Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 419414 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [13/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #3630 on: January 17, 2015, 04:47:18 pm »

God of Eating. Not Hunger, not Gluttony. Just eating. Hunger implies the inability to eat.

Not strictly true. It implies not having enough food. In the case of my creations, the more they eat, the more their requirement for sustenance increases. Thus instead of being satiated, eating makes them hungrier over time as their needs grow to surpass what is available.

Why is Grauel even the god of Decay? He never decays anything. The same can be said for Khaziraad's sphere of Advancement. He used it exactly once to improve some roads and then never used it again.

I have my reasons. You could just as easily argue that Cim doesn't do anything with Order. I'm sure he has uses for it. We just don't see them.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: January 17, 2015, 04:48:30 pm »

God of Eating. Not Hunger, not Gluttony. Just eating. Hunger implies the inability to eat.

Surely that would make them almost allies then?

Cyrix grows stuff, Grauel eats it.

The decay part might cause issues, but oh well... cannae be perfect, eh?

Edit: Also I'm quite happy to take bets, should KJP allow. So long as I get a cut of the action, and I obviously wouldn't be betting myself...

man, half the reason for starvation back when was food rotting in the silo before it could be eaten. already been harvested...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: January 17, 2015, 04:50:14 pm »

Isn't that how beer works though? Fermenting grain?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: January 17, 2015, 04:50:19 pm »

You're doing it again :P
???

Edit: What's to say they're not doing things in private related to their other spheres anyway?
*whisphers* Shhhh! That's what I'm trying to find out!

I have my reasons. You could just as easily argue that Cim doesn't do anything with Order. I'm sure he has uses for it. We just don't see them.
Actually, we've seen him use Order plenty of times. I don't remember a single time where he's done anything with Law. Heck, he doesn't even seem interested in following or even enforcing Council Rules.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: January 17, 2015, 04:52:18 pm »

You're doing it again :P
???

I don't know if it's just me inferring (probably) but it seems some of your posts imply other players are doing it wrong.

It's not as bad as outright saying they're doing it wrong and then telling them how to fix it, but it's there.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: January 17, 2015, 04:52:37 pm »

man, half the reason for starvation back when was food rotting in the silo before it could be eaten. already been harvested...

Where did you hear that? We have had pretty effective grain storage as humanity since the invention of alchol...And things like this happen...

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: January 17, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »

*whisphers* Shhhh! That's what I'm trying to find out!

::)

If I have been using my sphere for some type of nefarious purpose and I say so in the OOC thread, do you plan to do anything about it IC? If I told you I was IC, would you do something about it? Because I'm pretty sure you swore off politics after what happened to Yaos.

If the curiosity bothers you so much, ask the Oracle if I've been doing anything involving decay.

Actually, we've seen him use Order plenty of times. I don't remember a single time where he's done anything with Law. Heck, he doesn't even seem interested in following or even enforcing Council Rules.

This doesn't exactly disprove my point.
Sure thing peanut man!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: January 17, 2015, 05:14:14 pm »

From the people who teach history? Big part of the reason for spice trade was so that they could cover the taste of rotting food.

And while we can brew grain into alcohol, that's not the same as actual quality food storage. There's dampness and vermin to take into account, natural decay of plant matter, fungus and other disease among crops (coughIrishPotatoFaminecough) spreading more easily...

And I said half. Not in the 'exactly fifty percent' meaning, but in the 'a hefty chunk' meaning. Drought, flooding, worn out soil, war, all of these are also factors. So, to quote you...

"You are ignoring all other factors but the one you want to focus on"
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: January 17, 2015, 05:37:45 pm »

From the people who teach history? Big part of the reason for spice trade was so that they could cover the taste of rotting food.

I never heard of that before. Especially because most spices where rich-people things. Besides, you don't spice the grain that most people eat. Grain is relatively easy to store, see alcohol. If that is really the only thing that made you think that rotting food is what 50% of the harvest went to, you are far worse at assuming things then Andres. Meat (which the rich people also ate more of) tastes a lot better with spices, and their popular ways of storing food made the food even more bland then it was before. Of course they liked spices. I never heard that it had anything else to do with rotting food.

And while we can brew grain into alcohol, that's not the same as actual quality food storage. There's dampness and vermin to take into account, natural decay of plant matter, fungus and other disease among crops (coughIrishPotatoFaminecough) spreading more easily...

? Yeah, it pretty much is. Fermentation has been a common food-storage since ever. Alcohol kills everything, no microbe will live in it. Its why we use rubbing alcohol. Fungus and disease can't effect alcohol, because it kills them being alchol. Its damp, because it is alchol, but that doesn't matter because it kills all microbes.

Basically, the only storage that wasn't fermenting was either drying it or throwing salt at it until it stayed good longer. It had been that way since before the Romans. Neither where as effective as fermentation was.

