Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 123

Author Topic: BYOR 13 - Game Over: Thirteen  (Read 243732 times)

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 13 - Day 3: Lucky Number Thirteen!
« Reply #1020 on: August 29, 2014, 07:39:57 pm »

If scum isn't immune,then why have this ability ? You risk failling your NK, and lose the other actions from ally scum. Again, it's a thing of balance. I guess you could have the person launching it be immune, but then he must do the NK.

I'm going with the most likely function of that panic. Disrupting town to give the scum a chance. early on

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 29, 2014, 07:53:47 pm »

To whoever complaining about lockdown: You guys have been talking about town only weapon is lynching and night game is not important so why are you complaining and saying lockdown is useless now?
Ok i understand that toaster might be lying and lockdown might not actually work but even if it dont work, it doesnt really affect the game much anyway.
Anyway i agree with lynching toaster just for the guarantee that we can get rid of him tmr if something fishy happen. Even if this might kill him tonight, we will atleast know that his ability doesnt work the way he say it should or scum have a unstoppable kill or at the very least we force a oneshot unstoppable kill.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 30, 2014, 02:03:40 am »

I'm not actually sure yet, Tiruin. I was considering mainly the people I have no idea about in terms of confirmation. Jack, for example.

And I wouldn't be for a Toaster lynch, but whatever.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 30, 2014, 02:39:08 am »

TolyK:
Does anyone want anyone else inspected? I'll take your opinions into consideration.
If MBP's not dead, which I'll not be happy about, confirming him as scum after all or an ability cop could be nice.

More generally, there are two nice classes of people to inspect: Suspicious people, so we don't have to waste a lynch on them if they're town, and people with useful actions, so we can let them run amok if Toaster's thingy works. Both is even better, ie MBP/Varee.

Speaking of which, who have you confirmed so far?

Cheeetar:
And I'd like to reiterate that "cannot stop all NKs forever" is not the same as "useless." Again, recall the counter to Goddess- scum revives, ability steals, and a 50% town kill magnet. That didn't mean the ability was worthless or didn't affect scum, it just meant it had a counter.
"Cannot stop scum from killing town while at the same time can stop all town from doing anything ever" = useless.
No, it's not. I just explained why it's not. He might be able to lock down scum but not the SK. He might be able to lock down all actions save a specific one-shot. He might be able to out someone as lying about their role.

"Cannot stop all kills forever" != useless.

Why would he do it? Because there's something he hasn't told us about his alignment, or because he has a feeling that scum would be able to win within two flawless, uninterrupted nights if he sides with them. We don't need to guess at why he might do it, we need to eliminate the chance of it happening. If this works and Toaster sides with us we have won. Let's do our best to make sure this happens, eh?
He's not gonna give up his cushy job as town antiaction field on a hunch. He's probably not even gonna give up his cushy job as town antiaction field on a promise- the same "what if he's hiding something" shenanigans apply to the town at least as much as they do him. I would agree that there's a chance of him betraying and murdering us all, but I would argue that it's a particularly small one.

MBP:
If scum isn't immune,then why have this ability ? You risk failling your NK, and lose the other actions from ally scum. Again, it's a thing of balance. I guess you could have the person launching it be immune, but then he must do the NK.
This is circular logic. "This ability would be worthless on scum, therefore it's a scum ability but they're immune to it."

I'm going with the most likely function of that panic. Disrupting town to give the scum a chance. early on
Based on what? You've ignored every question I've raised about it, from a prior example to feasibility concerns, and are relying on circular logic and Tiruin lying in a hyperspecific way to make your version work.

I don't think you actually think Tiriun's scum. I think you're terrified/enraged at the combo because it's ruining your wincon.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 30, 2014, 04:14:55 am »

Irony, I've confirmed Toaster as "neutral", Flabort as town (before he was lynched, but derp), NQT as town (as he died, so really derp).
I am also inclined to believe Tiruin and Varee due to them being fairly transparent.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 30, 2014, 05:14:56 am »

Cheeetar:
And I'd like to reiterate that "cannot stop all NKs forever" is not the same as "useless." Again, recall the counter to Goddess- scum revives, ability steals, and a 50% town kill magnet. That didn't mean the ability was worthless or didn't affect scum, it just meant it had a counter.
"Cannot stop scum from killing town while at the same time can stop all town from doing anything ever" = useless.
No, it's not. I just explained why it's not. He might be able to lock down scum but not the SK. He might be able to lock down all actions save a specific one-shot. He might be able to out someone as lying about their role.

"Cannot stop all kills forever" != useless.

Let's assume there's a kill on Night 3. What then? Do we continue to have Toaster block everybody (most assuredly all town actions unless somebody hasn't claimed something) in the hope that it was 'just a one-shot' or something?
And how exactly would Toaster be able to show that somebody was lying about their role?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 30, 2014, 05:28:50 pm »

Irony, if you don't wanna read and understand, fine by me. Because it shows. Try again

Actually, don't. I'll save you the hassle. It is OP for Town, so it's not town. Easy enough to understand?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: August 30, 2014, 05:50:44 pm »

MBP, I believe there are too many assumptions in your logic. At least in terms of the balancing of this game.

Also, meta-reasons are totally  the best reasons for lynching someone who's been seen as very likely town. :p
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 30, 2014, 06:14:08 pm »

Apologies, everyone.  I'm heading back to university tomorrow, and am rather busy.

Did MBP ever answer my questions?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 30, 2014, 07:55:19 pm »

Not so far as I can see, Jack.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 30, 2014, 11:16:34 pm »

PFP, fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck IRL

MBP:
Because as a scum they should be immune by default. If so, they can continue NKilling while inconveniencing town. The combo also falls since they can simply kill NQH/Toaster and get rid of it. Then again, they can let it go,since it impact town and not themselves.

If it's a town ability, then scum is affected by it, and NQH/Toaster can lockdown. Scum only chance lay in lynching NQT/Toaster, which is unlikely, since he can just come out if his head is on the chopping block.
As a scum tool, it doesn't seem powerful enough to warrant the playercount == 13 restriction, especially since the charade of scum being affected would go away if they did anything publicly visible (like a kill), as NQT/Toaster would simply reverse the current plan and allow everything/remove the ability. And with his regenerating revive, Toaster doesn't need to fear the scum nearly as much, and instead can afford to ingratiate himself to the town.

TolyK: Define "neutral" re: your inspection results.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 30, 2014, 11:48:05 pm »

Ask it again, Jack i'll see to answer it

Urist
They still get a almost free night, with lower chances of inspec, protect, etc. It's not weak, at all.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 31, 2014, 02:45:13 am »

UI, that's exactly the read I got - "neutral".
He's a goddamn confirmed survivor.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 31, 2014, 08:18:17 am »

Yes, and I'd like you to go ask Web what he means by it. I would bet good money that it simply means "neither town nor scum." Additionally, as far as I can see, he is explicitly an unconfirmed survivor.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 01, 2014, 04:40:43 am »

So... is everybody fine with the tied vote we seem to be heading towards?

TheWetSheep, Urist Imiknorris, TolyK, Jack A T- None of you are voting: Why?
I've played some mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 123