Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: ☼"Blackhold," A Masterwork Orc Fortress☼ - Under new management!  (Read 59303 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Thashumghoshakh, "Blackhold," A Masterwork Orc Story Fortress☼
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:01 am »

Houses are dug or built, one by one, another after another; the second drydock's construction is delayed by a need for stone to build a foundation, and stone to build the hovels the orcs will call home. A steel saber is purchased to replace the lost ashland glass blade from the goblin, as small raid boats begin to go up and down the brook further inland to a freelancer camp.

The master physician begins to behave quite oddly, and takes over a craftsorc's bench, and Palu makes it known that new warriors will need to wait for armor. Beirus is looked to to lead a squad that will eventually take to the battlefield with arms of the dragon: Katana and composite bow.

So the artifact is made, but it... it doesn't quite fall within the realms of the possible. It simply fades from existence soon after its creation.

[I don't... I... But how... Great, Good job smakemupagus, good job Meph, your stupid mod broke my brain.]

The enemy arrives not long after, leading some to believe the strange artifact all saw disappear, was a herald of battle.

And there were no words to describe how loud the warriors' laughter was. And they were right to laugh. The gnomes charged the assembled warriors, brandishing various slightly oversized tools and one armed with a screwdriver atop a bobcat. The orcs stifled their laughter and called out a commendation for their bravery, and the warriors saluted the advancing little gnomes before charging forward. The gnomes flew their war standard high (as they could anyway,) and charged into the face of certain death against the orcs.

They had earned that salute before the first of them hit the grass without her head.

That night, to the surprise of many, the gnomes were celebrated as individuals of near unmatched bravery, as their tools and shields were taken to the smelters.

Days later, came an odd sight: The Drow. Many drow city-states are bitter enemies of the orcs, but even they recognize a need to trade for wares they cannot easily get, or that would be considered exotic in their holdings. For hard to come by cavern brews and plants, chests made from fungiwoods, and seed to plant subterranean crops in small quantities, the orcs quickly fold up and crate the large sum of dwarven and gnomish clothing, with the Clan leader and Speaker Morbai managing to convince the drow that they can be sold elsewhere for a greater profit. Soon after trade is concluded, it is found a masterwork belonging to Palu has been lost in some manner, presumed to have been left on the frozen water in front of the drydock and swept away by the brook's swift current. And following this, clamor for a bloodbowl ground is answered with two fields prepared so that orcs may entertain themselves with sport.

Elsewhere in the hold, a storehouse to open look is raised, and more homeless orcs given places to live, while the artisans seek out a place to build a molten pit and a great foundry.

Sorry about such a lack luster update for this one guys. Mostly things were quiet up until the ballsiest little bastards ever came at us with freaking wrenches and such. We got our first weapon lord in Gradbul.

And we killed a bunch of gnomes, as well as magicked up a physics defying artifact out of wood, made some blood bowl pitches near the barracks, started up Beirus' squad, and finished five more hovels and moved some orcs into them. We're slowly but surely going to get everyone housed, probably by years end if no more migrants come. Also looking to find a spot away from the residencies to build a molten hit and blacksmoke foundry.

Sorry about how slow the updates are, between sleeping a bit more, getting out some, and my finding an old Corrosion save and being in a zombie apocalypse mood, I sorta neglected it.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2014, 10:42:18 am »

How exactly is the journal physics breaking? Was it literaly made out of annauncement?
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2014, 10:54:19 am »

How exactly is the journal physics breaking? Was it literaly made out of annauncement?

Yup. it longer even technically exists. It went "Poof" after creation.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2014, 11:45:16 am »

To those about to be slaughtered by creatures four times you size with better training and real weapons, I salute you!

I cannot help but feel that the world has somewhat less in it after the last siege.

While their results were clearly lacking, no one can doubt the bravery that the little buggers showed when facing their doom (IE. Us). May the gods accept their souls as the worthy offers that they truly were in the end.

Truthfully I cannot help but feel that in another life, I would have been honored to have fought by the sides of such brave souls (Hopefully after kicking their asses to undergo training and getting proper equipment); But alas the world is a harsh place. May their remaining kin honor their memory by learning how to make real weapons and learning how to use them next time!
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2014, 11:54:58 am »

So, our resident badass infantile olog with outstanding mace-wielding skills now has an undoubtly crafty creepy alter-ego who made an eldritch horror journal?

I'd also like to note that two pieces made by community weren't mentioned. Sensuken's "The call of the majestic moose; Or 'Why you young bastards should listen to your Elders!" and one of Gradbuls journal entries. Both are on page 5.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2014, 11:57:46 am »

Damn, thought I got'em all.

