Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438826 times)

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3060 on: November 07, 2016, 11:34:25 am »

It is possible to deliver a gelding blow with candy hammer/mace?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 07, 2016, 11:50:59 am »

If you crush the actual part yes (candy is lightweight and the worst blunt item) which is unlikely unless your opponent is made out of feathers or steam (because its going to hit the target very fast with a tap), but otherwise i think that's a slicing action only.

Because morningstars (oversized big spiky mace, with in the right hands enormous force power able to crush but otherwise less effective) are edged they could do the job, in theory im starting to think that while goblin weapons are actually much better now. My own tests show that a fully armored dwarf can be swat down with 1 strike to the head by a ogre with a silver maul (beastly damage, no rebounds but straight through a steel helmet & mask equaling destruction like a melon as it practically splits open, smash a entire leg like butter)

How effective really are goblin weapons (morningstars/mauls/giant axes) against armored dwarves? And does effectiveness with these weapons depend on the wielders strength (aka giving trolls and ogres, the big guys the weapons?)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:00:17 pm by FantasticDorf »

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: November 07, 2016, 12:05:50 pm »

If you crush the actual part yes (candy is lightweight and the worst blunt item) which is unlikely unless your opponent is made out of feathers or steam (because its going to hit the target very fast with a tap), but otherwise i think that's a slicing action only.

Initial thought was to find a guaranteed way to geld enemies without risking killing them in process (I thought about adamantine hammer-loaded weapon traps). Too bad if this is not possible.

Certainly not slicing only: there are diffirent battle message for slashing, bashing and biting gelding strikes ("It is a gelding strike"/"It is a gelding blow"/"The geldables have been torn away").

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: November 07, 2016, 02:58:27 pm »

For guaranteed, you'd need to do it in adventure mode after knocking them out.

The effectiveness of weapons generally does depend on strength of blow, yes. DT has even role for Lawdwarf (weak), so that their punches and hammer blows are less likely to outright kill the criminal.

How big that is and how much size helps with damage done exactly, I cannot say. Though push attack, using body mass, seems to be more effective coming from larger enemies.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: November 09, 2016, 04:33:39 pm »

I'm looking to generate a small-pocket world that last for a couple hundred years during world gen. Especially so with Pocket worlds, as it seems to force itself to stop after 30-40 years. Anything I need to change in the advanced settings to get this to work? Using Masterwork DF if that matters.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: November 09, 2016, 06:31:53 pm »

30 years....It's probably megabeasts dying with default checking setting of 30 years. I recall IlFedaykin mentioning MWDF races being essentially megabeasts themselves.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: November 10, 2016, 04:26:57 am »

I'm trying to set up a manager order to automate weapon production if the available unequipped weapon stockpile falls below 10, but I can't seem to find a trait for 'unequipped' or 'in stockpile' or 'available to be equipped' ... something along those lines at least.

Does anyone know of a trait or other method I can use to set up this order?

You asked this quite a while ago, but I'll answer anyway.  All conditions work on "available" items.  Anything that is in the possession of a dwarf, being hauled by a dwarf, used in a building, forbidden or dumped is "unavailable".  So generally, it just works if you set the level at 10.

The caveat is that, anytime someone hauls a weapon, it will become unavailable.  You will notice this if you decide to send one of your weapons to the trade depot.  You will instantly make another one.  If you are putting weapons in bins, *all* of the items in the bin become unavailable when the bin is picked up.  The bin is picked up when anyone takes a weapon out of it, or puts a weapon back into it.  Because the bins can hold a lot of weapons, it means you may go under your threshold every time someone sticks their weapon in a bin after they stop training.

There are 2 things you can do about this.  1) Live with it.  You will end up with excess weapons.  Meh.  2) Don't put weapons in bins.

Especially be careful if you have a high number of items being built.  So if you are building 10 maces in your work order, every time someone picks up a bin, you will make 10 more maces.  It's quite easy to get up to  100 extra maces that way.  I almost never set my work orders to more than 1.  That way you only ever make one thing per work order per day.  It seems slow, but that's like 300 maces a year.  It's fine.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: November 10, 2016, 08:36:52 am »

30 years....It's probably megabeasts dying with default checking setting of 30 years. I recall IlFedaykin mentioning MWDF races being essentially megabeasts themselves.

Ah. Thanks for the information. Honestly didn't think about that, most of the advanced world gen stuff makes my head spin whenever I did try to tweak it. Hopefully it'll last a lot longer :3

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: November 18, 2016, 04:30:43 pm »

Okay I have a really newby question, but does the lazy newb pack come with macros? and if so how do we use it

Edit: Besides that how do you butcher your own anima;s
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:09:36 pm by evillevi »
Love Boat murder

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: November 19, 2016, 02:11:11 am »

If you pump magma will one pump move magma up a chute or is a stack needed?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: November 19, 2016, 04:07:09 am »

Okay I have a really newby question, but does the lazy newb pack come with macros? and if so how do we use it
Information on how to record and play macros is here --> http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macros_and_Keymaps
If you are asking if the LNP comes with pre-recorded macros, I do not know. If they exist, you will see them on the "load macro" screen.
To butcher animals, you need a butcher's workshop and a dwarf with Butcher skill enabled, then 'z' for the Stocks screen, 'Enter' to select the Animals screen, find the critter and hit 'b'.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: November 19, 2016, 04:23:39 am »

If you pump magma will one pump move magma up a chute or is a stack needed?
You need one pump per z-level. This image http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:PumpStack2010.png is from the wiki and shows a good side-view of a pump stack. Here http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Screw_pump#Improved_Magma_Pump_Stack for magma pumpstacks that do not wreck FPS.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: November 19, 2016, 06:48:58 am »

Information on how to record and play macros is here --> http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macros_and_Keymaps
If you are asking if the LNP comes with pre-recorded macros, I do not know. If they exist, you will see them on the "load macro" screen.
To butcher animals, you need a butcher's workshop and a dwarf with Butcher skill enabled, then 'z' for the Stocks screen, 'Enter' to select the Animals screen, find the critter and hit 'b'.
Thanks man :)

Also I have a new problem in that I've made nest boxes bubt my chicken's aren't laying eggs. 

Lastly I found out that for some reason setting max barrels (64~68) it can potentially bug the game to not accepting barrels in that stockpile.   
Love Boat murder

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: November 19, 2016, 07:39:21 am »

Eggs are laid once per season.
For individual specific animals, you can also do this through v-p mark for slaughter.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 21, 2016, 03:11:41 am »

I'm having real trouble with getting a dangerous enough world for me. My fortress is 7-8 years old now and had one or two ambushes and a few mega beats coming but nothing 'fun'. I've go a lot of wealth both created and imported and exported. Three civs, my own human and goblins and now it looks like the goblins are friendly?

I'm running master work with all the fortress defence civs added. I'm planning on starting something new. Should I abandon this one and try to resettle the same world and find a spot with more civs?

Or should I regenerate a new world and change some settings to make it more dangerous?

I usually tend to simulate between 150-250 years is this wrong? More less? Large medium or small region? I tend to stick to medium atm.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 268