Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849615 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3660 on: March 14, 2016, 04:03:44 am »

I think the ability to enter new, physical planes inhabited by magical beings or something of the sort as a late-game thing would enormously expand the playability of the game, and a player's motivation to continue forward. I'd love to see some planes that are hellish and require late-game and others that are just magical and maybe require luck or adventuring to get to. Just my wishful thinking...

I would love to be a planeswalker.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3661 on: March 14, 2016, 06:18:29 am »

I think the ability to enter new, physical planes inhabited by magical beings or something of the sort as a late-game thing would enormously expand the playability of the game, and a player's motivation to continue forward. I'd love to see some planes that are hellish and require late-game and others that are just magical and maybe require luck or adventuring to get to. Just my wishful thinking...
I myself would love to see atleast one type of plane that sort of goes the "eldritch, surreal horror" way. Like a "land of confusion" where nothing makes sense - bizarre, completely randomly generated creatures (even weirder than already existing titans or FBs) that aren't neccessarily hostile and could be adopted by dwarves, and strange plants, i.e fleshy organic trees that sprout giant bubble-like fruit with elephants or other animals inside them, etc. Potentially a wandering "deity" megabeast that holds the dimension together.
Or alternatively something like the aforemention Pure Zones from OFF where it's just pristine nothingness - white nondescript grass, trees and stone, remnants of buildings and such - no living beings aside from giant demonic entities that'd be the "megabeasts" of the dimension.

In any case that's probably veering too close to "suggestion" territory.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3662 on: March 14, 2016, 06:32:15 am »

Pretty sure they're just planes, like that magic bucket that would shift your fort into the fireplane. Seems like these would just be small pockets being like 10-25 percent the size of the map existing along side. Though it might be cool if we could define them and have them linked via portals and summoning rituals.

Disc world seems unliky but it might be a real myth.
Actually toady has said they could be quite big.He has even mentioned the possibility of alternate universes.(though they may only be a couple z levels tall, to save memory)  Also, we will have 64 bit at that point so lots of memory available.

http://www.bay12games.com/media/Dwarf_Fortress_Talk_16.mp3

I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3663 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:32 am »

Right now all outside tombs that exist in the world are pyramids, you said in df talk 14 that your algorithm knows how to fill up any shape with rooms (including rounded areas) So my question is when do you plan to add burial mounds and burial castles?
Its fun to explore pyramids, but the occasional shape change/variance would make exploring the worlds various tombs much more interesting.
Also do you plan to add isolated tombs and outside graveyards? These do exist in the real world, so why not the df world?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:30:00 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: March 14, 2016, 09:04:42 am »

The real world doesn't have necromancers coming around to rip Uncle Fester out of his grave for nefarious purposes...

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: March 14, 2016, 11:36:00 am »

The real world doesn't have necromancers coming around to rip Uncle Fester out of his grave for nefarious purposes...

Non sequitur.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: March 14, 2016, 11:39:44 am »

Non sequitur.

Much sequitur in fact. I would assume that the threat of necromancy would have a considerable effect on a culture's burial practices. If anything, if it got particularly bad you'd think that cremation would gain particular popularity.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: March 14, 2016, 12:17:05 pm »

Non sequitur.

Much sequitur in fact. I would assume that the threat of necromancy would have a considerable effect on a culture's burial practices. If anything, if it got particularly bad you'd think that cremation would gain particular popularity.
Cremation is a good choice, as is burial at locations that cannot be accessed easily, as well as guarded and trapped tombs/necropolises/catacombs. Unmarked burial would work as well, unless necros have means to locate these sites (and the neighbor may very well sell the location of your site to a necro if so, so secret unmarked burial may be a thing). You might also consider some kind of poison pill where either the body is laced with something that will destroy it if raised, or something that will keep it down (stakes through vampire hearts style, but not easily removed by a necro, or at least requiring the necro to dig out the body pysically, as opposed to raising the body to have it dig itself out).

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: March 14, 2016, 12:31:23 pm »

Are we going to get a bugfix update after .07? Because I just stumbled upon the "stress has no effect" bug ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9074 ) after a very deliberate effort to drive 7 dwarves insane.

