Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 46278 times)

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.09 Succession Game)
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2014, 11:33:00 pm »

Well since Meme is apparently here, we can probably arrange for him to go right after Askarn. I honestly dont mind. I can easily see how various people skipping their turn in a row can result in the like, third guy in line to not immediately answer.

That sounds reasonable to me.  I can see how he wouldn't have expected (exactly) 3 people to get skipped ahead of him.

Meme, I'll insert you back in the turn order right after Askarn, since you did eventually manage to report in.  In the future, though, I advise everybody in the rotation check the thread regularly in case something like this happens again.

Speaking of which, is anybody interested in the officer positions I posted?  I haven't received any messages stating interest yet.  They are all VERY important positions, and I am sure we could arrange special lodgings to be made for your Dwarrves (*if* they survive- perhaps their body could be moved to a special tomb as reward if they are already dead...  Personally, I don't mind being buried in a pauper's grave, however.)

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »

The mission before me is clear; I must prepare Pagetower for war. Though we possess some weapons, precious few know how to wield them. We must use the power of the mountain to forge armament on a scale not seen before. We must set aside pottery and learn the way of the axe and the crossbow. And we must find water, so our brave warriors need not fear death at mere scratches.

In order to better secure the fortress, my first order is to seal off the caverns. With no water to be found there, it is currently an unnecessary distraction. This done, I shall set about reorganising the militia and equiping them better.

Good instincts Askarn!  Personally, these are *exactly* the steps I would have taken in this situation.

Note that Speardwarves tend to be more effective than Axedwarves, though, as their slashing and piercing attacks *almost* always deal heavy damage, and their weapons can get stuck in targets and then be twisted to cause additional damage.  The ideal military for our current situation and available resources would be a small number of highly-trained and heavily-armored Speardwarves (think of them as a palace elite- most of which were historically equipped with spears, not swords; for when melee combat becomes inevitable), and a large number of Marksdwarves wearing nothing but helmets and breastplates... (who hide behind walls/fortifications)

Spears can be made out of *just one metal bar*, and are most effective at piercing armor when forged out of copper or bronze (copper is best at piercing iron, bronze at piercing copper/bronze), due to the density of these metals, although their slashing attacks are weaker when using these metals than when using iron.  Thus, due to our large abundance of Bismuth Bronze, spears are probably the best choice for our military, as a *Bismuth Bronze Spear* is still quite effective, but a *Bismuth Bronze Sword* is far less so...  Plus, the main enemies you need to prepare for are large, unarmored Forgotten Beasts/Megabeasts, and armored Goblins (against both of which spears are far more effective than axes/swords- large creatures laugh off slashing attacks, but can fall to piercing wounds; armor effectively blocks sword strikes, but not spears...)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Spear

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Metal

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon#Types_of_weapons

If you dig straight down far enough, you should be able to find water.  The embark showed the presence of a Aquifer, if you guys don't remember... (although a warning on Embark let us know it is a salt water aquifer)

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.  Also, since we have pretty much the most bad-ass spear possible for fighting unarmored opponents (an *ARTIFACT-QUALITY*, STEEL spear- Adamantite spears are actually fairly weak at piercing as the material is too light to pierce even some hides when used in a spear...), training our melee Dwarves in spear use will help ensure that we always have a Dwarf available to wield the artifact.  And since artifact-quality weapons get a 3x to-hit modifier (as opposed to 2x with Masterpiece-quality weapons), you can be sure that whoever wields it is going to strike home with the spear most of the time if he/she has sufficient skill, just so long as the target isn't wearing armor... (an artifact-quality Bronze Spear would have been better for piercing armor, due to its higher density)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:52:13 pm by Northstar1989 »

Askarn

• Bay Watcher
  • We must not allow a mineshaft gap
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2014, 06:53:18 am »

In the past I've always found aquifers to be near the surface and we've already dug down more than 100 levels. Still, I'll give it a go.

Regarding the militia, personally I've always gone with a mixture of weapons.

1st Limestone 255
Wacksonoff and two other dwarfs have passed away. The first two deaths were beyond the talents of even the most learned, but the third death was brought about by dehydration. It fills me with deep shame to see one of our own die in such a pointless manner.

Following the deaths, there are 63 adult dwarfs in Pagetower and a single baby. In the interest of history, I have recorded the names and professions of them below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With Wacksonoff's death I have reorganized the militia and instituted a new training regime. Additionally, a new archery range has been constructed for the Marksdwarfs to practice in; this has delayed the exploratory mining slightly, but that cannot be avoided. The forging of chain mail and helmets is proceeding apace, albeit with an unskilled workforce.

