Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358654 times)

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #690 on: October 07, 2014, 07:22:18 am »

Cool dev log. After reading it, I have a bunch more questions.

Can you switch Old Ones during play? While Azlan failed to subsume the world, the chaos he caused gave the orc tribes room to grow and mingle. Now you, as Whatshisface, manifest to lead them to conquest.

Will Agents respawn? Azlan gets his peddler killed. Does he get another in a later rising. They are archetypes, after all. What about long lived ones like the Baron who might remember you? Could they continue after your fall as Lesser Evils?

Any chance of Agent and government types dependent on things that happened back in the history? For instance, the only way you get a Necromantic Republic is a large amount of prior research on thinking unlife.

How will the game handle city build up? The impression I have from glimpses at the scenario video is the cities start with a few building and guilds and add more over the game. Was that because Adventura was a relatively young city?

How are you thinking of handling an Old One victory? I think a Sim City emergency menu would complement the scenario creation choices.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #691 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:16 am »

So we can still win by killing everyone and ending the world, right? (Kind of a core game concept).

Haha, yes - even if you were to enable all of the Endless Simulation modes the game would still have to end at that point. 

So if you used your own map, how does the game recognize where to put the POI's and what type to have them be, or is it not possible to use crafted maps with procedural generation?
I keep thinking of a sort of colour-coded editor mode for the map before the procedural part begins, where you're essentially given a paint brush that has different colours on it that link it to different terrain types, so painting an area, say, brown would make POIs spawned there made into dessert-type biomes. Obviously the colours would be hidden from view when playing the actual game.

If you use your own map you would not be able to use procedural generation, because of the issue you're pointing out (impossible to figure out where to put POIs).   We could create a hybrid version where you establish POIs and terrain data but that's probably not worth the effort.

Yeah that's actually not too far from how it works, though we don't paint it with terrain it's kind've the idea in the background - we're going to show off the POC and you'll see how we're approaching it.

Can you switch Old Ones during play? While Azlan failed to subsume the world, the chaos he caused gave the orc tribes room to grow and mingle. Now you, as Whatshisface, manifest to lead them to conquest.

Will Agents respawn? Azlan gets his peddler killed. Does he get another in a later rising. They are archetypes, after all. What about long lived ones like the Baron who might remember you? Could they continue after your fall as Lesser Evils?

Any chance of Agent and government types dependent on things that happened back in the history? For instance, the only way you get a Necromantic Republic is a large amount of prior research on thinking unlife.

How will the game handle city build up? The impression I have from glimpses at the scenario video is the cities start with a few building and guilds and add more over the game. Was that because Adventura was a relatively young city?

How are you thinking of handling an Old One victory? I think a Sim City emergency menu would complement the scenario creation choices.

We're looking at swapping Old Ones mid-game, but can't promise it at this point.

Agents never respawn except for very rare, and special, circumstances (and they will not be quite the same).   Each agent is an important tactical piece and losing one is very impactful.

As far as agents and government dependent on history there is an element of that, but it would be stronger in procedural generation.

We actually don't have as much build up in Cities, the world being relatively static - you are correct that Aventura is a much smaller/younger city than the more developed capitals of other countries.  Buildings fluctuate much more with a planned game mode from Endless SImulation.

What do you mean by Sim City emergency menu?
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 07, 2014, 07:55:39 am »

Agents never respawn except for very rare, and special, circumstances (and they will not be quite the same).   Each agent is an important tactical piece and losing one is very impactful.

I'm asking in the context of endless play and multiple attempts to take over the world. The last peddler was over 200 years back. He would be naturally dead by now. This also means that each attempt to play would have an increasingly small supporting cast.

I looked it up and, properly, it's called the Disaster Menu. You get a list of disasters, choose one, and it happens. Flood, fire, godzillas. For TWS, force a successful overthrow and sealing by a Sage, Hero, King, or Rival. Iterate a few hundred years. Then resume play in Endless mode. It is one answer to Old One victory as the end of history.

Edited to say I was talking about respawns for endless play.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:07:18 am by rylen »

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 07, 2014, 08:19:14 am »

I looked it up and, properly, it's called the Disaster Menu. You get a list of disasters, choose one, and it happens. Flood, fire, godzillas. For TWS, force a successful overthrow and sealing by a Sage, Hero, King, or Rival. Iterate a few hundred years. Then resume play in Endless mode. It is one answer to Old One victory as the end of history.

That could be a very interesting "survival" tactic: conduct a ritual to purposely seal yourself back up for a vague amount of time in the event of the world becoming aware of your return too early or are just plain too difficult to beat. Then, after a vague amount of time, when your name has once again passed into legend, rise up and try again. You could even have it that each time you cast the spell, the sages of the world have a stronger chance to recognize this sudden "defeat" of you for what it is and try to disrupt it, possibly resulting in you sleeping for a lot longer/shorter then you would want, or your powers being messed with.

On the subject of that: are there any plans for some sort of "dynamic" magic system where the old one your playing as can gain and lose certain abilities over time due to various "prophesies" and the like? Hell, if you can, I would like a game mode where the longer the history of the world continues on (in endless mode, of course) magic starts getting weaker over time before fading, limiting your own powers or forcing you to try and bring it back.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:23:23 am by Jalak »

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #694 on: October 07, 2014, 09:03:05 am »

I'm asking in the context of endless play and multiple attempts to take over the world. The last peddler was over 200 years back. He would be naturally dead by now. This also means that each attempt to play would have an increasingly small supporting cast.

Edited to say I was talking about respawns for endless play.

Ahh I see - it's a good question, we really won't know until we get the Beta testers playing Endless Mode - it may be that we need to add that ability for Agents to return though I am initially wary of the idea.

As for being sealed away and returning over time, we'd support something similar if Procedural makes it (and then only for Procedural maps). 

