Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358693 times)

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #945 on: October 21, 2014, 09:58:40 am »

We're throwing up a summary of them on the KS page today.  Though only The Laughing God begins with a cult, any Old One can send his agents out to infiltrate a cult, start a religion, etc.

The Death God is definitely in, he just needs some.... work.

I may be misunderstanding how abilities work, but don't they affect the world in general, in different ways for different things?  If not disregard, if so wouldn't cults be part of that for everyone, even if they don't have one at this time?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #946 on: October 21, 2014, 10:40:24 am »

We're throwing up a summary of them on the KS page today.  Though only The Laughing God begins with a cult, any Old One can send his agents out to infiltrate a cult, start a religion, etc.

The Death God is definitely in, he just needs some.... work.

I may be misunderstanding how abilities work, but don't they affect the world in general, in different ways for different things?  If not disregard, if so wouldn't cults be part of that for everyone, even if they don't have one at this time?

I'm not sure I understand the question - Cults are formed as an extreme element of an existing Religion, they choose one of the God's Aspects and have abilities based around it.  They spread from POI to POI to further their agenda, which is based on the Aspect selected.  The world may begin with multiple cults, or it may begin with none depending on the scenario and settings - others may emerge through general gameplay OR by an Agent successfully starting a cult.

The Laughing God begins with a cult already in existence under his control, and has powers that augment the abilities and spread of that cult - other Old Ones may interact with cults via Agents but are limited to the standard abilities.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Romanul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:38 am »

Could you post just one more update explaining (giving more info about) the last goal? When you did same with the dragon race people got interested. Maybe it will help reach the last goal.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #948 on: October 21, 2014, 01:55:57 pm »

Could you post just one more update explaining (giving more info about) the last goal? When you did same with the dragon race people got interested. Maybe it will help reach the last goal.

We have absolutely no assets for the last two goals considering they are the stretchiest of the stretchy, so at best we would be posting some re-used art with blocks of text.  We are thinking about it, but right now we are still receiving a lot of money from new backers and we like having the Cartography update be the first thing they see since it speaks to the game's potential and is attractive at a glance.    One of the main reasons people did not pledge originally is because they didn't like the map, and alleviating that concern has seemed to be highly rewarding. 
That Which Sleeps

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 21, 2014, 02:01:28 pm »

We might reach it still. 78300 and counting.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 21, 2014, 02:19:59 pm »

Well to admit Human cultures and the Ascended seem like unnecessary additions (well... as written) so I am not too invested in it being hit.

Not that I cannot see them being great additions, it just isn't how they are written.

Edit: I think I'll leave this like this >_< given that I am technically criticizing the people who are making this... right to their face... on a board I wish to be welcome to.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:23:51 pm by Neonivek »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 21, 2014, 02:25:57 pm »

Fortunately, I recall them saying at some point that all the add-ins are choosable if you want to enable them or not, I think.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 21, 2014, 02:27:07 pm »

Fortunately, I recall them saying at some point that all the add-ins are choosable if you want to enable them or not, I think.

Well... it isn't the "the game is worse" kind of stretch goals. More of a "meh" then anything else.

Besides why would you want to turn it off anyhow? It is an outright improvement just not a "HOLY COW! Lets raise that cash!" improvement.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:31:23 pm by Neonivek »

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #953 on: October 21, 2014, 03:46:45 pm »

Well to admit Human cultures and the Ascended seem like unnecessary additions (well... as written) so I am not too invested in it being hit.

Not that I cannot see them being great additions, it just isn't how they are written.

Edit: I think I'll leave this like this >_< given that I am technically criticizing the people who are making this... right to their face... on a board I wish to be welcome to.

haha, no not at all a criticism - these stretch goals are designed to enhanced the game for a certain portion of our players so it is understandable that others would have no interest - in addition since the game has yet to be played by the majority of the backers it is hard to see exactly what foreign cultures would be a unique, and valued addition. 

