Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 53154 times)

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #540 on: December 15, 2014, 03:46:34 pm »

Maolagin's voice was becoming hoarse from shouting over the ringing iron as she sat on the stairs by the forge. Her older sister, probably an armorer from birth with a name like Stirredmetal, had recently heard the call of Nevertaxed and made the trek out here from Fellgranite, promptly taking a junior apprenticeship at the newly opened Hammer and Cock. Maolagin was proud of the progress that had been made on the various construction projects around the village, now that they'd had a few months of quiet after the goblins and the were-raccoons. Besides "Saint" Smithhalls new home for the metalworkers' guild, a second barracks for the reconstituted Spry Walls had risen on the west end of town, and the new northeastern cluster of stone houses was livable, if not quite finished.

Nevertheless, on this day she related the news with a heavy heart.

"That's right," she'd been saying, "cousins Athel and Ilral, and pretty much all their families, too. Most of Rimsprayed got out, but they stayed behind to defend the hill. Judging by the news from the liaison they never had a chance. Five thousand goblins or more, against a couple dozen dwarves. Put up a good fight, they did, no doubt about that, you and I've got grand-nephews now with posthumous titles long as your arm for whatever comfort that's worth."

"Now see here dearie," Rigoth replied between swings of her hammer, "they made the choice ta stay, and they'd nae want ye being distracted from ye own troubles by their misfortune. Raise a cask to em, fa sure, but focus! Ye've done good work here, the squads are shapin up ta be a formidable thing, and even this shop'd be sittin empty still without ye involvement. Ye did tha right thing with the werebeast curse, too. It couldn't ha been easy puttin ye own cousin down in that hole, neither, but ye an I both know if'n he'd been out on the square when he changed again, there's only be more bodies in the tomb now, an he'd still be one o' them."

"Aye. Yes, I should say! Goodness, sister of mine, now you've got me parroting that ridiculous accent you picked up in that hillock!" Maolagin took a moment to compose herself, stroking baby Ingiz's braided hair thoughtfully. "And I didn't come in here to mope about that, either. I've seen the new trade agreement the mayor hashed out with the liaison."

"Weapons and armor, that makes total sense of course. There'll be plenty of work for an armorer like you. But amulets and scepters? What do you suppose that's about?"

"Who knows? Maybe they're all tha fashion in tha Mountainhome, petty nobility struttin their riches in tha corridors of power. Maybe tha trade guild's lookin ta curry favor, hopin if'n they buy a thousand baubles, they'll get a few worthy ta give ta tha queen. But if'n ye want my thinkin, I say it's tribute. Tha Mountainhome doesn't think they can fight the Dungeon o' Dishes, wants ta buy em off. But can't do it above tha board, so ta speak. Goin through Nevertaxed, there's nae so much of a paper trail."

"Could be," Maolagin mused. "According to the documents, Koreg demanded the caravan come back next year with platinum ore, and the liaison agreed. If someone was looking to procure some expensive but easily smuggled trade goods without involving the guilds back home, that's how they'd do it. I'm going to need to keep a closer eye on Koreg," she realized with a sigh. "If he's getting pulled into something outright illegal, everything we've built here could come to ruin."

"Might be ye should do that, might be ye need ta learn ta look th' other way. Ye've always been tha law-abidin type, but I have me doubts that Koreg entirely shares ye perspective there. But another question, while we're on tha topic of tha liaison. What news of the barony?"

"Oh, that's the strangest part of it! The liaison went to meet with Koreg, and by now they must have figured out that the baron never arrived in Arrowprinces. She made a point of flourishing a document with the queen's seal on it, saying she was empowered to elevate our status even beyond that of a barony. But then she didn't actually do it, far as I can tell. Didn't say another word, didn't appoint a new baron, nothing."

Now what Maolagin doesn't know, but we do (and Koreg might, depending on how much the liaison was willing to share) is that as soon as the liaison left, Nevertaxed was declared a duchy! Moreover, it seems that soon after our overly thirsty baron met with his pressing appointment, a new baron was declared in absentia. Kadol Fencewads is one of Timeless Morty's great-grandparents but appears unrelated to the extended clan that includes Maolagin and most of the founders. She's 142, and has lived in the fortress of Moistmirrors all her life. So unless she dies of old age, I don't think we'll be seeing much of her any time soon.

