Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slow down time/ speed up dwarves?  (Read 7614 times)

atracious

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Slow down time/ speed up dwarves?
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:11:26 pm »

Hi all! I have a small issue with dwarf fortress and I'm wondering if there is a way I can fix it through modding.

It seems like every time I play, my dwarves take quite alot of time to do everything. For example, digging a simple tunnel into a hillside at the start of a game usually take a month. And the dwrves only seem to eat/drink/sleep 2 or 3 times a season. I'm wondering if there is a way to make it so that a 'tick' in game represents less time on the calendar, or if there is a way to speed up dwarves so that they actually get stuff done in a timely matter. Any help would be appreciated

~Atracious

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: Slow down time/ speed up dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:16:21 pm »

Time ticks are hard coded to span 1200 ticks for a day in fort mode and 86400  in adventure mode.  Fort mode is supposed to be fast-paced, so it runs on weird time.

There was a SPEED tag in older versions, which controlled both agility and work speed, but that tag has been replaced by gaits, which only control movement speed.

atracious

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:01 pm »

Time ticks are hard coded to span 1200 ticks for a day in fort mode and 86400  in adventure mode.  Fort mode is supposed to be fast-paced, so it runs on weird time.

There was a SPEED tag in older versions, which controlled both agility and work speed, but that tag has been replaced by gaits, which only control movement speed.

so there's no way to modify it to say...12000 ticks per day in fort mode?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:47:20 pm »

Isn't it possible by affecting the max FPS or is that just slow down?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:15:28 pm »

Isn't it possible by affecting the max FPS or is that just slow down?
If your computer was good enough to be hitting the maximum FPS cap then you could raise that yes, but you would need to have a good enough computer for it to make a difference.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:16 pm »

That will speed up how fast dwarves do things in your time, but if you want them to dig a tunnel in faster than a month in game time FPS will have no effect. Changing GAIT will make them move faster, but it is currently unknown if there is a way to increase job speed in the new version.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:09:40 am »

ALT+- and ALT+= decreases/increases game speed as well.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 02:08:44 am »

When Dfhack gets updated, it has an excellent tool to make the dwarves do everything at ultra-speed. Of course, this also includes attacking; so I like to turn it off whenever we get besieged.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 06:15:33 am »

Guys, I think more FPS is not what the OP wants. If the game runs twice as fast, the dwarves move twice as fast, but also twice as much times passes. He wants to slow down the calender days, not run a faster game. Or speed up the creatures, without speeding up the time.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:06:28 am »

Don't they work faster as their skills go up?  Of course a new fortress with a "miner" that's never even seen a pickaxe in his life before is going to take a while...and yeah, they only eat/drink/sleep a few times a season because fort mode ignores the day/night cycle and puts all of their rest cycles into one chunk...I would hate it if they had to run home and go to bed every 15 seconds.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 02:20:28 pm »

Don't they work faster as their skills go up?  Of course a new fortress with a "miner" that's never even seen a pickaxe in his life before is going to take a while...and yeah, they only eat/drink/sleep a few times a season because fort mode ignores the day/night cycle and puts all of their rest cycles into one chunk...I would hate it if they had to run home and go to bed every 15 seconds.
"Gaaaa... these eight-second workdays are killing me!"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:53:43 pm »

The SPEED token no longer works, but I think speed multipliers in syndromes still do (zombies are slowed down in both movement and attack speed, so I'm guessing the code is unchanged).  You can give dwarves a self-targeting interaction that multiplies their speed by a given amount.  Might also want to give it to the other races, to keep dwarves from having an unfair combat advantage.

Slowing down the calendar itself isn't possible without some rather intensive dfhacking.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 02:54:28 pm »

Since nobody seems to have answered your question straight-up: no, you can't do that, and I don't think DFHack can either.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:40 pm »

You can write a script that periodically resets the counter that advances the calendar ticks (which normally advance every 10 ticks), lengthening the time it takes to advance the date.  That's how the masterwork gnomish time machine works.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 03:26:14 pm »

...which messes up military training schedules and everything else that depends on calender time (?)

Otherwise a slow, normal and fast game speed would be a nice setting to have. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2