Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 475

Author Topic: Tick 111: SGame Over (not the epilogue)  (Read 616659 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods [19+/999 players] IC: T108: Relay
« Reply #6840 on: February 08, 2015, 10:17:16 pm »

Followers of Darruth are made immune to physiologically addictive effects of drugs, and resistant to psychological addiction to things other than doing Good. Including alcohol.
This extends to a lesser degree to those around them via magical aura-ish seeping things and Obelisks, and Darruthian priests can cure drug addictions during the induction into the Church/becoming a follower.

((And before anyone says 'oh you're not curing anyone who asks for it you're not Good after all!', it's really not that bloody hard to join the church, and if you aren't willing to follow the teachings of the fucking God of Goodness in order to deal with your addiction, and have a drug problem, well...))
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: February 08, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »

"Also, Malakath, Asking me if I can design a Kitchen to experiment with Potions is like asking Fusil if he can make a Sword out of Steel. All you need to do is ask and Pay me back however Much Essence I lost creating it."

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: February 08, 2015, 10:45:10 pm »

*Points at Worship Units*

You see that gap there? Now I want you to think about something. When several gods recently have made millions more followers, did you see their essence gain go up by any significant amount if at all? Now imagine I decide to form a pantheon with any of you. My high worship quality from the large number of followers who are fervently loyal to me will potentially drop and I gain a large number of followers which has been clearly shown not to have any considerable effect after a god already possesses a large number of followers.

Effectively... sharing worship is only useful is very specific circumstances where either,
a) The gods both have low enough numbers of worshipers for the gain in numbers to be worth it.
b) The gods already have poor worship quality and have little to lose in that regard.
c) The gods have a means to easily gain back any loss in worship quality that they might lose.

Consolidating worshipers and not sharing could arguably be a better tactic than the shared worship system some of you seem to want.

My main problem is none of those things though. My problem is the longer you share things and the more intertwined the followers become, the more blurry the lines of acceptability become. It becomes a situation similar to that of when the humans were created. Several different people contribute and feel a sense of entitlement or something akin to ownership. If I decided right now to take the Gruen and change them all to have 3 heads, I don't think anyone would care because they're pretty much exclusively my followers. If I took the humans when they first came out and tried the same thing, I'm sure it would spark debates. I simply have no wish whatsoever to put myself in a situation where someone gets to tell me how I should interact with my followers because I acknowledge that we all have different spheres and different things which are important to us. These things do not always align with one another.

Followers of Darruth are made immune to physiologically addictive effects of drugs, and resistant to psychological addiction to things other than doing Good. Including alcohol.
This extends to a lesser degree to those around them via magical aura-ish seeping things and Obelisks, and Darruthian priests can cure drug addictions during the induction into the Church/becoming a follower.

((And before anyone says 'oh you're not curing anyone who asks for it you're not Good after all!', it's really not that bloody hard to join the church, and if you aren't willing to follow the teachings of the fucking God of Goodness in order to deal with your addiction, and have a drug problem, well...))

There we go! How does it feel not to have to make a proposal to do that? Pretty good right?

"Also, Malakath, Asking me if I can design a Kitchen to experiment with Potions is like asking Fusil if he can make a Sword out of Steel. All you need to do is ask and Pay me back however Much Essence I lost creating it."

I believe it was an attempt to be polite.

"Ki'Tork, make me a Kitchen," sounds far less courteous.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: February 08, 2015, 10:58:14 pm »

"Don't worry about The Holy Meofisp's Worship Quality Grauel, We've got a Plan to fix that."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: February 08, 2015, 11:05:10 pm »

"Don't worry about The Holy Meofisp's Worship Quality Grauel, We've got a Plan to fix that."

"He was probably referring to the Light's stupid idea to mesh all our worshipers together in one huge, useless, and pathetic pantheon. I continue to refuse this idea. I want my worshipers pure. I was clear on that."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: February 08, 2015, 11:07:39 pm »

"Fusil, I do not want nor need to Form a Pantheon with you, And NO that wasn't the Plan."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: February 08, 2015, 11:10:21 pm »

Given that we are technically competing against each other...
"We are only competing with each-other because we choose to. We can just as easily choose to work together and openly promote polytheism."
+1 and unify under a grand pantheon.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: February 08, 2015, 11:20:08 pm »

There we go! How does it feel not to have to make a proposal to do that? Pretty good right?