[Edits: text and images updated because the game crashed after I wrote this, which backed me up to just before the liaison meeting started. Save seems fine.]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:17:44 pm by Maolagin »

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 16, 2014, 05:47:25 pm »

Aaaaaaand ... that's a wrap.

Save file for year 4 on DFFD

Memo to: Mayor Koreg

I feel that I have accomplished most of what was asked of me this year. Our defenses are considerably upgraded, probably as secure as we can make them without adding forbidden measures such as a curtain wall. I feel the squads, enlarged in number and dramatically better trained, will readily stand up to any invading force the Dungeon of Dishes is likely to send this far afield. And besides that, industry is prospering and our housing stock grows apace. Kindly consult with your official administrators if you need further details on these points. Especially be sure to visit Baffler in his office sometime, I think you will like what he has done with the place.

That said, I must formally protest some of your recent decisions. I was told that I would have full oversight of military logistics, including production schedules. Now that the Hammer and Cock is fully in operation, we have been producing plenty of iron gear, and even a slow but steady stream of fantastic steel equipment. Allow me to attach a sample of our recent output.

Despite this, you have been going around all year demanding that we produce more shields, undermining my authority in that precise regard. The last straw came a few days ago, when you ordered a dwarf beaten for failing to produce shields. Whether that order specified the dwarf in question or was carried out at random, I care not. A stout and highly trained speardwarf has now lost the use of his hand. That is the price of your capricious demands!

Please consider this my letter of recommendation, effective on the first day of the new year. Feel free to have someone else deliver the bin of leather shields I had made for you, preferably vertically and at high speed.

Cordially yours,
Maolagin

Some notes:

There's a speardwarf in the west barracks with a collapsed hand, whoever takes this save next will probably want to check that he makes it to the hospital okay.

Here's a map of the center of town:

The remodel of the Plum's dining hall is complete, feel free to re-designate it a meeting zone if you don't mind the vomit, but I've been having them congregate near the depot both so that rain can wash off the gunk, and for modestly faster hauling. Notice the new bridge. One of the defensive upgrades Maolagin mentioned is that bridge, which is attached to the lever in the middle of the dining hall. The brook is channeled out underneath, so when the brook isn't frozen you have the option of sealing the Plum with both doors and a moat. Should keep out common building destroyers like trolls. The civilian alert burrow is inside the Plum as well. You may want to fiddle with burrows so that Koreg winds up in his mansion instead. Silverplum manor has a sealing drawbridge entrance, but no food reserves, so it's not an indefinite refuge.

This might be bending the rules a bit, but the marksdwarf squad doesn't have a proper barracks of its own yet. It was operating out of the east barracks for some time, but is currently set to train at the targets set up against the side of the plum. Now that they're up to full strength and reasonably equipped, they probably deserve a facility of their own.

There's some weirdness with stockpiles and hauling I still haven't been able to sort out, probably related to the giant everything-stockpiles in the warehouse. Doing fiddly things like getting the steel armor decorated took a fair bit of micromanagement. I think seeds are sorted out now, feel free to tear town the seed-stockpiling minecart stop.

I put hatch covers over the stairs to the tomb. The were-raccoon is still in Hugo's basement, but I was thinking of linking the tomb hatches to the lever in the shrine and having him live down there with the coffins. Not sure if he'd target the coffins as a building destroyer, though.

No sign of goblins yet, I can't wait to see how the new military performs against them. Use those rows of houses to screen line-of-sight if you can, it works wonders.

Cheers!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 16, 2014, 06:00:50 pm »

EvictedSaint HugoLuman or Pencil_Art, whoever claims it first gets it.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 16, 2014, 06:08:06 pm »

My internet is out, so I can't download the save.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 16, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »

Finals week here! I either have oodles of spare time or none at all, answer cloudy ask again later! But next week for me is the vacation. I might not be within internet range the whole time but I could play the save and tell the entire story in one update.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 16, 2014, 08:46:26 pm »

take a laptop to burgerking or mcdonalds?

still, Koreg's incessant demands for shields is a bit taxing, yes.  at least he wasnt bitchy about his house not being quite good enough.

glad steel production is under way.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 16, 2014, 09:02:03 pm »

Literally just got my internet back.  I'll download the save now.