And I said half. Not in the 'exactly fifty percent' meaning, but in the 'a hefty chunk' meaning. Drought, flooding, worn out soil, war, all of these are also factors. So, to quote you...

"You are ignoring all other factors but the one you want to focus on

Wait, what?

You: "LITTERALLY THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN STARVATION IS FOOD STORAGE! IGNORE ALL OTHER FACTORS!"
Me: "Really? I never heard that before. We had pretty effective means of storing food, such as alchol...
You: "NO! YOU ARE IGNORING ALL OTHER FACTORS!

What are you even trying to say with that?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: January 17, 2015, 05:43:25 pm »

May I recommend ending the argument over historical food storage before GM comes in handing out warnings?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: January 17, 2015, 05:45:12 pm »

So how much would it cost to make a sapient race of farming midgets?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: January 17, 2015, 05:46:52 pm »

With no special abilities or longevity? I would guess 2-3 essence for 300.

To have KJP see past the arguments on food storage, it is usually best to do a triple dollar sign above your price checks. Look back a few pages for examples.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: January 17, 2015, 05:47:26 pm »

Usually "$$$" goes before a price check to help improve the chances of the GM noticing the question among all the other comments.

Example

$$$

Gah ninja
Sure thing peanut man!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: January 17, 2015, 06:02:04 pm »

I never heard of that before. Especially because most spices where rich-people things. Besides, you don't spice the grain that most people eat. Grain is relatively easy to store, see alcohol. If that is really the only thing that made you think that rotting food is what 50% of the harvest went to, you are far worse at assuming things then Andres. Meat (which the rich people also ate more of) tastes a lot better with spices, and their popular ways of storing food made the food even more bland then it was before. Of course they liked spices. I never heard that it had anything else to do with rotting food.
Yeah, it was a rich people thing, because it was expensive. It was expensive for many reasons, most of which was the monopoly by Italian and Turkish and blahblahblah merchants. It wasn't me assuming things; it's literally what I was told, by my history(or was it humanities? they're very similar...) teacher. *shrugs*

Also, why do you keep assuming I'm only talking about grain? Root vegetables were rather important too, and that's mostly what I'm thinking of when I'm talking rotting food.

? Yeah, it pretty much is. Fermentation has been a common food-storage since ever. Alcohol kills everything, no microbe will live in it. Its why we use rubbing alcohol. Fungus and disease can't effect alcohol, because it kills them being alchol. Its damp, because it is alchol, but that doesn't matter because it kills all microbes.

Basically, the only storage that wasn't fermenting was either drying it or throwing salt at it until it stayed good longer. It had been that way since before the Romans. Neither where as effective as fermentation was.
...Alcohol isn't a cure all panacea for illness. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but so is penicillin. Stuff can be resistant. Not what I wanted to focus on, though. Yeah, fermentation's great. Mostly good for keeping from dying because you drank water that had the death-shits in it, as far as I've been told, and according to at least one documentary it helped humanity rise up to the level of civilization it has now, but wine, beer, all that? It can go bad. Hard liquor I'm less sure about. But hard liquor ain't exactly nutritious. And more than that; peasants did starve, in the winter. And yeah, a fair bit of that was nobles takin' a bit too much in taxes, but if you don't think rats getting into the food cellars and food goin' bad before it could be eaten was an issue? Then you're a bit off the mark.

Also you can't really brew carrots

Wait, what?

You: "LITTERALLY THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN STARVATION IS FOOD STORAGE! IGNORE ALL OTHER FACTORS!"
Me: "Really? I never heard that before. We had pretty effective means of storing food, such as alchol...
You: "NO! YOU ARE IGNORING ALL OTHER FACTORS!

What are you even trying to say with that?
When did I say the largest? Ever? Or use all caps? Hefty chunk=/=largest, hefty chunk = statistically significant. Also you made at least two typos.

There's a reason refrigeration was so nice.

And again, I'm not sure what you're trying to say with alchohol. Yeah, we can make whiskey and the like, and yeah, that was a way of utilizing crops that would otherwise go bad, but whiskey ain't exactly the same as bread or porridge in terms of staving off the chill o' winter, ya know? And soaking your barley in beer to try and have it keep longer...well...I'm afraid I can't recall us ever doing that.

Also; alcohol can go bad. Pasteurization was originally developed to aid the brewing industry, iirc.

Although I think you misinterpreted me in the first place; I was mostly thinking of the small scale peasants starving in the winter, while I think you were thinking massive famine; as food storage doesn't exactly randomly get worse to make food rot faster, such  events will be necessity be caused by other things.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: January 17, 2015, 06:03:01 pm »

Double post sidenote:

A race of beings, entirely mages, made entirely of magic, costs me 6E.

Races are pretty damn easy to make, thankfully.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 350