Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357592 times)

Romanul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #855 on: October 17, 2014, 11:00:38 am »

@KingDinosaurGames:

Did you post a video somewhere? I'm asking because the funding has been slowing down a bit. (joke)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:21 am »

Oh, I like that. A Faustian Pact Old One would be cool - the mortals would corrupt themselves in their greed and lust for power without you having to do much. Most likely they wouldn't quite know what they were dealing with - and of course, should you grant too much power, they might become too mighty to control and turn against you.

It could also be an addiction; even the purest Hero gradually succumbing because they need the taste of your dark magic. This could tie into low willpower, more desperate heroes being more likely to take another look.

Except that thanks to the stretch goals, the devil has to sell at competitive prices. Cant let the Jones's do all the corrupting!

On that note, do you plan to have NPC's play you off against their enemies?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 17, 2014, 12:30:12 pm »

Okay I can't find a way to link comments on IDB, but you said it on the That Which Sleeps summary page in response to Guest-me; 

Quote from: KingDinosaurGames
"The custom Prophet element is handled solely through events, unfortunate there is no custom component specifically for Old One/Chosen One interactions."
It sounded like "The GOO-specific Scheme is done through an event at gamestart", a cludge I've tried using for CK2 before.  Like, I'm not super concerned about ease of use for modding, since I'm not a modder and just want to make a bunch of themed GOOs, but I was vaguely curious.

Ah, that was a typo - the first "Prophet" should also be "The Chosen One".  I believe they were asking about the special interactions we had mentioned that a certain Old One (Sisyphus) has with the Chosen One, and if that was a special "element" of the Old One's configuration - but it's actually configured in the events section with a simple IF statement.

No, that was me.  I was asking if the Prophet's Scheme for a particular GOO is someplace convenient in the GOO file or not.  Just an idle ease of use question I have no business asking right now.

So wait, we CAN make our own Chosen One/GOO interactions as well?  Cool!  I don't know that I would, but I like that we can!

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #858 on: October 17, 2014, 12:32:04 pm »

@KingDinosaurGames:

Did you post a video somewhere? I'm asking because the funding has been slowing down a bit. (joke)

<-- Wounded.  Still 1k today so far, we've only had two real slow days during the entire Campaign - of course we're INCREDIBLY HAPPY at how successful this has been but I wish I had expected it to be like this so I could have planned better.  I'm usually super aggressive about maintaining schedules both for what hours I work daily and for when I can expect to finish things but this last month has absolutely destroyed any attempt at order.  Can't wait to get back to a more normal routine.

EDIT: More seriously, one of those slow days is the one where we lost over $500 from the Mod Video.... SIGH - I'm very proud of our mod tools as well so it was very depressing.  We're working our asses off trying to update the Mod Tools to the Beta Assets now so that they have greater mass appeal but since there's over 100 windows it's taking some time.

Oh, I like that. A Faustian Pact Old One would be cool - the mortals would corrupt themselves in their greed and lust for power without you having to do much. Most likely they wouldn't quite know what they were dealing with - and of course, should you grant too much power, they might become too mighty to control and turn against you.

It could also be an addiction; even the purest Hero gradually succumbing because they need the taste of your dark magic. This could tie into low willpower, more desperate heroes being more likely to take another look.

Except that thanks to the stretch goals, the devil has to sell at competitive prices. Cant let the Jones's do all the corrupting!

On that note, do you plan to have NPC's play you off against their enemies?

The Lesser Evils and Those That Remained are the two powers that will be crossing this line most often - the regular heroes of the world and their leaders are more concerned with their earthly struggles. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:36:11 pm by KingDinosaurGames »
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #859 on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:14 pm »

Okay I can't find a way to link comments on IDB, but you said it on the That Which Sleeps summary page in response to Guest-me; 

Quote from: KingDinosaurGames
"The custom Prophet element is handled solely through events, unfortunate there is no custom component specifically for Old One/Chosen One interactions."
It sounded like "The GOO-specific Scheme is done through an event at gamestart", a cludge I've tried using for CK2 before.  Like, I'm not super concerned about ease of use for modding, since I'm not a modder and just want to make a bunch of themed GOOs, but I was vaguely curious.

Ah, that was a typo - the first "Prophet" should also be "The Chosen One".  I believe they were asking about the special interactions we had mentioned that a certain Old One (Sisyphus) has with the Chosen One, and if that was a special "element" of the Old One's configuration - but it's actually configured in the events section with a simple IF statement.

No, that was me.  I was asking if the Prophet's Scheme for a particular GOO is someplace convenient in the GOO file or not.  Just an idle ease of use question I have no business asking right now.