(Tomorrow's update will be more substantial)

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2014, 08:33:19 am »

In the past I've always found aquifers to be near the surface and we've already dug down more than 100 levels. Still, I'll give it a go.

I haven't seen the layout of our fortress in awhile. Could it be possible we already dug past the aquifer layer, but were just on the wrong side? I have also never encountered an aquifer that was so deep.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2014, 01:16:39 pm »

I haven't seen the layout of our fortress in awhile. Could it be possible we already dug past the aquifer layer, but were just on the wrong side? I have also never encountered an aquifer that was so deep.

Yes, it's entirely possible we've already dug through the aquifer layer, but not hit it.  Aquifers can only reside in certain stone types, meaning we could have dug through in a patch of stones incapable of supporting the Aquifer without realizing it...

The Wiki lists that Siltstone and Mudstone cannot maintain an Aquifer, for instance, although if I remember there are other stone layers that can't:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer

It might be helpful to dig out horizontally in some of the unexplored shallow layers; but if you do so, be sure to construct doors across the tunnels to prevent flooding of the rest of the fortress (I *highly* recommend using green glass for the doors, as it is 100% renewable)

Regards,
Northstar

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2014, 04:11:27 pm »

Could also be that our main shafts are located rather close to an active volcano. Maybe you should send some daring adventurers to test the grounds far away from the base...

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2014, 07:17:55 pm »

That doesn't make sense.  Why would you equip a portion of the military with inferior weapons against the opponents they are facing?

The best weapons for the foes that are likely to actually be *dangerous* (aside from rare inorganic foes, the most dangerous foes are larger ones and those with armor) are Piercing Weapons (Spears/Picks, but picks can only be trained through mining).

Let me lay out the best Weapon Types for a given type of foe (I'm going to ignore foreign weapons in each class when specifying examples since the main way to get high-quality specimens of them is through Strange Moods: those available from invaders or trade are usually low-quality)

Small/medium, unarmored foes:  Slashing Weapons (axes and swords) are best, Piercing Weapons (spears and pickaxes) less effective but useful

Large, unarmored foes:  Piercing Weapons (spears and pickaxes) are best, Slashing Weapons (axes and swords) are moderately ineffective

Armored foes: Piercing Weapons (*especially* against larger armored foes) are best (if made of Copper/Bronze- Iron/Steel cannot pierce armor as effectively), Crushing Weapons (Maces and War Hammers) less effective but still very useful

Inorganic foes:  Crushing Weapons somewhat effective, Piercing Weapons mildly ineffective (they can pierce and damage even a Bronze Colossus, provided they are made of dense materials like Copper/Bronze, but there are no internal organs to destroy), Slashing Weapons highly ineffective (as these foes cannot feel pain or bleed-out, if they are made of a material that can even be hacked through in the first place...)

Note that Crossbows count as a subset of (highly effective) Piercing Weapons when used at-range, but are (somewhat ineffective) Crushing Weapons when used in melee.  Bows (if Dwarves could used them) are near-useless Slashing Weapons in melee.

The larger the organic foe (one with internal organs and a meaty structure) the less effective Slashing Weapons are (it's much harder to decapitate or de-limb an Elephant than a Badger), but Piercing Weapons maintain their effectiveness (a well-aimed spear is just as capable of piercing the heart of either).  Crushing Weapons are more effective the smaller foes (it's easier to pulp a smaller foe), but maintain their effectiveness against armor and inorganic foes.

Piercing Weapons are also quite capable of piercing Iron/Bronze armor when made of Copper or Bronze (these metals are denser than Iron/Steel, and the capability of Iron/Steel to maintain a superior edge to Copper/Bronze doesn't matter much when piercing through metal.)  Bronze is usually the best overall choice of material for Spears, as it maintains a sharper edge than Copper (Spears have a highly-effective slashing attack with a very low to-hit-modifier), but is still dense enough for the main piercing attack for which Spears/Picks are best known (which has a much better chance of hitting than a Spear's slashing attack).

1st Limestone 255
Wacksonoff and two other dwarfs have passed away. The first two deaths were beyond the talents of even the most learned, but the third death was brought about by dehydration. It fills me with deep shame to see one of our own die in such a pointless manner.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but Wacksonoff and the other dwarf almost certainly died due to a Forgotten Beast syndrome.  Basically, some Forgotten Beasts have gasses or other fluids that can rot away the nervous tissue of Dwarves, starting with the Spine (which, surprisingly, is not immediately lethal) and moving to the Brain (which is quickly lethal)...