As much as I personally love the recent array of additions, have found them useful for modding, and anticipate the impending additions, I'm also concerned that little of that hype has involved bugfixes, cannibalism, or giant desert scorpions. ;A;

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: March 14, 2016, 12:42:29 pm »

Non sequitur.

Cremation is a good choice, as is burial at locations that cannot be accessed easily, as well as guarded and trapped tombs/necropolises/catacombs. Unmarked burial would work as well, unless necros have means to locate these sites (and the neighbor may very well sell the location of your site to a necro if so, so secret unmarked burial may be a thing). You might also consider some kind of poison pill where either the body is laced with something that will destroy it if raised, or something that will keep it down (stakes through vampire hearts style, but not easily removed by a necro, or at least requiring the necro to dig out the body pysically, as opposed to raising the body to have it dig itself out).

That all makes sense. I would still expect to see graveyards for ashes though.

On the other hand, necromancers tend to get corpses en masse from recent battlefields in worldgen, so maybe old corpses are safe. This is all assuming necromancers are known and common of course.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: March 14, 2016, 12:46:51 pm »

On the other hand, necromancers tend to get corpses en masse from recent battlefields in worldgen, so maybe old corpses are safe. This is all assuming necromancers are known and common of course.

In worldgen maybe, but in gameplay any intact corpse is unsafe, as mummies aptly demonstrate.

Battlefields of course are simply a more convenient source, so clearly worldgen necromancers learned their tricks from Herbert West. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: March 14, 2016, 01:18:10 pm »

I assumed that was an approximation. Surely at some point a corpse becomes immune to necromancy or they'd be able to raise dust and fertile soil. It's a question of how long it's possible.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: March 14, 2016, 02:49:28 pm »

Step 1. Kill a lot of elves.
Step 2. Locate the portal to the elven afterlife plane.
Step 3. Inconveniently timed drink, meal and sleep.
Step 4. Equip an army and storm the elven afterlife plane.
Step 5. Kill the same elves all over again.
Step 6. See if there's a portal to an elven afterafterlife...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #3673 on: March 14, 2016, 03:23:12 pm »

Right now all outside tombs that exist in the world are pyramids, you said in df talk 14 that your algorithm knows how to fill up any shape with rooms (including rounded areas) So my question is when do you plan to add burial mounds and burial castles?
Its fun to explore pyramids, but the occasional shape change/variance would make exploring the worlds various tombs much more interesting.
Also do you plan to add isolated tombs and outside graveyards? These do exist in the real world, so why not the df world?

Regarding the shapes of tombs, more shapes already exist beyond just a pyramid. I have encountered square and rectangle tombs and some of them have "towers" protruding from them at various corners of the previously mentioned shapes.

The circular shapes seems to be reserved for vaults and dark fortresses. But, as noted above, there is already a great variance of different architectural shapes for tombs. I would argue that it's the towers and keeps that are more standard at this point in time.

For what it's worth, from DF talk #8:
... the humans civilizations for example, it would be lame if they all had the same architecture, once I refresh my memory on what are the bits and pieces that make up the different architectures, what kind of different buildings there are and all that kind of stuff, they should make choices, then, and be able to have the towns have different characters to them when they make their walls or just their houses and various castles and little parapet things, and little spikes that stick out of the top with little flags on them, and minarets and all that kind of thing or whatever. As much diversity as you've got in the real world, as much as we can convey with a tile based format, that stuff should come across, it's one of those things where you have to engage in the project at some point and actually do it, and it's hard to time things which are superfluous in a sense, but they should be done. At first things will look vanilla, just as we get people to have walls properly and moats and tapestries and rugs and things, just making the towns look better, but as we get enough information to allow them to diversify then they should be able to do that, hopefully.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: March 14, 2016, 03:41:35 pm »

Step 1. Kill a lot of elves.
Step 2. Locate the portal to the elven afterlife plane.
Step 3. Inconveniently timed drink, meal and sleep.
Step 4. Equip an army and storm the elven afterlife plane.
Step 5. Kill the same elves all over again.
Step 6. See if there's a portal to an elven afterafterlife...

What happens if they just reincarnate into animals or even dwarfs?
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 306