And different Gradbul. It's a somewhat uncommon name among Orcs from the looks of things, or at least these orcs. A physician of the same first name made the journal.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2014, 12:03:48 pm »

Gradbul means, "Profane," for what it's worth btw.  You see it fairly often as part of Fortress or location names.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2014, 12:12:21 pm »

And different Gradbul. It's a somewhat uncommon name among Orcs from the looks of things, or at least these orcs. A physician of the same first name made the journal.

I understood that, but it would be cool to write about that suturer as if he was a second personality of our fellow big guy. One day "Big Lug" Gradbul will face "Evil Genius" Gradbul, in a Fight Club fashion.

By the way, do orks use soap? Do they have a soap maker profession?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:27:42 pm by Monitor Lisard »

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »

Gonna have at the hermit mode challenge thing Meph set up, then gonna work on an update. And yes, they do use and have access to soap. But up until a failed mandate we haven't needed it (Morbai seriously fucked a poor farmworker up as his punishment for the failed mandate.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2014, 11:02:28 am »

“Didja hear? Someone had a baby this morning.”

“Oh yeah? Wot kinda baby?”

“Gradbul, eh, not that big guy in the warband, the one who made the funny book-”

“Ain't dey the same?”

“Fucked if I know. Anyway, Gradbul says it was a boy and a bit... Slow looking.”

“Ahhh... Bet he's an Olog den. Wanna go watch the games?”

“Sure, why not. Not like I've got anything better to do.”

-

Times were good for Blackhold. A baby olog graced two proud parents of the large (if dim looking,) orcling. The birth was well timed, as the bloodbowl began, with many orcs watching and placing bets in orcish shillings. During the games, another child was born as well: Yet another snaga.

Gorlshk seemed quite pleased to have his physical might recognized when he was presented with a bloodsteel great axe. On the inverse, Gluuk was angry that his large gem mandate went ignored, and he ordered Morbai beat an orc to make an example. She did so with irritation and reluctance, and broke several bones in an unfortunate farmworker's body; the injuries prove severe enough to warrant stiches and being forced to remain at home to allow the injuries to heal. Afterward, she demanded a hospital be constructed to tend victims of dwarven custom contaminated “justice” and enemy ranged weapons, and soon after Senshuken is declared a Blademaster.

Giant badgers threaten the buildorcs, and Bolugd leads his force out to rectify this. Before long, Gradbul is upon the nearest giant badger, and for once is first to make a kill! The badger, in spite of its size, quickly finds its skull pounded into mush, and a second struck down by a single powerful swing of his shale maul. The hunt continues, well into the early evening, with all but one giant badger slain and their crushed and sliced bodies taken to the butchers.

Another masterwork is inexplicably lost and Ashduuk the bone carver tantrums, tearing up the west bloodbowl pitch, and then uses one of the boundary bricks for it as an impromptu tomahawk and hurls it at Gluuk, the one orc who was on hand to calm her shattering his foot. Mere days later, she goes mad with sadness, all over some lost masterpieces that nobody even knows what happened to.

Soon after, the goblins came, their troll-drawn wagons settling into the depot in short order, and soon relieved of all the spare food, metal, and shiny things it had. Not long after, the hospital was officially opened, with water filling a small tank!

A little too much. A door had to be removed to let the excess flow out. And shortly after, as expected, the melancholic bone carver succumbed to thirst. A child goes missing some weeks later, presumed to be the dead craftsorc's own. As none know where the body is (and cannot find it by stench as she was not indoors,) it is resolved to simply mark a coffin for burial, and wait for a ghost to appear; that will lead them to the body. The warband then sets out, seeking to kill a trio of Sasquatches before they can cause mischief to the drydocks. They are successful, with all three of the Orange Plagues getting a kill.

A week later in mid-copper, the baby is found dead of the same cause that claimed its mother: Dehydration.

As construction of still more hovels commences and the second drydock is complete, Lugbok comes barging into the main hall shouting in alarm:

The humans had come, or at least a band of mercenaries out for blood had. Among them was unmistakably an engineer (likely having expected a large fortress, not a barely built wood temple surrounded by stone huts,) and a knight. These would be a true challenge for the orcs' warband, and loath though he was to admit it, Bolugd was certain they would not survive, until he saw the enemy at a distance.

“What is it?” Senshuken asked him, his knuckles having gone white, such was his grip on his sword.

“Look closely. They don't shine like the warriors of well-established human countries and city-states.” The Warchief said, handing a crude telescope to his fellow Uruk. Sure enough, while their weapons gleamed in the late-morning sun, their armor (save that of their heads, 'commoner's crowns' meant for use by common rabble some poorer nations fielded,) did not reflect the light as expected. Their leader, a woman atop an unarmored but still abnormally large horse, had a banner strapped  to her back.