If I'm not mistaken, both of those dwarves were exposed to Forgotten Beast syndrome-gas earlier... (which is why I recommended sealing the Caverns)

With Wacksonoff's death I have reorganized the militia and instituted a new training regime. Additionally, a new archery range has been constructed for the Marksdwarfs to practice in; this has delayed the exploratory mining slightly, but that cannot be avoided. The forging of chain mail and helmets is proceeding apace, albeit with an unskilled workforce.

Great, did you remember to build the archery range in such a manner that spent bolts can be recovered?  If you're not sure what I'm talking about, you probably did not- basically what you need to do is set up the target end of the archery range so that there is a 1 z-level drop anywhere the bolts can hit besides the targets.  This can be accomplished by channeling the space between the targets and where you want the Marksdwarves to stand to fire.  Just make sure the space below is nothing but an empty pit (this is where the spent bolts go, and can be recovered from)- you wouldn't want spent bolts raining down into a dining hall!

Also make sure used ammunition is set as forbidden and the area is set as a forbidden Traffic zone- you don't want Dwarves walking in front of the Marksdwarves (wandering, or to recover spent bolts) while the range is still in active use! (to safely recover spent bolts, periodically turn off the use of the archery range and un-forbid the used bolts: Dwarves can enter a Forbidden Traffic zone when they have a job assignment there, such as to dump the used bolts in a Quantum Stockpile...)  You can also set up a complex system to safely recover used bolts while the range is in active use with lever-operated Hatches/Grates and a recovery level another z-level further below the archery range if you want an engineering challenge... (with a door that is forbidden or lever-operated to stay closed whenever the Hatches/Grates are open)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:45:57 pm by Northstar1989 »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:17 pm »

1st Limestone 255

Following the deaths, there are 63 adult dwarfs in Pagetower and a single baby. In the interest of history, I have recorded the names and professions of them below.

(Tomorrow's update will be more substantial)

I firmly believe that as a teaching method, mere instruction is inferior to real experience; knowing how to wield a sword and actually wielding it are two very different things. The fate of Pagetowers depends on how adequately we prepare this new wave of up and coming soldiers to defend our fortress- as such, I propose the implementation of new, more hands-on training programs for our militiadwarves.

For instance, sending new recruits on short excursions into mildly hazardous terrain would go a long way towards readying them for real combat. Lock 'em in the caverns for say, a week, with some basic copper weapons. Mark my words, when you open those doors, you will be amazed just how much tougher they are! Those dwarves who come back, that is... but don't you worry about the others, they clearly aren't soldier material.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:23:08 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Askarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2014, 11:40:08 pm »

Regarding weapons, my experience has been that a dwarf's skill is more important than their weapon; even though maces are generally the least effective weapons a macelord will still tear a bloody swath through the enemy. That being said... eh, why not. Spears for everyone!

Actually it was the rotten spine that killed Wacksonoff and friend; once the middle spine is damaged a dwarf will suffocate to death. I left it ambigious in my report since ICly there'd be no way to tell.

Regarding the archery range, good idea. I've done it with siege weapons before, but not archers. I think that bolts are automatically forbidden once they're shot, but I'll keep an eye on it...

2nd Limestone
Good news at last! The goblins have given up the seige. Opinion is divided on whether it was the bitter cold or the inherently indisciplined nature of the enemy that drove them away, but the result is the same. Disgracefully they abandoned their dead where they fell. I have given orders that the corpses be stripped and dumped atop a hill out of site. Unpleasant work, but necessary.

21st Limestone
The caravan and outpost liason arrived to my relief. It appears our kin still survive despite the depravations of the goblin horde. In exchange for many of our clay and bone crafts, we have acquired bolts, leather, wood and most importantly more steel and bronze in form of bars, crafts and anvils. I asked that next year they bring yet more bronze and steel, as well as wood. The liason informed me that warhammers (185%), meat (189%), plants (142%), ammunition (187%), headwear (157%), drinks (179%), prepared meals (211%), earrings (167%), windows (135%), tanned hides (176%) and goblets (132%) were in demand. In truth though, we have an embarassment of riches.

Atis Geshuddogik, a metal crafter seized a forge and began working furiously. He produced a silver ring of the highest quality, menacing with gem spikes, but sadly remembers nothing of the event. I reprimanded him for delaying our rearmament efforts.

A group of brave dwarfs have travelled the wilds to reach us. We now number 72, including three children.

