Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39

Author Topic: The Museum II; adventure succession world (game is finished)  (Read 110586 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum II; new adventure succession world
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »

In the morning, I set out for the nearby dwarven fort of Murderedflags. Perhaps there would be something worthy of the Museum there. But on the way there I was ambushed by a single lasher and slain easily.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9778

Are you not building a site?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2014, 05:18:11 pm »

Nah.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 05:22:15 pm »

That story was beautiful in its simplicity.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »

Alrighty then - I've downloaded the save and shall be posting about my adventures shortly.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Huntress Emerges
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2014, 12:24:04 am »

I was born in the rooms below Throneshields and apprenticed to Master Ellestrakust.  As a dwarf I know that I'm supposed to honor the stones of our tunnels and became adept at the mason's art of finding the sympathy between two stones, that they might cleave to eachother without seam.  However, my eyes always tended to stray past the lintels and porticos up to the forbidden horizons - while Master Ellestrakust lectured on the importances of corner and keystones, on the balance of opposing forces and the earth-lore of the deep miners.

I admit it now, though before I dared not, even to myself:
   Though I attended his lectures with ready ear, my heart dwelt not in solid stone or sparkling gem but in unknown horizons and a most undwarvenly appetite for wide open spaces.  One night I snuck out of the apprentice's caverns and into the Museum proper, where they quaffed mead so fresh, the bees were still buzzing.  That night changed my life forever, for an old dwarf, with many scars and twinkling eyes, paid for his mead with words of derring-do and stealthy skill, of deeds and lands both fantastic and distant, of seas he'd swum and foes he'd vanquished, of treasures gained and companions lost, often within moments of each-other.  My heart leapt double-time in my chest, and he noticed my shy eyes brighten over edge of my mead barrel, for he beckoned me over and offered me a biscuit made of polar bear tongue spiced with some unknown topside greenery.  "The trick to these things", he spoke quietly, as I savored the enticingly strange flavor, "is to follow your heart, but keep both eyes open.  Remember, 'Should' and 'if' never did exist, only 'is' or 'is not'. When your 'is', 'is not', go whence you came."

I wasn't quite sure what he meant, but the buzzing mead was strong and it hit my head like a load of stone rolling off a peasant's back and we all had a roaring good time after that.  The morning was another story, for I had to admit my escapade to my old master and see his familiar brow furrow in concern over my discontent once more. 

"Oh, Graniteriddles, Graniteriddles, what am I to do with you?"  he asked tiredly, his eyes skipping from cornice to join in the ceiling, checking for nonexistant cracks more out of habit than purpose as his mind examined the problem of his sky-minded apprentice from all angles, like the plans to some improbable noble-inspired structure.  A long silence passed, he considering, me fidgeting with my hem. The silence stretched on and on until finally he let out a deep sigh and focused once more on my small and trembling form.

"You have no real place within the safety of stone and clan - your sense of duty has been overcome by your curiosity time and again and it ever shall be, I fear." He again let out a great sigh.  "So be it." He then gestured to someone behind me,  "You may as well come into the light, old freind, it seems you've stolen another of my apprentices."

He was answered by a chuckle as the old tale-teller stepped out of the shadows.  "Her heart was distant long before I tasted my first homecoming mead, old stonefitter. Let me show her her heart's desire."  With that he removed her pale, dusty novice's cloak and handed it solemnly to her sorrow-eyed master before clasping a brown and green one to my shoulders.  Come, little ranger, let's see where your heart has led you. 

In the dim room, I saw the old mason raise the cast-away cloak to wipe away a tear, as if mourning the death of a loved one.  I thought nothing of it at the time, thinking it the sentimentality of an old dwarf in his hole, mourning younger years.

~~

It is the 3rd of Granite, the 1060th cycle since the Making as the gnomon-keepers reckon it and I, Graniteriddles Asob, am a newly apprenticed huntress.  How my heart hammers: the sky is so big!  I wonder, is it hung using something akin to the sympathy of stone?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:32:04 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2014, 07:18:54 am »

Ooh. New Museum thread? I might have to try drawing some Dorfs for this. I guess I'll wait and see if anyone brings back something impressive, and then draw them I s'pose.
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Huntress Emerges
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »

I was born in the rooms below Throneshields and apprenticed to Master Ellestrakust. 

She was born in and spend her entire life in the rooms below Throneshields? As a person who is familiar with the cold and muddy excuse for a cellar that lies below the museum, I can only say one thing.  That is a horrible, horrible fate.

