Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849536 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #315 on: August 10, 2014, 01:15:00 am »

More or less my thoughts on it, yeah. would be cool, but it's not DF. especially as you can haul around dragon corpses.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 10, 2014, 02:27:00 am »

I think you said at one point that you plan on implementing the ability to perform actions whilst falling in adventure mode. If my adventurer were in the process of falling down a deep vertical shaft and I removed a heavy object from my backpack and threw it, would the conservation of horizontal momentum be respected? In other words, would my falling adventurer be propelled in the opposite direction?
I think that would be ridiculously difficult to do on a set of tiles like DF does, not to mention that the effect would be imperceptibly small anyway.
It wouldn't be imperceptibly small generally; if you throw a heavy backpack while falling, you'd noticeably move in the opposite horizontal direction. However, there's not usually enough time during a fall to do that kind of thing. Currently we can try to grab tree branches and cliff sides during a fall, which is more practical.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2014, 05:20:49 am »

Required animal hauling labor for various jobs
Added new labors for hauling trade goods, pulling levers, removing constructions and hauling water
Made laborless building construct/destroy jobs take furniture hauling
Attached trap cleaning to clean labor
Yes!
Do note this means our labour exempt kids a nobles won't do them anymore.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 10, 2014, 10:08:53 am »

I think you said at one point that you plan on implementing the ability to perform actions whilst falling in adventure mode. If my adventurer were in the process of falling down a deep vertical shaft and I removed a heavy object from my backpack and threw it, would the conservation of horizontal momentum be respected? In other words, would my falling adventurer be propelled in the opposite direction?
I think that would be ridiculously difficult to do on a set of tiles like DF does, not to mention that the effect would be imperceptibly small anyway.
It wouldn't be imperceptibly small generally; if you throw a heavy backpack while falling, you'd noticeably move in the opposite horizontal direction. However, there's not usually enough time during a fall to do that kind of thing. Currently we can try to grab tree branches and cliff sides during a fall, which is more practical.
Keep in mind that realistically you shouldn't be able to throw heavy enough objects to make a noticeable difference. At the very most (realistically) it would have the same effect as you would notice from pushing off a wall , as that's the most force your arms could exert. Thinking you could throw a dragon-loaded backpack in real life would be ridiculous, and although if you could, it would propel you in the opposite direction, realistically you would just be pushing off of it.

Also realistically, if you fall 20 z's and somehow manage to grab onto a cliff face, it would rip your arm off. :P But I consider that an acceptable break from reality, if it means I live a little longer.

Did I use "realistically" enough in this post?  :-[

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 10, 2014, 10:33:14 am »

Keep in mind that realistically you shouldn't be able to throw heavy enough objects to make a noticeable difference. At the very most (realistically) it would have the same effect as you would notice from pushing off a wall , as that's the most force your arms could exert. Thinking you could throw a dragon-loaded backpack in real life would be ridiculous, and although if you could, it would propel you in the opposite direction, realistically you would just be pushing off of it.

Also realistically, if you fall 20 z's and somehow manage to grab onto a cliff face, it would rip your arm off. :P But I consider that an acceptable break from reality, if it means I live a little longer.

Did I use "realistically" enough in this post?  :-[
It won't make a difference in slowing your fall, but throwing a 60 pound backpack in mid aid should make a difference in where you land. So doesn't need to be unrealistically heavy. It's not really a useful thing to do though. Firing a bow should have a comparable effect, since your arms are working just as hard, but again, firing a bow while falling or being thrown isn't practical. Firing a preloaded crossbow could be slightly more realistic, and would push you more.

It would be cool to model this accurately, but it doesn't really add value to the game. Especially when there are more pressing ways to make falling better, such as having some notion of landing on your feet.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2014, 11:57:10 am »

It will be sad when df is too realistic to have fun with.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2014, 05:33:19 pm »

Looks like some wierd bug with walls and materials snuck into 40.07.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7937

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2014, 10:03:52 pm »

Quote from: sal880612m on July 14, 2014, 08:08:54 pm
Okay so while Toady is clearly against concubinage, is he in general against the idea of having a some sort of extramarital consort/mistress that could lead to things like illegitimate heirs and other such intrigues?

It was a while ago, but I really just set the child board up on the condition that none of the really explicit material be in there (I originally had the body part mods in mind).  Meph decided what was in and out on his own, but I can't say I disagree (I don't have a definite opinion on this specific case, since I don't know the implementation, but I would have agreed with removing anything like sexual slavery).  I'm not against adding extramarital stuff or other variety/antics/etc.  If, when break-ups and so on are added to the relationship code, DF ends up like a reality show, that could be for the best.
I am slightly late, I just wanted to give a bit of background info:

Concubines were added as a game mechanic to get more dwarves in a fort with low migration, since they are civ-members that give birth to children without being married. That meant that you can more easily replenish your numbers. Side effect was of course that they are owned as pet, can be butchered, and that migrants arrive with them. In the current mod that is no longer needed, since dfhack allowed me to make the Townportal, a building that spawns new civ members, simulated as migrants that arrive directly teleported from the mountainhomes.