29th Timber 255
I write with mixed feelings.

Last week a Minotaur encroached on our lands. The Legendary Miner Stukos Thikutfesh was outside the walls and was slain almost immediately. Though the beast was fearsome, I felt that our newly equipped warriors would surely be able to avenge Stukos. In a sense I was correct. Our warriors slew the minotaur, with Logem Akulmigrur delivering the final blow. Unfortunately, it was too late for  one of their number, Mistem Degelatul. A second preventable death weighs upon me. There were other dwarfs outside, who might well have not made the safety of our walls had I not sent forth the militia, but I cannot help but feel I was overeager to test our weapons. Atis Geshuddogik will take Stukos' place in the militia

The good news is that we have at last struck water. I never thought that as a dwarf I would be so happy to see unfermented liquid! Strangely enough it was not an aquaifer we discovered, but an enormous underground lake. In light of our experiences with the other cavern we discovered, I have designed a solution that should allow us to draw from the lake, while not exposing ourselves to its dangers. A hospital has also been built nearby.

Askarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2014, 08:14:11 am »

24th Malachite 256

Ducim Ruldoren has created a tapestry. Well, I think its a tapestry, he insists its meant to be worn to cover your face. Regardless, Ducim is now a legendary clothesmaker and a legendary potter. Overachiever.  Meanwhile Olin Kilrudmingkil produced an incredible breastplate... except its made of copper and he has no idea how he did it. I'd conscript him into the militia, but he's already part of it. He was right to call it the Spiral of Lamenting

We were attacked by a giant, which provided the opportunity for some live fire practice by our guards. The only casualty was one wardog that had its paw broken. Subsequently the militia claimed to have slain a giant monster composed entirely of steam.

Three babies have been born and a large group of migrants arrived. Pagetowers is now home to 84 adults and 5 children. With our swelling numbers, I have decided to add another three recruits to the Helmed Skulls, all from the most recent migrant wave.

In a rather less exciting piece of news, I was called upon to reorganise our sleeping arrangements. Evidently my fellow citizens were unable to decide which wardrobe belonged to who and were spending all day moving their clothes from one to another. Now everyone has a three by three corner of the room to themselves. This is why we can't have nice things.

With the militia progressing nicely, I have opened up the caverns temporarily. For security reasons though, I have built a bridge infront of the exit, so it can be sealed off easily. The level is on the main level, next to the main gate controls.

To ensure that the sacrifices of those who have fallen are never forgotten, I ordered that slabs memorialising every dwarf who has died in Pagetowers be created.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:44:17 am by Askarn »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2014, 09:00:11 pm »

Regarding weapons, my experience has been that a dwarf's skill is more important than their weapon; even though maces are generally the least effective weapons a macelord will still tear a bloody swath through the enemy. That being said... eh, why not. Spears for everyone!

Maces and Warhammers are not particularly fast, but they work well against armored and inorganic enemies.  That being said, spears are usually the best weapons (pikes would be better *if* Dwarves could manufacture them).  They're especially effective against large, unarmored enemies like the Minotaur you encountered earlier.  On a hit-for-hit basis, spears can hold their own with Crossbow bolts (which any experienced player will agree are slightly OP'd) when in skilled/capable hands, if that gives you any idea...

Actually it was the rotten spine that killed Wacksonoff and friend; once the middle spine is damaged a dwarf will suffocate to death. I left it ambigious in my report since ICly there'd be no way to tell.

I see.  All the more reason to be cautious of the caverns.

Regarding the archery range, good idea. I've done it with siege weapons before, but not archers. I think that bolts are automatically forbidden once they're shot, but I'll keep an eye on it...

Really, you've never built an archery range with 100% bolt recovery before?  I made it a standard practice with all my archery ranges, from the very first one I ever built.  Of course, many of my fortresses tend to be shallow surface forts that come under attack *very* early in their history (before they had any chance of raising a decent melee militia), so having skilled Marksdwarves was *essential* to their survival (usually I didn't have the bolts to spare to throw them away firing them against targets without recovery...)

Good news at last! The goblins have given up the seige. Opinion is divided on whether it was the bitter cold or the inherently indisciplined nature of the enemy that drove them away, but the result is the same. Disgracefully they abandoned their dead where they fell. I have given orders that the corpses be stripped and dumped atop a hill out of site. Unpleasant work, but necessary.

Good job keeping the discipline to keep the Dwarves inside the walls!  I wouldn't have advised dumping the bodies on top of a hill though- Dwarves get horrified thoughts when looking at corpses (even those of their enemies) with the new morale system.  Dumping them as far out of sight as possible would have been idea.

