Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358699 times)

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #570 on: September 30, 2014, 04:15:19 am »

Jalak - you are correct, armies may be rampaging about the countryside but you are safe in your tower - though it may take you longer to complete it due to the horrible distraction of stomping boots at your doorstep.  Woe to them if you are preparing a spell that engulfs the POI in destruction.

Thanks!  Staff pick is apparently a big deal, we're not quite sure why but postmortems suggest it gets you significantly increased funds.

We just posted our update, it has another shorter video in it just to go over some concepts in brief.  We're hoping to gather up some questions from it and then release the next Dev Log style video later this week which will go over the concepts in detail.  Not sure if people enjoy hearing me talk on the Dev Logs or they'd rather get more teaser type videos.  Here I know you guys like the information, but in general the Dev Logs see very little viewership.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 30, 2014, 04:31:02 am »

Release both just to be sure?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 30, 2014, 04:33:34 am »

Remind me which Agents you can hire right from the start? And what they do?

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 30, 2014, 05:42:57 am »

I, for one, enjoy listening to smaller games developers talk about their game. There tends to be more genuine comment and perspective on their game; I enjoy listening to people talking about their own work with less alienation.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 30, 2014, 06:47:11 am »

I, for one, enjoy listening to smaller games developers talk about their game. There tends to be more genuine comment and perspective on their game; I enjoy listening to people talking about their own work with less alienation.

Hahahaha, you foolish people! Do you really believe that a true worshipper of the Dark would maintain any promise? The true worshipper doesn't develop a game where you can praise and utilize the Deceiving Arts, but tricks everyone into think he will do it, and then they disappear in the shadows, never to be seen again. What is more ironic that to mislead those who think they can mislead the others?

It's over guys, and too late to react. The Trap has already been activated and we shall admit our defeat.

(Just joking.)

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 30, 2014, 07:12:24 am »

I suppose that is possible. I imagine that a way to disprove your heathen thoughts would be...oh, I don't know...a demonstration of some sort coming out in the next week or so? Anything could happen.

On the subject of movement; do the heroes and non-controlled armies already have their movement predetermined at the start of the turn, so having sufficient infiltration could tell you where they are going and let you react to them?
Also, when it comes to when battles and the like happen during a turn, do you move an army/agent into a POI with an enemy and the battle occurs immediately (assuming the army/hero knows you're there and has a reason to fight), or do you need to wait until the start of the next turn before the battles actually begin?

...Holy crap, I just realized that demo = demonstration. Gah, I can't believe it took me this long to figure that out!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:15:43 am by Jalak »

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 30, 2014, 07:17:35 am »

Ditto. It is definitely a matter of different parts of the audience wanting different things, but I enjoy a deep look at what is going on.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 30, 2014, 09:17:22 am »

Remind me which Agents you can hire right from the start? And what they do?

The four starting agents are the Prophet, the Rake, the Hermit and the Peddler. At this point we've seen the Peddler and Prophet in action and heard some things about the rake. What the Hermit does is unknown as far as I know. Here's the short overview:
The Prophet: Your starting agent. Grows in power as you grow in power. His special Scheme depends on the Old One and on scenario choices. Is best in Command stuff if I remember but is probably good in Arcane stuff as well. High Profile because he can't stop talking about how awesome you are.
The Rake is the roguish/espionage Agent. Who's best at agitating and infiltrating. We've seen him becoming high priest of a religion.
The Peddler is a low profile agent who can sell stuff to heroes and is good at not being found out. We've seen him creating plagues.

Other known agents: the Guildmaster and Baron Greywind.

KDG, I have two questions: will it also be possible to create entirely new types of POI in the editor? Something like a pyramid or something, or is it only possible to use the types of POI in the base game? And the second is do your power markers recharge fully automatically or will they recharge only by stuff like sacrifices etc.?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #578 on: September 30, 2014, 11:27:33 am »

Release both just to be sure?

Yep we're releasing the Dev Log later in the week.

I suppose that is possible. I imagine that a way to disprove your heathen thoughts would be...oh, I don't know...a demonstration of some sort coming out in the next week or so? Anything could happen.

On the subject of movement; do the heroes and non-controlled armies already have their movement predetermined at the start of the turn, so having sufficient infiltration could tell you where they are going and let you react to them?
Also, when it comes to when battles and the like happen during a turn, do you move an army/agent into a POI with an enemy and the battle occurs immediately (assuming the army/hero knows you're there and has a reason to fight), or do you need to wait until the start of the next turn before the battles actually begin?