So one feature got removed, another added, both having the same game mechanic of generating more fort members. Thats it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #323 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:51 am »

I'm curious, I know there must be something about it somewhere but my searching skills are failing me.

Are there any plans to have dwarf personalities modified by circumstance? Like, a dwarf who doesn't value family starting to value family because their relationships with their family is so good in game. Or a dwarf that is naturally pessimistic becoming more optimistic because they are surrounded by optimistic dwarves. In other words, dwarves are affected by nature, but are they going to be affected by nurture?
I know Toady has mentioned 'training' your adventurer's personality, and I know that dwarves can become traumatised, but I can't remember anything specific outside that, and I sorta refuse to believe there hasn't been... It's just, my searching skills are failing me?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2014, 10:26:02 am »

I'm curious, I know there must be something about it somewhere but my searching skills are failing me.

Are there any plans to have dwarf personalities modified by circumstance? Like, a dwarf who doesn't value family starting to value family because their relationships with their family is so good in game. Or a dwarf that is naturally pessimistic becoming more optimistic because they are surrounded by optimistic dwarves. In other words, dwarves are affected by nature, but are they going to be affected by nurture?
I know Toady has mentioned 'training' your adventurer's personality, and I know that dwarves can become traumatised, but I can't remember anything specific outside that, and I sorta refuse to believe there hasn't been... It's just, my searching skills are failing me?
It's definitely been talked about, mostly in the context of children being born with fully-formed personalities. This bit is from DF Talk 3, but there should be others.:
Rainseeker:   I have a question from guyinthecrowd: [6]'Will the environment a dwarf is raised in affect what they like/dislike? For example, if a dwarf is unhappy as a child being raised in a fortress made entirely out of mined Orthoclase, will said dwarf dislike Orthoclase as an adult? Or as a counter-example, if a dwarf is happy whilst being raised in a room of Kaolinite, will said dwarf like Kaolinite when they become an adult?'
Toady:   That's kind of a specific example, and I guess that's what it comes down to though. We've had discussions in the past about how the babies pop out right now with fully formed personalities and likes and dislikes and so on, and how that's silly. So then you've got to answer some nature versus nurture questions yourself and then decide what is it that influences these things? I haven't thought about that deeply what's going in the game and what's not for that, it's just recognized as one of those third-tier problems that eventually needs to be dealt with in terms of future development. So I don't have specific opinions on the things put there, but certainly children should acknowledge their parents' professions and if they're given toys as a child that should be able to influence them and so on. It's not difficult to do any specific example of that, especially if you add things like kids playing with toys which obviously has to happen sometime - we have these toys that no-one ever uses; right now they're just trade goods which is kind of silly, the same thing for musical instruments - and once they can use those things then adding a specific influence there is something that's pretty trivial. You just need to have enough of those things that the process seems natural. Like I said it's not a high priority thing, but it's something we'd like to do, vaguely along those lines.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #325 on: August 11, 2014, 10:40:35 am »

Thanks! If anyone else can find other snippets, much obliged!

The reason I'm asking was because I was considering Dwarf Fortress as a story generator, and one of the key elements of writing a good story is character arcs.
Now, DF already gives us what 9 to 5 writers call 'character trees': Basically, the entirety of the thoughts and preferences screen. A character arc is the story of the cause of changes to a character's character tree. So, once changes to the thoughts and preferences screen become more possible, DF will be able to tell us much more varied stories than it does now. (Though, the stories it tells about people who refuse to change is pretty impressive/entertaining as well)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:57 am »

Toady, in version 34.08, traps started blocking caravan wagon access to the trade depot, and the wagons can't path over them. Minecart tracks do the same thing. Is this intended, or a bug? (link to report)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:46:17 am by Talvieno »

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 12, 2014, 11:08:16 am »

Traps have always blocked wagon access, haven't they?

edit: Oh, a change that happened before my time. Ignore this post.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:10:19 am by Authority2 »
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2014, 11:24:19 am »

Toady, in version 34.08, traps started blocking caravan wagon access to the trade depot, and the wagons can't path over them. Minecart tracks do the same thing. Is this intended, or a bug? (link to report)

Just to add a note of context, it's an ongoing debate within the community whether traps blocking wagons is a bug or not, some feel like it should be a feature or is intended, some feel like it's a bug, but there's no real consensus or agreement.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 12, 2014, 04:43:01 pm »

Removed requirement that a creature have a baby/child state to breed

does this mean the only requirement for a creature to breed now is a male and female caste?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 306