The caravan and outpost liason arrived to my relief. It appears our kin still survive despite the depravations of the goblin horde. In exchange for many of our clay and bone crafts, we have acquired bolts, leather, wood and most importantly more steel and bronze in form of bars, crafts and anvils. I asked that next year they bring yet more bronze and steel, as well as wood. The liason informed me that warhammers (185%), meat (189%), plants (142%), ammunition (187%), headwear (157%), drinks (179%), prepared meals (211%), earrings (167%), windows (135%), tanned hides (176%) and goblets (132%) were in demand. In truth though, we have an embarassment of riches.

So basically, they want food, food, and more food?  That's great, because we should still have a HUGE surplus if you've been keeping up with the agriculture/farming (keep in mind it's not a no-maintenance system: the Quarry Bushes need to be processed into bags and the leaves cooked up to recycle the bags, the Sweet Pods need to be brewed or turned into sugar/syrup, and the Pig Tails need to be brewed or processed into thread...  The pigs also occasionally need to have their numbers thinned or be expanded into additional pens, or they will end up fighting each other due to overcrowding...  Finally, the Crundles/Turkeys are a food source mainly through eggs- which need to be cooked to be edible, and occasionally need to be forbidden to allow additional generations to hatch; and the Crundles need to have the oldest generations butchered to eventually become fully tame over many generations...)

Atis Geshuddogik, a metal crafter seized a forge and began working furiously. He produced a silver ring of the highest quality, menacing with gem spikes, but sadly remembers nothing of the event. I reprimanded him for delaying our rearmament efforts.

Fairly worthless, of course.  But maybe we could stockpile such worthless trinkets in the bedrooms so that Dwarves will occasionally stop to admire them? (generating Happy Thoughts)

A group of brave dwarfs have travelled the wilds to reach us. We now number 72, including three children.

I hope you're making sure there are enough living quarters for them, and working to continuously improve the quality of the existing bedrooms (by merging smaller rooms together and improving the quality of furniture...  The low-quality furniture should probably be sold or gifted to the Dwarven Caravan...)  Higher room-quality bedrooms give Dwarves Happy Thoughts (helping to prevent tantrums)- the nicer the bedroom the stronger the effect the thoughts have on Dwarven mood (incremented step-wise by the various room-quality levels, and capping out when a bedroom reaches Legendary status...)

Last week a Minotaur encroached on our lands. The Legendary Miner Stukos Thikutfesh was outside the walls and was slain almost immediately. Though the beast was fearsome, I felt that our newly equipped warriors would surely be able to avenge Stukos. In a sense I was correct. Our warriors slew the minotaur, with Logem Akulmigrur delivering the final blow. Unfortunately, it was too late for  one of their number, Mistem Degelatul. A second preventable death weighs upon me. There were other dwarfs outside, who might well have not made the safety of our walls had I not sent forth the militia, but I cannot help but feel I was overeager to test our weapons. Atis Geshuddogik will take Stukos' place in the militia

That's perfectly understandable- I'm not against ALL melee combat, just the unnecessary stuff.  There are some situations (like where a large number of Dwarves are stuck outside the walls) where it is advisable to send forth the militia into melee combat.  Just make sure they have high-quality Bronze Spears, and preferably heavy Iron/Steel armor for future such situations (there are different *levels* of armor protection: for instance breastplates provide heavier protection than chainmail, but cover a more limited area of the body), or at least Bronze if there isn't enough Iron/Steel to go around (Bronze is better than Iron/Steel for Spears, but not for armor of course...)  Of course, the best way to avoid these potentially risky situations (even in the best armor, a Giant or other large creature can still bludgeon a Dwarf to death through their armor) is to keep the gates closed and the Dwarves inside the fortress whenever possible.

The good news is that we have at last struck water. I never thought that as a dwarf I would be so happy to see unfermented liquid! Strangely enough it was not an aquaifer we discovered, but an enormous underground lake. In light of our experiences with the other cavern we discovered, I have designed a solution that should allow us to draw from the lake, while not exposing ourselves to its dangers. A hospital has also been built nearby.

Oh, nice. Do you know if the lake extends to the edge of the map (in which case it must be sourced from an aquifer or underground river) or if it's only a limited supply?