...Holy crap, I just realized that demo = demonstration. Gah, I can't believe it took me this long to figure that out!

You are correct, that infiltration will let you predict movement.  If you moved your army into another you will immediately have a battle, if your agent moved there and the hero is hunting you there would be at worst be a combat after you end your turn.

ON POIs - yep you specify a new type, the X and Y of the collider rectangle, the offset for where to place Agents/Heroes adjacent to it, then fill in the regular stats.  Once you've created it you can select it in the Build menu and just drag it to a new location, or if you select an existing POI you can change it tot his new type.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:11 am »

I myself found your DevLogs to be excellent. They are detailed and watching everything in action begets better comprehension, since it's hard to appreciate a feature that shows only up to ~5 second then fade away. Your commentary are also quite entertaining. I actually expected DevLog #4 Monday and DevLog #5 Wednesday so now I am sad...

Will it be possible to change Hero portrait mid-game? While new art work for the heroes are exciting, the old graphics had the benefit of there being unique artwork for every hero. While I understand their names can be changed, their appearance stands out first and much more easier to remember & recognize. I also incorporate role-play element into my playthrough sometimes and I would appreciate better customization option for that one random hero that managed to thwart the plan of my Agent. If this functionality turns out to be too minor or difficult to implement, I wonder if you could release the 'anime' hero files as separate add-on; I personally don't place too much value on the graphics so their glaring disparity would hurt my enjoyment little.

Edit: Also, could you give me information on how recovery of red orb spent during the turn works? Do they recharge automatically over time or require special action, and if so, is it different from the actions which allow the player to gain extra red orb?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:37:00 am by ventuswings »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 30, 2014, 11:38:56 am »

That video will not play for me in either Firefox or IE on the Kickstarter page. Has audio but is just showing a black screen. Have you linked it anywhere else? (I hate Kickstarter's video player. Works like shit half the time if it works at all.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:43:44 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Denim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 30, 2014, 11:42:37 am »

In the most recent video the prophet overthrew the mason guild and had an option to make himself the new leader. If he had done that and then proceeded to spend all his time in a faraway land excavating a ruin (with no contact with guildmembers), would his influence and power over that guild slowly decay? I mean, any leader who just ups and disappears can't expect to show up years later and have everyone instantly obeying him like nothing had happened.

Some kind of influence decay mechanic would give players an interesting dilemma whenever they have the chance to have an agent take on a title or position; is taking this position worth having my agent being partly tied down to this area or is it better to keep my agent free to be sent to where he is most needed?

Or maybe there can be a usurper mechanic where your agent's influence does not change but if your agent has been out of contact with his cabal/guild/position for too long then a lower ranking member will attempt to take his position and influence in one go. The amount of time you could be away safely could depend on your agent's leadership stat (with higher leadership allowing you to remain away for a longer time).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:19:47 pm by Denim »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 30, 2014, 12:56:07 pm »

In the most recent video the prophet overthrew the mason guild and had an option to make himself the new leader. If he had done that and then proceeded to spend all his time in a faraway land excavating a ruin (with no contact with guildmembers), would his influence and power over that guild slowly decay? I mean, any leader who just ups and disappears can't expect to show up years later and have everyone instantly obeying him like nothing had happened.

Some kind of influence decay mechanic would give players an interesting dilemma whenever they have the chance to have an agent take on a title or position; is taking this position worth having my agent being partly tied down to this area or is it better to keep my agent free to be sent to where he is most needed?

Or maybe there can be a usurper mechanic where your agent's influence does not change but if your agent has been out of contact with his cabal/guild/position for too long then a lower ranking member will attempt to take his position and influence in one go. The amount of time you could be away safely could depend on your agent's leadership stat (with higher leadership allowing you to remain away for a longer time).

I really like the idea of influence decay, and I feel it'd add a very interesting mechanic of having to choose between instant reward or flexibility. I imagine this would grow into an even more interesting balancing act as time goes on.

I can imagine it being combined with the second suggestion quite easily, with a mixture of the leadership stat decreasing decay, and usurpers only being able to take over after a certain level of decay.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 30, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »

I think the pace of donations is picking up again.. Oddly. Anything near the current ~1k/day and the stretch goals will be easy. I definitely want rival old ones.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 30, 2014, 01:30:48 pm »

Possibly, but not by much. Kicktraq provides daily data on pledge amounts, so it looks like staff pick might have given a slight bump, considering that there's still plenty of time left in the day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:32:58 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 210