Expensive and frustrating that it's necessary in the first place. The frustration would be there if it was a proposal, too, though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: February 08, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »

""Followers of Darruth." Does that mean anyone who worships you is liable for the gift or only primary worshippers? Some may choose to worship another god primarily and you secondarily, after all."

My main problem is none of those things though. My problem is the longer you share things and the more intertwined the followers become, the more blurry the lines of acceptability become. It becomes a situation similar to that of when the humans were created. Several different people contribute and feel a sense of entitlement or something akin to ownership. If I decided right now to take the Gruen and change them all to have 3 heads, I don't think anyone would care because they're pretty much exclusively my followers. If I took the humans when they first came out and tried the same thing, I'm sure it would spark debates. I simply have no wish whatsoever to put myself in a situation where someone gets to tell me how I should interact with my followers because I acknowledge that we all have different spheres and different things which are important to us. These things do not always align with one another.
"I would be upset if you did that to the Gruen if you didn't ask for consent first. Simply turning someone into something they might not want to be does not sit well with me. Notice how I asked if people wanted to become blood-drinkers first rather than simply mutating some of my followers. What if those followers didn't want a longer lifespan? It's just not right."

"What if I shared knowledge with you about the potions I create? Then we would both profit."

"My suggestion to embrace polytheism wasn't meant to be interpreted to mean that we should encourage our followers to worship each-other, just that we shouldn't force them into a situation where they can only worship one of us. Instead, we could convince people to choose us as primaries by offering them fair incentives for doing so. This healthy competition should drastically improve the quality of life of our charges. ALL of our charges."

"He was probably referring to the Light's stupid idea to mesh all our worshipers together in one huge, useless, and pathetic pantheon. I continue to refuse this idea. I want my worshipers pure. I was clear on that."
"If they worshipped no god including you, would they be pure?"
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: February 08, 2015, 11:33:47 pm »

You know, on introspection, I actually find that question offensive, Malakath, which I didn't expect. So my answer will be that it's not your business, since you seem so keen on peddling these drugs around. I'm not going to enable you taking advantage of the things I try to do to protect my people to advance your own agenda.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: February 09, 2015, 12:13:20 am »

"I would be upset if you did that to the Gruen if you didn't ask for consent first. Simply turning someone into something they might not want to be does not sit well with me. Notice how I asked if people wanted to become blood-drinkers first rather than simply mutating some of my followers. What if those followers didn't want a longer lifespan? It's just not right."

It was an exaggerated example. I'll lay down a more realistic one.

A group of your followers start worshiping Melyssa to the same extent as you. They pray to Melyssa asking for the ability to become more powerful through use of torture. Melyssa complies. These mortals have gotten what they wanted but now you have a group of torture fanatics living in your city alongside a bunch of regular followers who don't worship Melyssa.

Would you be mad at Melyssa? Possibly because you feel like what she did is affecting the quality of life for your other worshipers and that group is doing something that goes very much against your morals? Now think about it like this. Regardless of whether or not you think what Melyssa did is wrong, all she did was act out her sphere with people who follow her and prayed to her and got exactly what they want.

Same situation but the followers are just Melyssa's and they live in a town composed entirely of Melyssa's followers. We've seen situations like this before and I have no recollection of any of you interfering or saying anything about it.

