Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849460 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3720 on: March 18, 2016, 12:37:29 pm »

Also why are "Clowns" still "Clowns"? I think at this point they have more then stepped into common knowledge.

What with them being in Dark Fortresses, appearing on the legends list, and being smack dab right there in the myth generator to come.

And yet there was still that one instance in DF2012 where someone got tricked into opening up the curious underground structure, and hilarity ensued. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: March 18, 2016, 12:42:46 pm »

At least I saw less dorfs and Urists recently.
I guess clown is just old habbit when you are not sure whether you should use spoiler code, those who understand it understand it anyway.

Hey, I have an actual adventurer dwarf race called dorfs and I never get sick of hearing "Greetings, dorf." as I wander around.

Urists are also the best unit of measurement ever, screw all this metric vs imperial crap!

That door is 2 by 3 Urists, a 3 Urist long spear weighs 5 Urists, and it's a chilly 9500 Urists outside.

I always thought it was Happy Fun Stuff though, not Hidden.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: March 18, 2016, 12:47:58 pm »

It seems HFS is more or less official, since HFIDs are used for associating angels and divine metals with deities.

Apparently this means that angels are Hidden and Fun, but not Stuff.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: March 18, 2016, 01:21:52 pm »

It seems HFS is more or less official, since HFIDs are used for associating angels and divine metals with deities.
That's Historical Figure ID, though, not Hidden Fun ID.  :P
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: March 18, 2016, 01:25:11 pm »

That's Historical Figure ID, though, not Hidden Fun ID.  :P

Boooo, spoil my fun. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: March 18, 2016, 03:03:45 pm »

Will the myth generator going to have impact at gameplay time during adventure mode ?
I mean gameplay impact in the sense of by example the

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in opposition to being just dialogue description from a NPC ?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3726 on: March 18, 2016, 03:20:25 pm »

Will the myth generator going to have impact at gameplay time during adventure mode ?
I mean gameplay impact in the sense of by example the

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in opposition to being just dialogue description from a NPC ?

For sure, it will involve artifacts you can use and magic systems you can explore. And alternate planes you can go to and such.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: March 18, 2016, 03:50:55 pm »

alternate planes you can actually travel to ?
That sounds frankly great.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: March 18, 2016, 04:09:41 pm »

Of course, that's the aspect that's probably farthest away. But yes, part of the point of the myth generator is to give non-player artifacts some background, non-player artifacts should cause several changes as outlined in DF Talk #22, and many elements that are created by the generator have the chance to be existent in the adventurer's world - there's locations, which may be destroyed (so a chance for ruins), there's spirit types that may be encounterable (demons, fairies), there are individually-named creatures of various types (cosmic megabeasts, night creatures, animals) that could conceivably be encountered, and yes, magic styles that could be learned. Not everything will be in the game immediately, of course.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: March 18, 2016, 06:06:19 pm »

And villians who will plot to steal artifacts from you (and elsewhere). No more, "Smaug the Dragon is our greatest foe, in his spite he stole a pigtail sock."(hopefully).

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: March 18, 2016, 06:09:37 pm »

And villians who will plot to steal artifacts from you (and elsewhere). No more, "Smaug the Dragon is our greatest foe, in his spite he stole a pigtail sock."(hopefully).

I'm sure there will still be plenty of sock theft, via eating people the socks are attached to.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: March 18, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »

It's been over a year since the last Dwarf Fortress Talk. It'd be great to hear one of those sometime if you guys can find the time.

That isn't a question or Lime green.

A post I saw said "Green" and it's something I'd like a response to. Fixed the color.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: March 18, 2016, 06:22:52 pm »

In the podcast Toady gave the same reply he's given the past few times he's been asked about Dftalk. Nice but takes time, requires thinking about topics.

Still, if the GDC talk video doesn't go up for free any time soon a chat about myth-gen would be much appreciated.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: March 18, 2016, 06:24:49 pm »

It's been over a year since the last Dwarf Fortress Talk. It'd be great to hear one of those sometime if you guys can find the time.

That isn't a question or Lime green.

A post I saw said "Green" and it's something I'd like a response to. Fixed the color.
I think Toady responds to either, but standard green is really hard to read on some monitors.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3734 on: March 18, 2016, 07:20:26 pm »

In the podcast Toady gave the same reply he's given the past few times he's been asked about Dftalk. Nice but takes time, requires thinking about topics.

Still, if the GDC talk video doesn't go up for free any time soon a chat about myth-gen would be much appreciated.
Would love this.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 306