elepant-man hybrid that turns into an elephant-man hybrid every full moon?

Quite likely. Now if only a dorf could become a were-dorf.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: March 30, 2016, 06:50:34 pm »

Will surface fires jump a one tile thick floor or road of any material? I want to protect against rampant trading post (and lately LYE) fires.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: March 30, 2016, 10:51:29 pm »

What dictates dwarf speed, how does armor effect it? Is does showed down proportional to weight carried, so what is the best protection vs speed?

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: March 31, 2016, 12:28:05 am »

Help!
Dwarves cancel Give Water and jobs for cleaning wounds on account of NO Water Source. We have a freezing biome that dries up surface water for three months of the year. After the last year where we lost five people to thirst, I started three cistern projects to protect water underground. As it is they still get freezing but by moving the wells around I CAN get full buckets. Even so, they don’t seem to be using the water and cancelling jobs. Why? Must I set them as water sources? I have plenty of buckets. Do they care that the water is ‘muddy’?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: March 31, 2016, 03:46:29 am »

Do they care that the water is ‘muddy’?
Unlikely, iirc. Dwarves will even drink vomit, they'll complain, but not actually not drink it.

Which does mean everyone going outside can temporarily relieve a drought, now that I think about it. Definitely something to conside  ???
One wheel short of a wagon

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: March 31, 2016, 09:34:55 am »

What dictates dwarf speed, how does armor effect it? Is does showed down proportional to weight carried, so what is the best protection vs speed?

Speed is dependent on the strength of the dwarf and how much they're carrying, so heavy armor does slow them down.  Higher armor user skill reduces the effect, but I don't know the details.

For best protection vs. speed you have to decide what compromises you want to make.  In my experience, leather armor is fairly useless, so I usually just go with a single layer of steel armor if possible.  That's a single mail shirt, not three like some guides suggest, since that does add a lot of weight for questionable benefit.  A single cloak or hood is probably a good investment too, since they don't weigh a huge amount and are kind of buggy in a way that makes them disproportionately effective.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: April 01, 2016, 07:32:40 am »

How long does it take for a tree farm to fully mature? I've read something around 5 years. I have a 2 z-level deep farm set up underground with all kinds of saplings growing there (Fugiwood, Tower Cap, Spore, etc...)

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 01, 2016, 12:41:01 pm »

Hello!
In my next fortress I want to build an archer tower which would serve as an entrance too. My strategy would be stationing archers on the top of the tower, so they can shoot the invaders while they enter in the fortress, inside they would face my melee squads.

My question: will I have any kind of problems with the archers, like jumping off the tower? As far as I know, there is a bug which makes them charge the enemy (The tower would be climber-proof, the only way for them to attack the enemies with melee would be jumping off, in the middle of the battle).

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 01, 2016, 12:53:51 pm »

Hello!
In my next fortress I want to build an archer tower which would serve as an entrance too. My strategy would be stationing archers on the top of the tower, so they can shoot the invaders while they enter in the fortress, inside they would face my melee squads.

My question: will I have any kind of problems with the archers, like jumping off the tower? As far as I know, there is a bug which makes them charge the enemy (The tower would be climber-proof, the only way for them to attack the enemies with melee would be jumping off, in the middle of the battle).

And that is why you'd want to give the tower a roof. It isn't just so your archers won't , it's also because enemies can and will climb if they have no alternative. If things go south and you decide to just hunker down and pelt them with arrows, they'll stop charging the main gate and start using the only way in available.

And of course if climbing enemies don't get you, the first decently tough flying enemy you face will reveal why a roof is a smart idea. ;_;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

_Rogue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 02, 2016, 09:45:53 am »

Hi! I am a new player to DF and this forum and I have a few questions regarding gameplay.

1. My militia dwarves are not equipping helms or some other forms of armor. I have assigned them the metal armor uniform (with some of my random adjustments) and also specifically told them to wear helms, and they are not. This also happens to other forms of armor, and I really feel like I am missing something.
2. There is vomit everywhere. I highly suspect this is from cave adaptation, but I was wondering if 2 years spent mainly underground would case it. (IDK how long it takes for a dwarf to adapt)
3. What are the most important items that I should try trading for? ATM I have been getting food, alcohol, weapons/armor, and some tools for the most part.

_Rogue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: April 02, 2016, 10:02:12 am »

Other stuff:
Some of my dwarves are milling about in a random location (strangely they are pretty close to each other) that is not designated as a meeting area. They are standing around, with "No job" and getting thirsty and hungry but not doing anything about it. Some of the dwarves in my military have reverted to there civilian roles and are among these random dwarves, but other militia members are not. None them are insane or anything like it.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 268