So wait, we CAN make our own Chosen One/GOO interactions as well?  Cool!  I don't know that I would, but I like that we can!

Ah ok so I misread the question AND made a typo in the response - good times!  The Prophet's Schemes are located in the Agent file, just a case conditional depending on which GOO is selected with a Default if it's something he isn't programmed for. 

Oh yes, Chosen One and Old Ones are pretty simple to setup and can be a lot of fun - though I like the thematics of it even more than the functionality that emerges from it.
That Which Sleeps

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 17, 2014, 12:40:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's going to make using two people's GOO mods more annoying, since, at least in what little I've really looked at (Like CK2), two people altering the same file generally means that they either work together to make something that works with them both, or more likely, they stay totes incompatible.

Still, p. excited.   Will have to poke at the beta whenever that is to see if there's any major problems I can find~

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 17, 2014, 12:42:34 pm »

I had a feeling that if early access was 15 buck, and more clearmarked, these stretch goals would have finished.

Anyway, congratulate on the successful campaign and hoping we can see next devlog video soon, better if a let's play series.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 18, 2014, 02:12:53 pm »

And thus, we have a new Race! Now, the question is, what can we do with the last 3 days?

As for what I have see so far, I also prefer Minotaur. I like the lore surrounding them the most, but as the potential that they might unwittingly know how to defeat you, even if they don't know who you are, via ANCIENT ORAL TRADITION.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #863 on: October 18, 2014, 02:23:44 pm »

And thus, we have a new Race! Now, the question is, what can we do with the last 3 days?

As for what I have see so far, I also prefer Minotaur. I like the lore surrounding them the most, but as the potential that they might unwittingly know how to defeat you, even if they don't know who you are, via ANCIENT ORAL TRADITION.

One of the reasons we cut Minotaurs from the original design plan is that it seems to ALWAYS MAKE SENSE to crush them right away.  They are an exotic culture with a foreign race so no one cares about them, and they threaten to give yet another type of Lore bonus to the civilized world if they are brought into the fold.   Still, it was a somewhat painful loss because we had a whole system designed around their unique lore and multiple interactions with slaver states and magocracies/mage guilds.

We put them back in as part of the stretch goal because a) Tribal Humans needed another interesting party to make their areas more diversified and b) with rival old ones they now can become an early point of "cold war" contention between the old ones, since they would make powerful tools to use against other dark gods.
That Which Sleeps

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 18, 2014, 02:26:25 pm »

We've also got three 1k backers and a 3k backer.  Four new agents!
Shoes...

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 18, 2014, 02:55:58 pm »

Minotaur "cold war" sounds very exciting. I really hope AI for other Old Ones turn out to be excellent!

Congratulations on reaching the second of additional stretch goals, looks like >$68000 is looking more and more viable. I can't wait to see the update about possible villainous upstarts. Also, do you plan to throw in additional stretch goal thereafter that would allow inclusion of all 3 proposed races instead of only one? (proposed Agents have the same problem but at least $1000 tier kickstarters can do something for them unlike the races)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 18, 2014, 03:04:28 pm »

Yeah, I for one second an additional stretch goal, especially since if you put one there is pretty good odds that it will be reached.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #867 on: October 18, 2014, 03:27:27 pm »

Yeah, I for one second an additional stretch goal, especially since if you put one there is pretty good odds that it will be reached.

We will probably put something up, debate ongoing right now if we just want to say "every X we have another vote on Agent/Race" - we still have another 7 Agents who were rejected for various reasons sitting in a design document.  The only other thing we were considering was add a VO tier because enough people inquired about it - we originally said no to VO because it's just too much time to do, not even the cost, but we could simply put it at enough to hire a firm to do it for us. 

Thoughts?  More agents is always nice due to diversifying your strategies, but there's enough now that you can play several games and play with entirely different agents (besides the starting 4).
That Which Sleeps

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 18, 2014, 03:37:49 pm »

I'm going to cast a vote for the VO. While more agent/more content is always appreciated, it can be done via modding. Whereas i have very little faith someone will mod in VO and i think its a nice touch to have.

Or, you could do a bit of both worlds do for example:
-Set a stretch goal at 10K more (this is a random value, basically what the VO would cost)
-Say it is for X amount of new content OR agent VO
-Let people vote at the end if the goal is met
-If not they get whatever new content the money can bring (ie if VO is 10K and you get 5K, maybe a new agent/race/old one)

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 18, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »

If it's enough that you can just outsource it, yeah, VO for GOOs at the very least.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 210