Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33

Author Topic: Dominions 4 - Round 11B (Medieval Boogaloo)  (Read 48497 times)

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 - Round 11B (And So It Begins...)
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2014, 12:44:30 pm »

If I need trees I just milk my Dryads  >:(

My island!  HISSSS
That's sap. You know what sap is, right? It's sometimes used to make syrup, which by the way can enhance some of Our Fine Cheeses in small amounts. We have Heard that Centaur milk makes a Passable Cheese. Perhaps you should try that so you know what Cheese actually is.

Unless, of course, you are Lactose Intolerant. The People of Vanheim are Enlightened and as such do not tolerate Discrimination of any kind.

...Except for Discrimination against Lizardmen or Amazons, who are the Natural Enemies of our People and must be Enslaved whenever and wherever they are Found.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:47:32 pm by Hellheart »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2014, 06:43:01 pm »

Didn't a group of 4 elephants used to be able to steamroll independents back in Dom3? Has something changed horribly or am I just really unlucky this game?
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2014, 07:05:41 pm »

It's a little risky. What sort of indies were you trying to steamroll?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2014, 07:14:29 pm »

Not at my dominions computer but off the top of my head: Some bear tribes people. Tried distracting them initially with a few markata while the elephants went in the back. They didn't even really touch the elephants but apparently just like 5 markata biting it caused them to route right near the leadership. Uh, another was some blood henge Druids whom I admittedly should have checked for those blood vines; same thing, routed right before stomping leadership. Oh and longdead of all things. Elephants almost route but barely win, then an Indy attack happens after.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2014, 07:29:08 pm »

I'd suggest either more elephants (to make them not break as quickly), or not spending your money on elephants at all (because they're pretty expensive). If you do, trampling straight through the enemy will work better than trying to sneak around as long as you're fighting standard-size enemies. Attack rear is still a good order, just stick the elephants in the center-front so they charge right through the enemy's center mass - the mass-slaughtering they do (instakilling normal non-cavalry standard-size indie troops) is good for causing routs, but elephants are not terribly high in morale (or protection) themselves. (And they're fairly easy to counter, but the indie AI isn't going to be trying, necessarily)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2014, 08:38:09 pm »

Did you have the four elephants in their own squad?

I'm pretty sure that squads of five or less (or less than five?) make a morale check every turn even if they're not being damaged. That's a quick way to get yourself routed.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2014, 10:01:43 am »

Did you have the four elephants in their own squad?

I'm pretty sure that squads of five or less (or less than five?) make a morale check every turn even if they're not being damaged. That's a quick way to get yourself routed.
Did some testing with Bandar since I eventually want to succeed with them. Bandar can only effectively expand using either Tiger Riders with at least a Major-Minor Bless or Elephants. Several Bandar troops have their uses...just not against independents, and you have to be clever with them.

Elephant expansion starts by stashing the Atavi and killing off the useless Markata archers on Turn 1 with a Retreat order on the commander. I recruit 4 Elephants , which means no Turn 1 mage without heavy positive scales. A squad of 4 elephants with half of the Atavi set to Guard Commander can wipe out weaker Indies with no casualties and - more often than not - no afflictions

There are two traps with Elephant Bandar expansion: your Markata archers have terrible aim and will rout your own elephants, and if you aren't experienced with scripting the opponent may attack first and possibly rout your elephants.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2014, 06:41:40 pm »

So Ulm, no "thanks for saving my bacon" for preventing your stale? (Actually, Shadowlord is who you should thank, since he noticed an hour or so out from the turn processing and sent me a PM, which, since I happened to check my email shortly after while at work, allowed me to call up my wife and ask her to push back the deadline (darn work web filters, not letting me access Bay12 or Llama.))

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2014, 07:18:10 pm »

He probably didn't notice he was going to run out of time. If he had, he could have asked for an extension - Ideally, much earlier than when I sent that PM. I was honestly surprised you even saw the email from the forums in time, let alone were able to postpone it.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2014, 06:38:54 am »

OH, thanks, I I saw that there were a few hours left on my email when I got on so I did my turn.
Didn't notice, sorry, but thanks.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2014, 08:35:56 am »

*grmpf* I failed with my god...I don't want to go in detail atm but it was a not necessary setback
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2014, 01:54:32 pm »

Thank you cheesedude for backing off, I appreciate it.

I took a risk this turn.  Lets see if it pays off!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2014, 11:15:05 pm »

Thank you cheesedude for backing off, I appreciate it.

I took a risk this turn.  Lets see if it pays off!

Jarlsberg Cheese himself will Gaze Upon His former Colony this month. He expects to see a Happy Populace that is enjoying large quantities of Our Finest Cheese. Do not Disappoint Him.

I have not informed him of the Ichtyid Province, for he would be Greatly Wroth at the lost possibility of Conquering the High Seas. Pray he never finds out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:06:09 am by Hellheart »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2014, 12:12:40 am »

Toady Two: You just activated my trap card!

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2014, 06:47:13 am »

Did you do something clever? I couldn't tell. Looks to me like your OP sacreds just did what they are supposed to do.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33