It's a simple fact that a lot of our ideals and spheres don't work well together and our followers meshing can cause complications in certain situations. The Gruen tend to follow me because they support and believe in what I stand for and what I do. If I made all of my Gruen followers have three heads, I can almost guarantee the majority would accept it happily because of their belief that I am looking out for their best interests. They'd probably say, "Hey cool, I can eat three times as fast now." instead of "What the hell, why do I have three heads? I didn't ask for this!"
This is because the Gruen are fundamentally different from other races because I created them to be tailored to my sphere as opposed to Azem's where they'd be more interested in shinies.
Also, if a non Gruen is following me, they probably have a really good reason to. I don't actively recruit like a lot of others do. I do things for my current followers and if more want to start following me, I let them. Any follower of mine should know exactly what they are getting into when they sign up. It's effectively a contract where I give them some of the best security and potential for power out of any god and in return they submit to my sphere and any modifications I might want to make to them. It's pretty clear cut and it always has been.

Your example is different. You are not targeting a race you created that is inherently interested in blood drinking, blood magic, etc. Additionally, a lot of your followers are mixed followers (which is part of my point) or followers you went out of your way to "recruit" instead of them coming to you without you having to do anything. You are targeting various different races that have no inherent connection to your sphere. Some of them aren't even your followers. It's a very different situation. I don't need to ask my predominately Gruen based worshiper base if they'd be interested in being able to eat more because I already know with absolute certainty that 99% will say yes. The more mixed our worship bases become, the more difficult it is to take actions that will make everyone happy.

I know my methods must work pretty well because I have the highest worship out of anyone. If my followers didn't like how I do things, I wouldn't have done as well as I have so far.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: February 09, 2015, 12:53:40 am »

You know, on introspection, I actually find that question offensive, Malakath, which I didn't expect. So my answer will be that it's not your business, since you seem so keen on peddling these drugs around. I'm not going to enable you taking advantage of the things I try to do to protect my people to advance your own agenda.
"I cancelled the creation and distribution of Mystic Weed earlier today in case you didn't know. Now, I only began peddling them around because of the detrimental effects of Mystic Snow. Since these detrimental effects are going away, I have no need to "peddle my drugs" and so I won't. I don't even know how you think I can take advantage of you helping those who don't primarily follow you. I don't have an agenda and I don't believe I ever have. At what point will you realise that I'm not as malevolent as you think I am?"

A group of your followers start worshiping Melyssa to the same extent as you. They pray to Melyssa asking for the ability to become more powerful through use of torture. Melyssa complies. These mortals have gotten what they wanted but now you have a group of torture fanatics living in your city alongside a bunch of regular followers who don't worship Melyssa.

Would you be mad at Melyssa? Possibly because you feel like what she did is affecting the quality of life for your other worshipers and that group is doing something that goes very much against your morals? Now think about it like this. Regardless of whether or not you think what Melyssa did is wrong, all she did was act out her sphere with people who follow her and prayed to her and got exactly what they want.

"First of all, I don't have a problem with people torturing themselves if they want to. Secondly, I'd only get upset if they tortured other people without their permission. It's not for me to dictate how my followers live their lives, just so long as they don't make the lives of others worse. (I'd add "without their consent" but if they did consent they probably wouldn't see it as having a worse life.)"

Same situation but the followers are just Melyssa's and they live in a town composed entirely of Melyssa's followers. We've seen situations like this before and I have no recollection of any of you interfering or saying anything about it.
"I don't listen to the prayers directed at other gods. I consider it to be rude and an invasion of privacy. (If only a minor one.) Yes, I'm aware that Yaos held the same opinion and that's probably where I get mine from but it makes sense to me and so I'll keep my opinion." ((Yeah, I actually don't read other people's prayers, both because I can't be bothered and also for meta-RP.))

"As for the rest of your argument, you've made some very valid points. I'll need to think about this for a while."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:57:09 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: February 09, 2015, 01:30:01 pm »

If I decided right now to take the Gruen and change them all to have 3 heads, I don't think anyone would care because they're pretty much exclusively my followers. If I took the humans when they first came out and tried the same thing, I'm sure it would spark debates.

I support giving humans three heads, I'm pretty sure that counts as eldritch.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:32:40 pm by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: February 09, 2015, 01:31:21 pm »

((Accidental double post, please ignore))
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: February 09, 2015, 01:34:02 pm »

KI'Tork states to all Mortals that all chefs are to be respected above all other Mortals while they are within their Kitchen. He also sees what races follow him and how Devout those followers are.
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 475