Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33

Author Topic: Dominions 4 - Round 11B (Medieval Boogaloo)  (Read 48483 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 - Round 11B (Medieval Boogaloo)
« Reply #315 on: January 19, 2015, 06:20:03 pm »

(( Boo Pangaea! You sussed out my clever plan, which was obviously not clever enough. And probably obvious because screw Lord of the Hunt. ))

((To be fair you almost had me, I actually had everything set up differently then hesitated before I hit end turn.))

Edit:  Quick question:  Once a castle is breached, setting guys to research will still let them defend the castle, correct?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:26:38 pm by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 21, 2015, 12:32:08 am »

Yes. Anything other than breaking the siege or leaving the castle will allow the commander to defend the castle, and maybe commanders and troops that retreat from a break attempt will still contribute to a repair?

Although once a castle is breached IIRC NOTHING will repair it from breach. But it checks for breach after the siege/defense power calculation, so you were technically never breached.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:33:48 am by Hellheart »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 21, 2015, 02:39:39 am »

I've seen castles go back to needing more time to break into, the turn after being ready to break into. (When I opted not to break into them and then reduced the number of siegers)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 21, 2015, 05:35:18 am »

Shadowlord is correct. There's no way to stop at least one storming attempt when you're breached, but if you gate/sneak/summon a bunch more troops (or kill a bunch of siegers/stormers) and it changes the math, the breach will be repaired after that.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 21, 2015, 08:54:28 am »

Well it seems I am probably done for.  The vultures are closing in, sensing weakness.  That spell I cast probably doesn't help; I honestly didn't know it would be so effective and awesome.  Lesson learned!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 21, 2015, 01:50:51 pm »

And now you know why Friendship is Magic. #hasneveractuallywatchedthatshow
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2015, 08:51:19 pm »

Well it seems I am probably done for.  The vultures are closing in, sensing weakness.  That spell I cast probably doesn't help; I honestly didn't know it would be so effective and awesome.  Lesson learned!
Any time you cast a global that starts randomly killing EVERYONES mages, you're going to get some backlash.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2015, 08:58:43 pm »

What's the spell being cast?

Reminds me of that one guy in the official forums who wondered why everyone hated him after casting Burden of Time :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 21, 2015, 09:08:28 pm »

Didn't kill any of mine! No forests!  :P

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 21, 2015, 09:39:35 pm »

Lord of the Hunt or something like that.  Basically it's a powerful guy with a bunch of wolf-thingies that assassinate anyone with priest points that are in forests.  I thought it would be like, 1 a turn or something, but no, it's killing 4 a turn and not just guys near me / in my dominion.  Serious ownage, I am pretty sure I have destroyed a couple thousand gold worth of mages so far.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2015, 09:40:18 pm »

Didn't kill any of mine! No forests!  :P

Didn't kill any of mine either! No useful priests.  :'(

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2015, 11:48:29 pm »

Lord of the Hunt or something like that.  Basically it's a powerful guy with a bunch of wolf-thingies that assassinate anyone with priest points that are in forests.  I thought it would be like, 1 a turn or something, but no, it's killing 4 a turn and not just guys near me / in my dominion.  Serious ownage, I am pretty sure I have destroyed a couple thousand gold worth of mages so far.
(( The worst part is that the general changes to the game makes this spell a pain even late in the game, because this event occurs after recruitment so it can kill a new, item-less, unscripted priest in any forest province. And the Lord himself is almost impossible to kill unless you roll really lucky with Bodyguards or purposely lure him into attacking an SC that can take 20 Barghests solo.

And even if your priests are generally strong like my Vanjarls, you only get one turn to buff if you get attacked by Barghests or Cu Sidhe and you can ALWAYS be unlucky after that one turn. Not to mention that if you're scripted as a battle caster the Vanjarl will either be ineffective or outright kill himself. ))

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 22, 2015, 12:11:05 am »

Truthfully if that global hadn't killed the Dakini I was planning to use to get more blood slaves, I probably wouldn't even have decided to attack Pangaea. After having sat around in the capital blood hunting for so long, and especially after the hard early hit I took which set me so far back, it was just a bit too unbearable for me to let that slide. Especially since it killed my reanimating priest I was using to help repel attacks. Now I'm stuck using summons that actually require gems in the capital ::).

Granted, I should have seen that coming but it still hurt what little pride I had left.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:29 am »

Since I own no forests... it is no problem...
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 22, 2015, 12:38:21 am »

(( The worst part is that the general changes to the game makes this spell a pain even late in the game, because this event occurs after recruitment so it can kill a new, item-less, unscripted priest in any forest province. And the Lord himself is almost impossible to kill unless you roll really lucky with Bodyguards or purposely lure him into attacking an SC that can take 20 Barghests solo.

And even if your priests are generally strong like my Vanjarls, you only get one turn to buff if you get attacked by Barghests or Cu Sidhe and you can ALWAYS be unlucky after that one turn. Not to mention that if you're scripted as a battle caster the Vanjarl will either be ineffective or outright kill himself. ))

((Marble oracles anyone?))
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33