Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357580 times)

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #615 on: October 02, 2014, 06:13:12 pm »

I know you're probably tired of hearing it, but what's our ETA on the demo?  Plx man plx.

No ETA yet - I know it's frustrating.  We're actually talking about making a quick build that is just the Death God with boosted power, something that is immediately engaging for the press to play. 
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 02, 2014, 07:35:09 pm »

Would he still be overpowered? I recall ya'll worrying about that?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #617 on: October 02, 2014, 07:38:09 pm »

Would he still be overpowered? I recall ya'll worrying about that?

Yeah, absurdly so - the idea is to just let the player get a feel for the power dynamics, unbalanced as they are it's pretty hard to "lose"

The main reason at this point is that we are overworked right now, so it would be pretty quick to just turn him back on, play to a midway point, lock in that point as a scenario and load that for it.
That Which Sleeps

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 02, 2014, 08:29:27 pm »

If you do have to go down that route, please make it clear that the demo uses the "very easy difficulty" God. While concern that press won't have enough time to learn nuances of the game are understandable, it is also going to be first real representation of the gameplay uninformed gamers will have - especially so since the demo is going to be public.

My concern is that Death God may be so powerful that the way game mechanic plays out (when and how to use these events) becomes different enough to become inaccurate representation of the actual game, such as failure to appeal the need to play stealthy or cautious.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:42:44 pm by ventuswings »

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #619 on: October 02, 2014, 09:18:41 pm »

If you do have to go down that route, please make it clear that the demo uses the "very easy difficulty" God. While concern that press won't have enough time to learn nuances of the game are understandable, it is also going to be first real representation of the gameplay uninformed gamers will have - especially so since the demo is going to be public.

My concern is that Death God may be so powerful that the way game mechanic plays out (when and how to use these events) becomes different enough to become inaccurate representation of the actual game, such as failure to appeal the need to play stealthy or cautious.

This is definitely a valid point, we've actually been advised by several people in the industry to not release a demo at all.  Conversation ongoing at this point - but our concern is given that we've gotten almost nothing done on the demo at this point even if we optimistically get to it the start of next week we had estimated two weeks to get it polished with the recent tester results which puts us after KS ends and also means I would be able to produce absolutely no more updates.

Complications and annoyances - but at least KS has gone well, which is what led to the lack of development time. 
That Which Sleeps

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 02, 2014, 10:58:08 pm »

Almost to Rival Old Ones!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 03, 2014, 05:12:47 am »

I totally understand the incentives to not release the demo during the kickstarter. While a good demo would be a strong boost to the kickstarter a poor one would damage it. That said, if you wish to release a demo to the press I would advise agaisnt using the undead old one, you removed it from the game as you felt it was unrepresentative of the game experience you wish to produce, supplying it to the press with it would naturally give them a false impression of the quality of the game.

That said I am in favour of a one old one demo, possibly one that has already played through. (it depends, does starting on a scenario that has already been played through require the player to know more or less information than just starting one yourself? I suspect that a scenario that hasn't been altered will at least give the player all the information they need over time, while a scenario half played may have vital information about past actions permanently hidden from the player) If you cannot display a demo that isn't representative of the game you want to make, I'm sad to say the best option is to forego it for now. However, polish may not be that big an issue I'm not sure about the opinion of lets players, but I suspect most people who would back a kickstarter (or up their pledge) aren't looking for a smooth game from a demo this early on, they want to experience what they can do and how to do it, and gauge whether the experience might be fun.

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 03, 2014, 06:01:31 am »

While a good demo would be a strong boost to the kickstarter a poor one would damage it.

Yeah, demos are double edge swords, and the effort to make one could well be too high for the possible benefits. I think that a simple Let's play and more contests like the current one could suffice and give you the time you need to manage the marketing.

With that in mind, why not a demo for the bakers later on, after the KK? So that people has a way to entertain themselves until the beta or the release.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 03, 2014, 04:23:46 pm »

32K already. Endless simulation seems probable now.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 03, 2014, 04:35:19 pm »

Yeah, it's kinda broken my expectations at this point. I thought it'd have cooled off a grand or two before this. Happy to be wrong!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 03, 2014, 06:57:26 pm »

Are you planning to get the demo out before the KS shuts down?  If not, will you keep taking paypal latecomers through the site?
After the Confederate Express debacle I've absolutely sworn not to jump in to a KS without a public prototype.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #626 on: October 03, 2014, 08:19:55 pm »

Are you planning to get the demo out before the KS shuts down?  If not, will you keep taking paypal latecomers through the site?
After the Confederate Express debacle I've absolutely sworn not to jump in to a KS without a public prototype.

I don't blame you - those guys were some pretty polished scammers.  Not even just the scams but also some well-intentioned but incompetent teams that just show no progress after years, we backed some games back in 2012 that post one update a year showing screenshots you could make in a weekend.  We've tried to show off tons of Gameplay to build public trust but the demo issue has been a constant concern re: development time.  Kickstarter has gone great, lots of industry people have been in touch with us, and we haven't been able to circle back to it.   I cannot say with certainty that it will be out before the close of KS, and every day that I can't say it than it becomes more likely that it won't.

We'll definitely keep paypal open for pre-orders up at least until all the Beta Testers are full engaged in the process.   
That Which Sleeps

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 03, 2014, 08:31:22 pm »

Well, in your case its more about not immediately breaking an oath than about lack of trust.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #628 on: October 03, 2014, 08:33:50 pm »

Well, in your case its more about not immediately breaking an oath than about lack of trust.

Having often been in the same situation I respect that.
That Which Sleeps

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 04, 2014, 02:28:58 am »

So how's the Steam Greenlight looking, then? What are your plans for the early access there, if you're planning on going on that route at all?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 210