Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438915 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3045 on: November 04, 2016, 08:32:12 am »

How to catch a fire snake with animal trap? Meat just rot off, no snakes. Tried diffirent baits - same result. Do I need to pump magma off and set baited animal traps directly in the magma sea?

Baited traps or just have adjacent areas to the magma sea with burrowed animal trappers working there to catch automatically.

Adamantium will stop the lava snakes burning through the trap.

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: November 04, 2016, 12:29:14 pm »

How to catch a fire snake with animal trap? Meat just rot off, no snakes. Tried diffirent baits - same result. Do I need to pump magma off and set baited animal traps directly in the magma sea?

Baited traps or just have adjacent areas to the magma sea with burrowed animal trappers working there to catch automatically.

Channeling to magma sea and setting animal traps here seems to have no effect. Or it will work only with magma pools in cavern layer?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: November 04, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »

Channeling to magma sea and setting animal traps here seems to have no effect. Or it will work only with magma pools in cavern layer?

Snakes only really spawn on the magma sea layer, when you are in a area of fire snakes you'll see them flash.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: November 04, 2016, 04:01:20 pm »

Strength, what's the deal here?

I remember in the old days all I had to do was mod the speed and everything went bazoom but now a days strength plays a huge factor in hauling speed. I've tried editing the raws, I've watched the strength attribute in the rapist but see no change. How do you modify it? Preferably just a bit so those slowest move at average speed. Can you increase it etc?  Just what's the deal with strength how does it work?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: November 04, 2016, 08:58:16 pm »

You can increase it, like any other attribute. Military training - sparring in particular - seems like it'd be effective. Mining is slow. Untested, but estimating from dodge training you should have maxed or nearly maxed strength by the time they hit legendary in weapon skill.

I recall when undead were changed the old save undead remained at same strength. I guess same applies to your dwarves and raw-editing.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: November 05, 2016, 05:45:36 am »

follow up question then, does hauling stuff increase strength?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 05, 2016, 07:25:05 am »

follow up question then, does hauling stuff increase strength?

No. Strength and agility help with hauling speed. Hauling gives nothing and most of the attribute training commentary around is outdated, it really is almost exclusively military training that yields good attribute gains, orders of magnitude better than everything else. (I even train miners in the military instead of mining with them, let alone mine to train people for military.) Dodging is afair an exception among military skills that does not train strength, which should be no problem for a proper military training setup, but is relevant when you cheese up dodging alone by minecart. (The agility still helps.)

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: November 06, 2016, 02:23:09 am »

Is there a way to bring back goblin ambushes by editing raws?

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: November 06, 2016, 02:50:14 am »

Alerts and schedule. Whaat?

So I got my first 4 squads active on the active/training alert. 3 of the squads alternate between guarding burrow, training and resting. Works fine. Always got guards at the point and always training.

Now I wanted my next 3 squads to do the same on another burrow but this time I created a new alert and set them to that. Their schedule is looking similar as the other three squads. 1 month defend burrow ( at a new one ) 1 month training and one month resting.

The problem with this new alert is that they dont seem to follow their schedule. All three squads are just doing individual training. I guess I could try and set them to the other alert but I'd really like to get the hang of alerts which I thought I had but apparently not.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: November 06, 2016, 04:30:44 am »

You did make sure to set the schedule for those three specific squads under the new alert, right?

It sounds like you set their schedules up under active/training too and then put them on a different new alert - which has no orders by default, making them go to individual combat drills when idle .

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: November 06, 2016, 05:29:29 am »

Does anyone know what happens when a ridden minecart collides with another minecart? (Background: I would like to measure the weight of dwarves.)

If the collision causes the ridden cart to come to a stop, the dwarf will dismount.
No matter the internal order of operations, dwarf weight should be factored into the collision, since the bug that retains rider weight as part of minecart weight after the rider has dismounted appears to be still alive in .43.05 (only checked in the arena).

If the cart moves at less than a threshold speed (probably shotgun speed, i.e. no more than 55k), the rider will dismount safely. When the cart's moving too fast, the rider will be thrown out of the cart and gets pummelled once by their previous ride.

Tested in the arena, checked safety of slow collision in fort mode in .34.11.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: November 06, 2016, 06:51:04 am »

You did make sure to set the schedule for those three specific squads under the new alert, right?

It sounds like you set their schedules up under active/training too and then put them on a different new alert - which has no orders by default, making them go to individual combat drills when idle .

Probably. If I put them on an alert and remake the schedule will they follow it then or can you switch the schedule some other way?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: November 06, 2016, 07:47:25 am »

Haven't experimented with military schedules much, but I guess you should be able to both alter the schedule for their current alert as well as creating new alert, giving it desired schedule, and switching them over.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: November 07, 2016, 11:00:17 am »

Ive got a refuse stockpile and corpse stockpile outside that I wish to dump down my magma chute but I've marked them, tried removing the stockpiles etc but dwarfs wont dump the stuff. There are no burrow restrictions or anything like that which I can see interfering. For other tasks dwarfs happily run outside. I've tried dumping some other stuff, logs, excess furniture and dwarfs successfully.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: November 07, 2016, 11:32:05 am »

Ive got a refuse stockpile and corpse stockpile outside that I wish to dump down my magma chute but I've marked them, tried removing the stockpiles etc but dwarfs wont dump the stuff. There are no burrow restrictions or anything like that which I can see interfering. For other tasks dwarfs happily run outside. I've tried dumping some other stuff, logs, excess furniture and dwarfs successfully.

In the (O)rders screen and then via r accessing the 'refuse' part, you can set dwarves to collect rubbish (anything dumped or in the refuse category) from outside.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 268