The banner was a light blue, and depicted the head of an enraged bear. Encircling it was the terrified head of every major race in the region; clearly intended to mean that they would face any and all, and their foes should fear them.

Senshuken handed back the telescope and shrugged. “I'll get the others. Should I grab Beirus too?”

“No,” Bolugd said with a shake of his head. “He doesn't have the equipment for a fight yet.”

“Alright then. I'll wake Gradbul, and tell the clan to be on their guard. This should be fun.”

Bolugd said nothing, keeping his eyes squarely on the camp.

URPDAAAAAYTE! Alright, so, we end this update on a note that two orcs died, masterworks are going missing somehow (I'm assuming decaying, since they're made of bone,) humans attacking us with thankfully very light armor, and more construction getting done. Also it seems some workers are spending far too much time in their underground domiciles or working below ground, as vomit is a common sight in the main hall and on both bloodbowl fields.

Guul's going to be laid up for a while, as is another orc (one who broke her arm months ago in-game,) due to multiple busted bones in a foot and arm respectively, the hospital is built (only got flooded a little even!) And in general, things are moving along nicely.

Also, a casualty list has been added on an older post, linked to the orc list (also up to date,) and the community section is also now fully up to date (I hope.)

Enjoy guys, and stay tuned as next time we fight humans!

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »

Birth of the Dragon.

I am Senshuken, Orcish Blademaster and defender of Thashumghoshakh. Over one hundred years ago, our people lost many things after losing war after war. We lost our lands. We lost our homes. We lost our kin. But I can see clearly now that there was one thing that our ancestors forsook willingly as the old holds were brought down low. They forsook Faith. Driven into the worst parts of the world to salvage what living could be had while fending off the bloodthirsty beasts and cowardly creatures that call such places home in a twisted act of mercy, our ancestors cast aside the ability to believe in anything greater than the steel in their hand. Without Faith; Without the ability to believe in anything greater than ones self, our people forgot what it meant to have Honor. Forgot what it meant to be Just.

We have the potential as a people to be far greater than what we believe ourselves to be. Our people have always processed power, but now is the time that we must take that raw power and refine it, smelt it down and reforge it into something greater... something stronger than the sum of its parts. I hereby declare that I will train other orcish blademasters in both body and mind so that they may follow the path of the Dragon. To believe in a greater future of our people and grant them the strength and skill to make it real!

Even as I write these words, I hear the alarms crying out. Our enemies come to besiege our gates once more.

I am the honor of the orcish people and nothing more.

They are nothing at all. 
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2014, 03:21:54 am »

"From the diary of Gradbul, the Snake Eater:

Hello, deer diary! Much has happend since muh last entry. Bloodbowl pitches were build, and now many orks take part in the games. I play sometimes as well. They tell I'm too slow to be a forward, so I usuly stay near the goals. Also, a baby olog was born... Havent seen his daddy tho'. His name's Gradbul too, by ze way. Muh namesake, I giss."

"Gradbul, hurry up NOW! We need you at the front!"

"...Ugh, whut happend, sir? Been dosin' here for quite a bit..."

"Human mercs coming in from the east, spearmen mostly. A real challenge for us."

"Oh, that's great! Let me just grab the war totem and my ol' clubby-club!"

"Be careful, kid... May the faith be with you."

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2014, 07:23:13 pm »

Hmmm... I got a great axe? Is the part of the Cave Bear Berserker kit? I'll take it, but I had thought it was an either or. Or is this just a placeholder until that is ready?

Anyway, the next part of the story is up. I've adapted it again.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2014, 08:23:51 pm »

The warrior society kits take a bit of doing, because you need to create warbanners from scalps, like we should get from those Humans out there on the horizon.  Also means our haulers, butchers and tanners will have to work pretty fast in the aftermath of the battle.

Foreign society kits like the Cavebear are even a bit harder, since we will need to get a hold of a chapter codex (from raiding dwarves) and the battle picks themselves (from raiding dwarves, or imported from the Arms Bazaar which itself requires a human captive). 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2014, 09:08:18 pm »

Hmmm... I got a great axe? Is the part of the Cave Bear Berserker kit? I'll take it, but I had thought it was an either or. Or is this just a placeholder until that is ready?

Toothed axe and battlepick. Great Axe is to tide you over. Much choppier than the one you were using.

The warrior society kits take a bit of doing, because you need to create warbanners from scalps, like we should get from those Humans out there on the horizon.  Also means our haulers, butchers and tanners will have to work pretty fast in the aftermath of the battle.

Thankfully the dwarves provided two of the four standards we need for the meadhall to have somewhere to assemble the damned things. Hopefully the humans will provide the other two.

May or may not work on an update tonight. Not quite sure yet, cause I'm in a warlock mood.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15