Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Imperfect Glosstrot, Our Glosstrot (My Little Pony Fortress) *Restarted*  (Read 11009 times)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Imperfect Glosstrot, Our Glosstrot (My Little Pony Fortress) *Restarted*
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2014, 12:38:59 pm »

So much info! Will be gladly storing this info into the data bank known as my brain! Thank you very much!
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2014, 05:06:47 pm »

I will admit I hadn't taken the bismuth bronze thing into account like.... Ever. Hats off to you jaxler, you made me learn something new today.

I would also like to add that my observations of fort mode training indicates it's at least a little bit easier to train larger groups with varying weapons now, though starting small and adding new recruits over time is probably the smart thing. And woo, someone else who uses wooden shields! Was starting to think I was the only oddball who didn't like their soldiers lugging around heavy lumps of metal with handles attached. Damned things are expensive on the metal front too.

As to metals, depending on how things of been they may be painfully far down, or worse, not actually useable metals (fucking cobalt and cinnabar,) or just a bad crafting only metal: Sphalerite. I cannot even begin to describe my hatred of these metals in the vanilla game.

Smaller groups of the same weapons train much faster because it makes sparing much more common, and it makes it so when a dwarf does a demonstration for a spear, you don't have all the other dwarfs watching learn nothing of importance because they use a hammer or mace or whatever.

Also, from what I've seen, iron is rare, but tetradite is almost always on the map, and tin can be further down. Bismuth is almost always around cavern level 2-3 three in my experience (if it's on the map that is. it often just isn't thee). also, you'd be smart to mod platinum so it shows up in veins because it originally was supposed to be able to show up in veins it's bugged, and bismuth is so painfully limited in quantity in dwarf forts that it's worth changing.

Another bit of advice, is to try and find rubies, sapphires, emeralds, and diamond for trade. Get a jeweler and have them practice on normal stone (double points if it's a flux stone, or obsidian) and once they get good enough have them make some masterwork precious gems that'll trade for some big bucks. Or you could just make 1000+ stone trumpets like everyone else.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:09:35 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2014, 05:10:33 pm »

I will admit I hadn't taken the bismuth bronze thing into account like.... Ever. Hats off to you jaxler, you made me learn something new today.

I would also like to add that my observations of fort mode training indicates it's at least a little bit easier to train larger groups with varying weapons now, though starting small and adding new recruits over time is probably the smart thing. And woo, someone else who uses wooden shields! Was starting to think I was the only oddball who didn't like their soldiers lugging around heavy lumps of metal with handles attached. Damned things are expensive on the metal front too.

As to metals, depending on how things of been they may be painfully far down, or worse, not actually useable metals (fucking cobalt and cinnabar,) or just a bad crafting only metal: Sphalerite. I cannot even begin to describe my hatred of these metals in the vanilla game.

Smaller groups of the same weapons train much faster because it makes sparing much more common, and it makes it so when a dwarf does a demonstration for a spear, you don't have all the other dwarfs watching learn nothing of importance because they use a hammer or mace or whatever.

It isn't (as much of) an issue now. While using the same weapon does speed up training, now the morons don't bother with demonstrations for weapons nobody else has, and only the guys with the same do demonstrations for others. Frankly it's one hell of a step up in terms of thier seeming intellect.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2014, 05:14:26 pm »

It isn't (as much of) an issue now. While using the same weapon does speed up training, now the morons don't bother with demonstrations for weapons nobody else has, and only the guys with the same do demonstrations for others. Frankly it's one hell of a step up in terms of thier seeming intellect.

Smaller units of the same weapon also helps with organization. Makes it easier to send the spear dorfs to kill the dragon, and only send the mace dorfs to kill the undead.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2014, 05:17:18 pm »

Not saying it's a bad thing. Just now you really can let your dwarves pick whatever melee weapons they feel like using if they can like the days of yore in 40d and such, if you don't feel like setting up separate uniforms just for all the different weapons.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2014, 12:39:14 pm »

Bump.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2014, 03:14:56 pm »

Yea sorry for no Logs/Records recently, have gotten really sick and i probably won't be able to upload a new one until the end of the weekend. :/
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2014, 11:25:20 pm »

The journal of maple palemauve:

Been a busy few weeks, now that our pick-weilding freind has gotten enough of a hole for our overseer's liking. the order was given, and the wagon dismantled. A momentous occasion in the life of a settlement, the moment you decide that, come what may, this is your home now, even if at the moment it seems more fit for dogs or filthy bugs than Ponies. But, one must as the times require. At the least we've got ourselves a proper farmhouse. and who knows, as time goes, we may build a proper town.. Torch knows I'd spent enough time in Dog warrens during the war that the style grows on you.. even if the neigbors did sometimes have some odd ideas of race relations, we seemed to get along alright on the whole.. I might need to talk to that miner sometime, once things slow down.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2014, 03:21:47 am »

Phalanx's journal, 23rd of Hermatite

I finally finished trotting for ages, and arrived in town. I don't think this place really lives up to what I was told. I expected to end up in an actual town, with a big wall and buildings and what not, but from what I can tell, there is just one building with a basement in the dirt where I'm expected to live with every other pony here. Thankfully there is only a hoofful of ponies here, so it's not too cramped here. Actually, now that I think about it, the lack of staff here might be a pretty bad thing. There are only about two ponies here who can protect us. That should be enough to keep the peace between us here, but if something attacks us like a group of bandits, or what not, we're probably screwed. It's not like have anywhere else to go, though, so I guess I'm stranded here.

I'm been thinking about what I should do here. It's not like I've got a trade skill or profession i'm decent at, so I suppose I'll pick up the spear again. When I came out here I was hoping to put my old line of work behind me, but I suppose this "town" could another pony protecting the ponies here. Hopefully when more combat ponies come (or at least I hope they do) I'll be able to step down and do something more tame. Still though, I really hope this place makes it long enough for that to happen.

I'm going to go call it a night. I have a long day tomorrow getting settled into this place.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:23:25 am by jaxler »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2014, 03:50:51 am »

Alright so bad news fellas, won't be able to post any logs/records for a while cause i'm in the hospital, Coughed up some blood and i'm on my laptop currently in my hospital bed. Don't remember what they said was wrong with me cause i was still out of it but yea. Hopefully by the time i'm out i'll be all good and i can post without any problems.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2014, 03:56:18 am »

Alright so bad news fellas, won't be able to post any logs/records for a while cause i'm in the hospital, Coughed up some blood and i'm on my laptop currently in my hospital bed. Don't remember what they said was wrong with me cause i was still out of it but yea. Hopefully by the time i'm out i'll be all good and i can post without any problems.

Wow. That... That is messed up. Sincerly hope is isn't something y'know, too horrible.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2014, 04:05:14 am »

get well soon.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2014, 04:07:35 am »

I really hope you get better.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2014, 04:07:45 am »

I just now found it ironic that this happened to me just a week or so after i started this... Kinda weird. Anyway for now i need to get some more sleep so peace off and i hope to get over this soon! Don't wanna leave ya'll hangin'.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2014, 10:15:40 am »

Ahhhh... Hope it's nothing too serious...
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8