That could be a very interesting "survival" tactic: conduct a ritual to purposely seal yourself back up for a vague amount of time in the event of the world becoming aware of your return too early or are just plain too difficult to beat. Then, after a vague amount of time, when your name has once again passed into legend, rise up and try again. You could even have it that each time you cast the spell, the sages of the world have a stronger chance to recognize this sudden "defeat" of you for what it is and try to disrupt it, possibly resulting in you sleeping for a lot longer/shorter then you would want, or your powers being messed with.

On the subject of that: are there any plans for some sort of "dynamic" magic system where the old one your playing as can gain and lose certain abilities over time due to various "prophesies" and the like? Hell, if you can, I would like a game mode where the longer the history of the world continues on (in endless mode, of course) magic starts getting weaker over time before fading, limiting your own powers or forcing you to try and bring it back.

We do have some dynamic elements that can be gained and lost, but not too much - however in Procedural depending on when you waken the level of power in the world will be greatly different, and this includes magic.   As far as forcing you to bring it back, this sounds like a rather in-depth campaign/event combination that would be pretty interesting.
That Which Sleeps

Capsicum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 07, 2014, 11:59:07 am »

We don't really have a solid commitment to expansion plans - what we have is a commitment that the game on release will be feature complete, fully moddable, and have enough hand-crafted scenarios to provide a ton of content.  That being said, I can't imagine a scenario where we aren't at the very least adding in new agents, abilities, and classes - though I expect modders to be racing us down that road.

Fine, take my money, as if I really had the willpower to resist a Lovecraftian strategy game. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward looks promising as well. My wallet needs a vacation.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 07, 2014, 01:37:48 pm »

So... question on moddability, what with rival old ones and what-not. 
Theoretically, I'd be able to mod in something along the lines of deities/old ones that would only 'care' for a certain race/their own followers and their relations can range from genocidal to 'leave me alone and I'll leave you alone'.  (The fact that their strength can be based on faith is a big plus...)

>.>  Just a little world that I play around with in my head every now and then... the mechanics of this game and its moddability may be awesome enough to make something of it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #697 on: October 07, 2014, 01:49:40 pm »

So... question on moddability, what with rival old ones and what-not. 
Theoretically, I'd be able to mod in something along the lines of deities/old ones that would only 'care' for a certain race/their own followers and their relations can range from genocidal to 'leave me alone and I'll leave you alone'.  (The fact that their strength can be based on faith is a big plus...)

>.>  Just a little world that I play around with in my head every now and then... the mechanics of this game and its moddability may be awesome enough to make something of it.

Yes - a cornerstone of our design is easy defined and predictable AI, which can then be tempered by other factors.  Create an Old One or a God that overwhelmingly wants to protect a certain race and they will let the world collapse into darkness as long as you leave their precious chosen people alone.  Granted, we do have a mechanic where Leader Heroes will try to come convince isolationist powers to join against your power - but if they're going to be making a pitch directly to a God it's a grand endeavor and one you will probably become aware of.

On the other hand you can make an Old One that is, as you put it, genocidal.  It loves its people and looks down on all others , this is where the personality traits will help define if the path to putting its people on top of the world is one of slow maneuvering and cunning or a more mindless wave of violence.
That Which Sleeps

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 07, 2014, 09:13:12 pm »

With the minions that your agents can have, do some of them have some sort of passive bonus they bring if there is another army in the area doing its own thing? Like, say, your agent has some giants with him and an army of yours clashes with another in the same POI, can you use those giants to provide "shock" damage or whatever at the risk of getting them killed? I'd imagine they would be hard to miss in a middle of a war-zone.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 07, 2014, 10:06:42 pm »

I'm agenting all over the place.  If I had a million bucks...

You mentioned duelist agents so this might already exist in some form.  The Champion (or something) is a mysterious warrior who specializes in luring people into single combat and fucking them up.  Abilities are combat stuff based around forcing heroes to fight one on one to the death and killing them in said manfights.

Scheme is Vendetta, sends a hero a challenge he can't refuse.  He gets a compulsion to seek out the Champion and duel him, slowly losing will (and falling prey to some kind of insanity/corruption if it gets too low, permanent berserk rage maybe?) the longer he goes without fighting him.  Probably would need some kind of lesser but equivalent effect on the Champion so you don't just keep running away until the guy goes crazy.

Set him up in some high-danger dungeon or something and send the call to some hero, watch him abandon his mission to go on some suicidal cross-country journey to duel a guy who will almost certainly kill him.
Shoes...

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 07, 2014, 11:41:46 pm »

You could also add the risk that you might end up drawing that targets party and maybe personal friends (if any) along with them. How many works of fiction are there that the hero is sent a personal challenge that doesn't end up with their friends secretly following, regardless of the challenge issued?

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 08, 2014, 12:22:40 am »

I would imagine he couldn't just sit in a high danger dungeon and 'force' a hero to come to him. It should maybe rather involve him targeting the hero's friends and family who can't defend themselves to make the guy come to him. Slight difference, but now you couldn't just do it anywhere. Or maybe you could, but the effect is lessened if the Champion has to send out minions to do the dirty work instead of doing it himself, which would require being at the correct POI.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 08, 2014, 12:31:42 am »

So basically an agent kidnaps a family member of a hero, who transforms into Liam Neeson and hunts the agent down?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 08, 2014, 04:01:32 am »

Congrats on yet another stretch goal, though it didn't seem that surprising at this point. I think that, unless potential investors get some sort of additional incentive (demo), we're going to be really hard pressed for the next stretch goal.

How's the next video going to come along?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 08, 2014, 05:02:52 am »

Endless Simulation achieved!

Someone backed 300$ more.

i really hope this reaches 53k.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 210