I wish her al the luck she can handle, up there on the surface.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Huntress Emerges
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2014, 02:37:05 pm »

I was born in the rooms below Throneshields and apprenticed to Master Ellestrakust. 

She was born in and spend her entire life in the rooms below Throneshields? As a person who is familiar with the cold and muddy excuse for a cellar that lies below the museum, I can only say one thing.  That is a horrible, horrible fate.

I wish her all the luck she can handle, up there on the surface.

Heh - the old mason is none other than your expedition leader.  Fitting that he's training the next generation, no?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2014, 02:47:26 pm »

Ah yes, I think nearly everyone in the fortress ended up as a mason, all of them a bit funny in the beard from working with raw pitchblende for too long.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Huntress and the Pikemaster
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2014, 07:00:18 am »

"I'd like you to meet an old travelling companion of mine", twinkle-eyes told her gently, "He's a human named Alnos Trussbuttons of the Dented Coast, and he's set his eyes on many a distant horizon.  I think you could do him a service." 

We sought him out in the woods surrounding the Keep, but though many knew his name, none knew where to find him.  As the sun sank below the hills, we finally came upon a roughly hewn tunnel leading back into the hill that supported the paved path leading to the road.

"Perhaps he's found himself a bit of a nap in here.", my new Master commented, so we entered single-file. 

The tunnel wound back into the hillside for a good fifty paces before widening out into a small natural cave.  With horror, I beheld the corpses of a human, a goblin, a kobold and a lizard-like thing laying amongst the litter of rotting shells and a single worn bag.  Further in, four grave-markers rested, their marks indecipherable to my eyes, for I'd never caught the trick of the silent speech - a little further in a weird possum-like corpse lay in decrepit ruin and in the far corner gleamed two coins, one silver and one gold.

"Ah, Alnos." Whispered my new master, "I see your journeys have ended under this hill."

I turned in startlement, showing him the two coins I'd found.

"Hmm..." he said, examining the devices upon them. "These are human made, from The Union of Tunnels.  I'd wager they're the passing price for my freind here's 'soul'.  You see, the humans have an interesting belief that their life force travels on in another body after their first one has died - a bit like some creatures called 'crabs' I've seen in my travels.  His body lays discarded among these shells much like a discarded shell itself.  You may take the silver, and I the gold, as his last gift to an old companion."  He then returned to me the silver coin, kissing the gold one and placing it in his pouch.

"Come, we must continue your education to the south of here, where the wild boars and owls roam." Thus saying, he led me south and a little west to a place he knew at the river where others were hunting as well - dwarf, human and goblin.  The contesting was fierce, and I learned much about hunting from my master before a goblin bearing the disheveled uniform of a pikemaster chased my master into the river. 

"I'll help you!"  I cried, but, too soon I found the true quarry for that pike-goblin.  In horror, I found that its quarry was ME.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Huntress Suddenly Perishes
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2014, 07:13:56 am »

I wish I was back home in the dim halls learning about stone and architecture again, for my knee has been ruined by that loathsome goblin, who broke my leg and would have done worse if I wasn't able to stick one of my bronze bolts in its neck!  Of my master, there is no sign:  He was swept down the river too quickly for me to follow, and I swim as well as I read, which is to say not at all.  I have in my bag a a silver human coin, a silver human whip to go with it... no, I lie, it lays over there after I tried to strike the goblin with it... and four goblin teeth.  My dagger has seen two or three kills, and my bolt may have seen one as well, for I hear the green hunter thrashing yonder in the brush.

No, it's not to be so - for it comes now, its red eyes agleam with malice, a dirty rag tied about the wound in its throat.  I fear this may be the end for me.  If only I could lay with the great hero in his cave below the hill, I would be satisfied.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2014, 07:18:14 am »

She lasted from the 3rd to the 10th.  After all, it's proven that

Seven days make one weak!

(Should you check out the deities from "The Wayward Dagger", you may be pleasantly surprised as I was by the crossover from Museum I)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:02:58 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2014, 01:51:35 am »

(Should you check out the deities from "The Wayward Dagger", you may be pleasantly surprised as I was by the crossover from Museum I)

:o. It seems he had to sacrifice his manliness in the process, but wow.. Time to start a cult of followers.. All hail Dishmab!

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 11:42:50 am »

All Hail Dishmab!!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:36 am »

Perhaps not all - The Wayward Daggers have a pretty interesting pantheon.  I like The Heavenly Star, god of Rain and Thunder who always seems to be screaming - Zeus anyone?  Or Tath the Goddess of Fate who always seems so solemn.

By the way, Dishmab is the Goddess of Fortresses...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:58:09 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39