The Ascended is for the "hardcore" player who wants an extended challenge to the game, and greater continuity throughout their play throughs.  The cultures, while adding diversity to any player, will really help people wanting to work on specific historic or mythological scenarios.  We had worked on a Roman and Japanese system prior, so just imagining how the rich mythological additions would interact with our current systems makes it very appealing to us.  In addition, people had suggested numerous other historical time periods/cultures, and while I know people will be working to mod these in themselves its hard to beat the quality of including it in the game at launch.
That Which Sleeps

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting! 21 hours!
« Reply #954 on: October 21, 2014, 03:49:56 pm »

I would say thats my biggest appeal for the cultures...modding resources. which I intend to take advantage of.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 21, 2014, 03:57:31 pm »

I had a question but I can't remember what it was now.  Maybe I'll remember it at s--oh!

Will the Rival Old Ones change the implementation of unique late game agents like Shadowmere and Baron Greywind?  I know you suggested both of them (or at least Greywind?) can be released without your intervention and begin acting independently.  Will their status change more towards the Lesser Evils you're adding or will they remain how they are?

On the same note, will it be possible to bind the new lesser evils to your will and turn them into agents the way heroes can become agents without being on the hardcoded agent list?
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #956 on: October 21, 2014, 04:05:25 pm »

I had a question but I can't remember what it was now.  Maybe I'll remember it at s--oh!

Will the Rival Old Ones change the implementation of unique late game agents like Shadowmere and Baron Greywind?  I know you suggested both of them (or at least Greywind?) can be released without your intervention and begin acting independently.  Will their status change more towards the Lesser Evils you're adding or will they remain how they are?

On the same note, will it be possible to bind the new lesser evils to your will and turn them into agents the way heroes can become agents without being on the hardcoded agent list?

The addition of Rival Old Ones makes your actions even more pressing, because not only are you battling against heroes and the rising knowledge of your return, but also now competing with your peers for the powerful Agents that can make or break your strategy.  However, they will retain their playstyle - but with additional independent possibilities related to the war over their influence.  They won't go down the path of the Lesser Evils where they pursue extremely complex agendas and play the Old Ones against one another.

ALL lesser evils are designed to be recruitable as agents - the question of whether or not you trust them is up to you.  Unlike the majority of Agents, Lesser Evils may flee your control or even betray you (unless controlled by some mechanism) if your interests clash with theirs. 
That Which Sleeps

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 21, 2014, 04:36:20 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the question - Cults are formed as an extreme element of an existing Religion, they choose one of the God's Aspects and have abilities based around it.  They spread from POI to POI to further their agenda, which is based on the Aspect selected.  The world may begin with multiple cults, or it may begin with none depending on the scenario and settings - others may emerge through general gameplay OR by an Agent successfully starting a cult.

The Laughing God begins with a cult already in existence under his control, and has powers that augment the abilities and spread of that cult - other Old Ones may interact with cults via Agents but are limited to the standard abilities.
Okay, I'm asking the wrong question to start with.  What do Abilities give you, the player?  I assume it's not just a way to spend Ancient Power, since then you wouldn't necessarily use them because THANKS HERO SHERLOCK.

Unrelated, do you and the Rival Old Ones share the same Chosen One?

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:26 pm »

Pardon the intrusion. Do you have any projections on when the recorded devlogs are going to be available? I thought it might be good time to bring it up again since we're nearing end of the Kickstarter.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #959 on: October 21, 2014, 05:15:44 pm »

Pardon the intrusion. Do you have any projections on when the recorded devlogs are going to be available? I thought it might be good time to bring it up again since we're nearing end of the Kickstarter.

Not really any projections, but it shouldn't be long after the end of KS - just need to get everyone up on the forums and they will be loaded up there.  I'll also be streaming development and testing once we get back down to it.

Okay, I'm asking the wrong question to start with.  What do Abilities give you, the player?  I assume it's not just a way to spend Ancient Power, since then you wouldn't necessarily use them because THANKS HERO SHERLOCK.

Unrelated, do you and the Rival Old Ones share the same Chosen One?

Abilities are split between Passive effects that change gameplay, Active abilities that are powerful but cost Ancient Power and generally produce clues, and Imbues to make your Agents more useful to you.

Yes, the Chosen One is fated to save the world - just with Rival Old Ones in play his job gets a lot harder (though he will be getting significant bonuses if he puts down an Old One, so be careful of giving him free reign.)
That Which Sleeps
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 210