Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1847308 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »

Toady, in version 34.08, traps started blocking caravan wagon access to the trade depot, and the wagons can't path over them. Minecart tracks do the same thing. Is this intended, or a bug? (link to report)

Just to add a note of context, it's an ongoing debate within the community whether traps blocking wagons is a bug or not, some feel like it should be a feature or is intended, some feel like it's a bug, but there's no real consensus or agreement.

This was just answered:
My recollection is that this was an intentional change, and the code is consistent with that, though I don't have any specific notes about it. I like not having wagons going back and forth over pressure plates, anyway, though suggestions are welcome in the suggestion forum.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 15, 2014, 03:32:04 pm »

Hiya,

Loving the bug report spree, there are several that I've found annoying now on the resolved list.  Yay!  Here's my question: given the recent mention in the devlog of "Added embark warning if civ is dead", are there any plans to remove the hard-coded randomly generated traders/migrants that were implemented in response to many reports and/or complaints of "no traders/migrants" a couple of major releases ago?  (I don't remember exactly when that was implemented.)

-Dame de la Licorne

Edit: Please ignore this question, it was based on faulty knowledge.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:21:20 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 15, 2014, 08:35:38 pm »

Hiya,

Loving the bug report spree, there are several that I've found annoying now on the resolved list.  Yay!  Here's my question:  given the recent mention in the devlog of "Added embark warning if civ is dead", are there any plans to remove the hard-coded randomly generated traders/migrants that were implemented in response to many reports and/or complaints of "no traders/migrants" a couple of major releases ago?  (I don't remember exactly when that was implemented.)

-Dame de la Licorne
Hardcoded-only traders and migrants have been gone for a long while now (I think since 34.xx). Except for the starting seven (and possibly the first migrant wave, but I can't recall specifically), dwarves are historical figures if possible. I've seen former caravan guards show up at my fortress, for instance, and migrants are... well, still randomly generated, but most definitely not sprung to life from nothingness. Having a dead civ means no more migrants, and no more merchants.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:01:19 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 15, 2014, 08:48:06 pm »

There seems to be some confusion.

All migrants are historic figures, until historic figures run out. You should still get non-historic migrants after that. Those are randomly generated, as usual.

There are two migrant waves that always come. After that, if your civ is dead, no migrants are supposed to come. As far as I know, this is still supposed to be the case. It seems to be possible to have no outpost liaison in the latest version, but still get traders and migrants, but that may be a bug with liaison succession, not dead civs.

So if your civ is small, but not dead you should get randomly generated migrants.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 15, 2014, 08:55:42 pm »

Aye, that's about what I was trying to say, thanks. I just got a little lax with the terminology. Even the non-historical figures have some loose backgrounds and history and such when they're generated. It's probably worth noting, though, that you can keep non-historical figures from being culled with advanced worldgen and avoid this altogether.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:02:50 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 15, 2014, 10:24:36 pm »

The latest devlog showed this:
Added pole-setting parameters for world gen, allowed north+south pole and no-pole options

Wait, so we can now have a world with two poles, or no poles at all? What happens with the no-pole options? Probably the release will hit before this question can be answered.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 15, 2014, 10:53:49 pm »

The latest devlog showed this:
Added pole-setting parameters for world gen, allowed north+south pole and no-pole options

Wait, so we can now have a world with two poles, or no poles at all? What happens with the no-pole options? Probably the release will hit before this question can be answered.

Maybe it's in a radial fashion?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 16, 2014, 01:02:48 am »

I would hazzard a guess, to say that the no pole option, is as it is now.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 16, 2014, 01:33:30 am »

I would hazzard a guess, to say that the no pole option, is as it is now.

Did you never see a glacier in DF? The option as it is now is that we always have one pole, ramdonly choose between north and south.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 16, 2014, 03:21:19 am »

The Suggestions phase begins, woot!  I'm pretty excited to see what stuff Toady implements here, big or small, because even with this first batch there is stuff which I never read/thought about before but seems cool and would like to try in game.  "New Arrival" tag sounds really useful.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 16, 2014, 08:18:23 am »

The Suggestions phase begins, woot!
What suggestion phase? He said (fortunately) that he is back to bugs, at least for time being. I am happy that he actually checks suggestions forum, though. It will motivate many people to post there with better ideas.

It still worries me, as there are still tons of bugs to fix and I see that Toady already gets bored. Pray that your "favourite" bug will be fixed before Toady has enough and start doing something fun (adding more bugs features). IMO it is bad to change gears so soon, because next bugfix crunch will be after next major release - in other words, in 2-3 years.

In fact, I would like to see (after decent multimonth bugfix phase, of course... hey, I can dream) suggestions phase culuminating in bigger release full of mini-features, fixes to non-bugs and other small, small things. Details are where devil lies, after all, and in my opinion DF needs some polishing around rough edges.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 16, 2014, 08:26:05 am »

He still has the optimization phase to go through.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #357 on: August 16, 2014, 08:31:47 am »

It still worries me, as there are still tons of bugs to fix and I see that Toady already gets bored. Pray that your "favourite" bug will be fixed before Toady has enough and start doing something fun (adding more bugs features). IMO it is bad to change gears so soon, because next bugfix crunch will be after next major release - in other words, in 2-3 years.
Whoa, dramatic much?

1) I don't know if you've ever developed any project, but briefly doing something else is not a sign of boredom, it's a sign of making sure you don't turn into a vegetable while keeping your output high :)
2) 2014 is very likely to have been the longest release cycle, because Toady said in an interview he 'finally has enough clay to play with'. Basically, implementing new features is going to be significantly easier because all the base frameworks are in the game now.
(This is why a lot of people are super excited about this release despite it not bringing 'much' to fort mode.)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 16, 2014, 09:57:49 am »

1) I don't know if you've ever developed any project, but briefly doing something else is not a sign of boredom, it's a sign of making sure you don't turn into a vegetable while keeping your output high :)
I know it is possible he did it just for a change.

2) 2014 is very likely to have been the longest release cycle, because Toady said in an interview he 'finally has enough clay to play with'.
I will believe it when it happens. There was thread showing (unintentionally, poor guy that created thread tried to show opposite, but failed epically) ugly trend of releases to be longer, and longer, and longer... interestingly, there are distinct two tiers of release lengths.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #359 on: August 16, 2014, 10:18:02 am »

I will believe it when it happens. There was thread showing (unintentionally, poor guy that created thread tried to show opposite, but failed epically) ugly trend of releases to be longer, and longer, and longer... interestingly, there are distinct two tiers of release lengths.
I respect that you wish to do that, but all I have to say to that thread is that applying statistics to a single person's habits is a really bad idea to begin with, on multiple levels. :/
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 306