I would recommend *constructing* a secure cistern on a higher z-leverl, closer to the fortress and hospital, and then filling it up by bucket (filled by well from the lake to minimize hauling time and water usage) using multiple iterations of the "Pond" zone.  Then you can have a secure water supply, and easily build the hospital on a higher z-level.  Just make sure you have a large number of Pond zones designated around the edge of the cistern, and make it taller rather than wider to increase its capacity, so that water won't evaporate nearly as fast as it's put in when you first start filling the cistern.  Also, make sure it has smoothed walls/floors or ones constructed out of blocks to help minimize mud contamination.  Also, make sure you have a way to seal off the lake cavern with something not damageable by flying/amphibious Building Destroyers (aka. some of the worst Forgotten Beasts a fortress will ever have to deal with...)

Regards,
Northstar

P.S.  Also, good idea with the Memorial Slabs.  Not only will this give our fortress more of a sense of history- they can also be strategically placed to create Happy Thoughts and raise room value by being built in Dwarven bedrooms, Nobles' studies, dining halls etc. (the positive effect of happy thoughts from slabs/statues/furniture is greater when the object is owned by that Dwarf...)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:05:53 pm by Northstar1989 »

Askarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2014, 03:19:39 am »

3rd Granite 256
The caravan and liason came around again. I have requested more metal (both in crafts and bars) and wood, while the liason informed me that they desire maces (140%), meat (207%), figurines (154%), windows (142%), scepters (184%), crutches (194%), fish (189%), quivers (141%), armor (165%), crowns (138%) and blocks (131%). We acquired quite a bit of metal and leather.

I also decided to accept the advice of Northstar and build a new cistern. With hindsight, making it 6x3x3 units in size may have been slight overkill, but we've got plenty of manpower; there are now 94 adults and 8 children calling Pagetowers home. In addition to the well and cistern, I've added a small bath.

With our enlarged population, I feel its time to reorganize the militia again. Instead of a squad of 8 Speardwarfs and a squad of 10 Marksdwarfs, we will now have two squads of 6 Spear Dwarfs and two squads of 7 Marksdwarfs. Reorganizing and reequipping will take a bit of time, but hopefully my successors will reap the rewards. The Militia now looks like this...

Shortly after the reorganization was undertaken a scouting party of goblins were spotted. None of them survived to report back to the main horde. None of our soldiers suffered so much as a scratch.

With this success, I've decided to give up the position of overseer slightly early. My objectives when taking over were to build an efficient militia and find a water supply. Both of those things have been accomplished (more or less). Hopefully this way Meme will be able to get some playtime over the weekend and the Fortress will keep ticking over at a good pace. Some suggestions for my successors:

-There's a group of six crundles behind a locked door that have reverted to wildness. We've got plenty of cages, so the best idea would probably be to clear out the tame ones, put down a bunch of traps, then open the door.
-The militia has been performing pretty well, but they're by no means invincible yet. The marksdwarfs in particular could use some live fire practice. I made a small arena for that purpose, but didn't get a chance to put it to use.
-The underground lake isn't completely sealed off yet; an aquatic building destroyer could still cause FUN there.
-I used up a fair chunk of our bronze supplies. There's also quite a bit of Steel that I melted down, but the only weapon ore we have available is Native Copper.
-There's plenty of food, but quite a lot of it needs to be cooked. Some micromanagement there could be useful.
-FPS may be starting to become an issue depending on your machine. Atom smashing or dumping some junk in the volcano and sealing off the mining tunnels that aren't in use should help.

Save game is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9625

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2014, 04:20:25 pm »

:-\ After looking through the fortress I realize I have a long way to go before I could do something like this, at least a bit more practice before I would delve into this. I give up my turn to the next person in line.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2014, 06:24:39 pm »

:-\ After looking through the fortress I realize I have a long way to go before I could do something like this, at least a bit more practice before I would delve into this. I give up my turn to the next person in line.

Try downloading some of the various saves and see how you would do in handling the various crisis situations we've already run into before disparaging yourself...

In the meantime, Taupe, it's your turn now.  You have 24 hours (until 6:25 PM Central Time 9/7/14) to confirm download of the save.

Regards,
Northstar

Wacksonoff

• Bay Watcher
  • I just work here, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2014, 09:03:24 am »

In accordance with the death of my previous dwarf, I ask that I be dorfed as Wacksonoff II. Again, he can be anyone, but preferably someone useful.
This is an exceptional golden figurine of a Peregrine Falcon. All Maltese craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is studded with Baguette-cut diamonds. It is covered in black lacquer. The item is a masterfully designed image of a pointed cross. The pointed cross is the symbol of the Knights Hospitaller.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24