Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438885 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2775 on: May 12, 2016, 01:15:20 am »

What's the minimum you need to survive the night against Boogeymen as an adventurer? Walls, roof, doors? Floor? Is it possible to wall yourself in?

Either:
1. At least one companion traveling with you.
or
2. A roof of any sort over your head.

Seems even snoozing in a cave or lair will work, but that has a disadvantage in that you can't tell when dawn will arrive if you're deep enough in to sleep safely.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: May 12, 2016, 01:33:17 am »

So a wall, ramp and floor for a roof?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: May 12, 2016, 02:22:30 am »

Why a ramp? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: May 12, 2016, 02:53:45 am »

to build the roof

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: May 12, 2016, 07:45:45 am »

What can I do about my dorfs not doing enough work. There's lots that needs to be done, but everyone available are socializing, listening to stories, etc.
Unset your taverns, libraries, and temples as active, or un-assign them, etc.

But aren't there consequences to doing that? Wouldn't I cease to attract mercenaries, scholars, bards(well, i'd be completely okay with that.)
Actually, perhaps unsetting them would be a good idea. I'd probably only do the taverns--there aren't that many dwarves praying nor studying and I wouldn't want to get in the way of either of those activities anyways.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:39:18 am by indyofcomo »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: May 12, 2016, 09:03:37 am »

What can I do about my dorfs not doing enough work. There's lots that needs to be done, but everyone available are socializing, listening to stories, etc.
Unset your taverns, libraries, and temples as active, or un-assign them, etc.

But aren't their consequences to doing that? Wouldn't I cease to attract mercenaries, scholars, bards(well, i'd be completely okay with that.)
Actually, perhaps unsetting them would be a good idea. I'd probably only do the taverns--there aren't that many dwarves praying nor studying and I wouldn't want to get in the way of either of those activities anyways.

Consequences are that dwarves will just get pent up about it, on top of the lack of visitors as you describe.

If you set up these commodities earlier its not so much of a issue, and they'll be well inclined to build their next grand temple or mead hall above ground (with the added bonus of warding against sunlight sickness) as you wish it. Its like need driven parties of old (i sort of miss people holding parties, everyone seems to be a bit glum now besides drinking and dancing) just a distraction to break loose a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: May 12, 2016, 10:10:31 am »

to build the roof

You don't need a ramp to build the roof in adventure-mode construction, last I checked. ಠ_ಠ
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: May 12, 2016, 03:28:14 pm »

Hey, is there any sort of comprehensive (or even non-comprehensive) list of which food items can give seeds? I'm thinking of things like purple amaranth, which gives both "purple amaranth" and "purple amaranth leaves," lettuce ditto, or things like strawberries which give "strawberries" and "strawberry plants." I want to give more options for cooking for my poor little chefy dwarfs, but I also don't want to lose seeds when I still have a very limited number of gathered/grown plants.

I'm guessing things that give (item) and (item) leaves, the (item) itself is what drops the seeds, like with quarry bushes/rock nuts. But for strawberries/strawberry plants and capers and other items I'm even less sure. And the individual items I've checked in the wiki don't seem to say.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: May 12, 2016, 03:31:50 pm »

It's under "crops"

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Crop

Just remember that cooking doesn't yield seeds.  Milling and brewing both do yield seeds.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: May 12, 2016, 03:38:13 pm »

Thanks. Though I went through the file, and can't see where it says which parts of the plant drop seeds.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: May 12, 2016, 04:59:02 pm »

Thanks. Though I went through the file, and can't see where it says which parts of the plant drop seeds.

Yeah, it's not perfect.  For the most part any part that is brewable, millable or threshable drops seeds.  Also things that are edible raw will drop seeds when eaten.  So, like Oats aren't edible or brewable but can be milled for seeds.  Hemp and the like can be threshed.  Most beans are dead-end crops since they can only be cooked, though I've seen human traders with bean seeds.  I used to have elaborate schemes to grow edible crops, like melons, and keep them out of cooking piles but near dining halls.  It works well, it's just a hassle to set up and not especially worth the trouble to do it again.

Also, keep in mind that all of this is in the raws... guess that was a pun.  Still, if you really want a specific crop you can edit it to fit your needs.  I've considered making different beans threshable to produce seeds only, it's not unrealistic and at least you could perpetuate them that way.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: May 12, 2016, 06:43:40 pm »

What would you need to change to have bags and barrels recovered after they were used? Change the raw green glass reaction to make a bag too?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: May 12, 2016, 08:04:20 pm »

So, playing around with the new job manager, I can't seem to find the option for made of wood as a trait in the conditions. There's specific types of wood, but not wood in general? There is generic for other materials though, like metal and bone, so it seems weird that wood is left out. Am I missing some way to specify generic wood or is that just a thing that's missing?

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: May 14, 2016, 06:44:46 pm »

I've been away from the game for about a year. Downloaded the lazy newb pack and got to playing.

I can't make it through a single season without the game crashing. I'm on Windows 10 running therapist, soundsense, dfhack. Any tips to solve the problem?
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: May 14, 2016, 06:50:44 pm »

Are all the third party applications you have up to date with the current spec of the game? Since if you're playing off the latest model of the game which is only a few days old might not be 100% compatible.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 268