Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 208688 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot]
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2014, 01:10:36 pm »

How high up is your food, or is he hanging onto a side wall?

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:12 pm »

Since this method was pioneered by a forumite called "McDonald", I vote for McDonalds Play Place or something to that effect.

Girl in Hat started the dwarven childcare concept in the previous release, and many people ended up making significant contributions, and before that kids were put into daycare that was literally an atom smasher or lava pit by the more cynical members of the community.

I think leaving it as Dwarven Daycare is best - naming it is unnecessary and is more likely to do harm(besides dorf child deaths)/has more potential to offend people.
Just look at any academic community to understand what I mean.
Besides, literally everyone knows what dwarven childcare is because of the popularity of the old thread.

I do want to congratulate ALL the people in this thread, on their contributions thus far though. :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:42:32 pm by TheOnlySolitaire »

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2014, 01:18:59 pm »

Welp, the sucker-puncher caused a tantrum spiral. The subject has destroyed all training utilities in a fit of rage and research is highly unlikely to proceed. Thank you for assistance and start your research!

TheOnlySolitaire: Yes, the project is named "Dwarven Daycare", but I meant the daycare utilities (chambers).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:57:13 pm by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2014, 02:28:08 pm »

I started a new fort dedicated to !!SCIENCE!! and of course two miserable dwarves came from my previous fortress to F me in the A kill my dwarves. They have killed two and made everyone else unhappy, then one of them went stark raving mad. Fun start!

Edit: And right now I got ambushed by kobolds. What next? Titans?
Edit2: FFFFFFFFF~
Edit3: Another fort. My miner and woodcutter drop their tools and say "Equipment mismatch". I'm starting to lose sanity.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:43:42 pm by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2014, 02:56:06 pm »

PTW

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2014, 03:42:16 pm »

Girl in Hat started the dwarven childcare concept in the previous release, and many people ended up making significant contributions, and before that kids were put into daycare that was literally an atom smasher or lava pit by the more cynical members of the community.

I think leaving it as Dwarven Daycare is best - naming it is unnecessary and is more likely to do harm(besides dorf child deaths)/has more potential to offend people.
Just look at any academic community to understand what I mean.
Besides, literally everyone knows what dwarven childcare is because of the popularity of the old thread.

I do want to congratulate ALL the people in this threat, on their contributions thus far though. :)

I don't think there's any harm in naming a specific technique after a forumite. I imagine we'll discover multiple methods with varying survival rates and levels of labor intensiveness and they should have names for the purpose of clarity.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2014, 03:53:57 pm »

Yay for McDonald's Play Place!

I made a new fortress with invaders disabled. Everything's fine, the chamber is almost prepared and every single dwarf is ecstatic. Something's bound to happen soon.

I like reading my dwarves' personalities, they make much more sense. I think that I'm too connected with my dwarves as I feel sorry for one who is frequently depressed and fears what others think of him :( .
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2014, 04:21:42 pm »

Well, undead and sudden inability to brew things put an early end to Dwarven Boarding School v2.0. Now trying again with regenned world and a new fort in excellent location...

Getting a stable fort running in DF2014 seems to involve way more FUN than in 34.11 days.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2014, 04:25:22 pm »

Yeah, for me it's either a perfect embark or instant !!FUN!!.

Have any of you had extreme performance issues? In 34.11 I was able to run DF at several thousand FPS, now I rarely hit 100.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:29:33 pm by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2014, 04:45:47 pm »

Yeah, for me it's either a perfect embark or instant !!FUN!!.

Have any of you had extreme performance issues? In 34.11 I was able to run DF at several thousand FPS, now I rarely hit 100.
It's the living world. Even at embark it's hard to maintain 100 fps. Optimization is one of Toady's big objectives but until then I just can't handle fort mode in .40

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2014, 04:51:56 pm »

Can dwarves climb statues? Or maybe engraved walls? My previous subject managed to escape although there was no rough walls in his chamber.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2014, 05:39:30 pm »

One migrant wave, six children. Time to get this going.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2014, 12:34:58 am »

Can dwarves climb statues? Or maybe engraved walls? My previous subject managed to escape although there was no rough walls in his chamber.
They can climb smoothed walls in a pinch I hear.

I recommend putting retracting bridges in the food slot. Either one of them, controlled by lever, or two stacked together. You can make an airlock arrangement (rig one bridge, flip the switch, rig the other), or if that's not good enough to keep them, have two separate levers.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2014, 03:49:56 am »

Yeah, from that moment I installed a hatch there. Hatches are better because they don't lag when opening.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2014, 07:37:50 am »

They can climb smoothed walls in a pinch I hear.

I recommend putting retracting bridges in the food slot. Either one of them, controlled by lever, or two stacked together. You can make an airlock arrangement (rig one bridge, flip the switch, rig the other), or if that's not good enough to keep them, have two separate levers.
In adventure mode testing it's entirely impossible to climb smooth walls. Block walls are exceedingly difficult to hold onto but smooth walls don't even give the option. If there are rough walls above them though it's possible the child climbed on those.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 62