I haven't really been following this thread too closely ever since I had to skip my turn due to finals.  Can someone give me a synopsis of what I've missed?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 16, 2014, 09:17:00 pm »

Wierd raised up a clothing industry with a tenant running it, but he fell victim to carnage involving a werebeast coming out of nowhere. Also, the goblins are on the warpath.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 16, 2014, 09:32:18 pm »

Wierd raised up a clothing industry with a tenant running it, but he fell victim to carnage involving a werebeast coming out of nowhere. Also, the goblins are on the warpath.

Gotta rely solely on your military when the greenskins come a-raiding.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:15 pm »

yup.

also, the elves officially gave us the stink eye over tree harvesting, so maolagin and myself have avoided cutting any more until they calm down. we dont really need to be fighting double invasions each year (yet... lol.) 

a new renter is in the clothier shop and is titled appropriately. they should be cranking out clothes on repeat and checked on occasionally to make sure there hasnt been a snafu. this is especially true of the plant processing and weaving jobs, since dwarves grabbing barrels or bins can cause cancellations and cockup the production flow.

we murderated the vampire baron, a new noble was selected by the game, but they have not arrived on site.

a werecreature made an attack and bit several dwarves, as pointed out. a "survivor" remains locked up under hugo's house in the basement.  a clever means of eliminating it might be to draft it into a squad of 1 when the greenskins arrive, and send it out to greet them. mele weapons sound ideal. if it survives, prevent it getting medical care and pen it up in the basement again. the next time it transforms, its injuries will be magically corrected.

not much else.. flux is a rare item. we have yet to hit any. all steel has been either from melting traded steel anvils or made with traded flux.  I commissioned a few silver war hammers at the end of my tenure since it was otherwise iron agains iron, and silver has enough blunt damage to get some damage through iron.

i dont know what kind of goblinite was in the 40 goblin seige, but the 11 goblin scouting party droped iron armor, iron crossbows, and at least one silver mace.

maolagin was using all the conglomerate boulders I had dug up and turned into blocks to renovate the picked plum to reclaim wooden logs, due to the scarcity of the material while we wait for the elves to stop being pansies about the trees. I followed a simplistic exploratory mining methodology when digging, and got a fair amount of raw iron ore. I dont know if maolagin ordered any additional mining done or not.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 17, 2014, 12:01:36 pm »

Posts for year 3:
The spring siege
Were-raccoons!
New dorfings
Making soap
More dorfing
Rumours and commerce
Year-end wrapup

a new renter is in the clothier shop and is titled appropriately. they should be cranking out clothes on repeat and checked on occasionally to make sure there hasnt been a snafu. this is especially true of the plant processing and weaving jobs, since dwarves grabbing barrels or bins can cause cancellations and cockup the production flow.

Beneviento is actually working on batches of clothes through the manager, so cancellation isn't an issue, but you do need to re-issue jobs as most of them finished up around the end of the year. Far as I can see, nobody is wearing anything worse than "x" worn clothes. Loom is set to weave all thread automatically, probably want to change that to weave dyed thread once dyeing is set up.

we murderated the vampire baron, a new noble was selected by the game, but they have not arrived on site.

a werecreature made an attack and bit several dwarves, as pointed out. a "survivor" remains locked up under hugo's house in the basement.  a clever means of eliminating it might be to draft it into a squad of 1 when the greenskins arrive, and send it out to greet them. mele weapons sound ideal. if it survives, prevent it getting medical care and pen it up in the basement again. the next time it transforms, its injuries will be magically corrected.

Or just keep it in the catacombs as a renewable source of mysterious accidents for problematic bureaucrats.

i dont know what kind of goblinite was in the 40 goblin seige, but the 11 goblin scouting party droped iron armor, iron crossbows, and at least one silver mace.

maolagin was using all the conglomerate boulders I had dug up and turned into blocks to renovate the picked plum to reclaim wooden logs, due to the scarcity of the material while we wait for the elves to stop being pansies about the trees. I followed a simplistic exploratory mining methodology when digging, and got a fair amount of raw iron ore. I dont know if maolagin ordered any additional mining done or not.

Plenty of iron armor and weapons. Gave iron whips to a couple of soldiers, and several of them insist on wearing goblin helms, sold most of the rest to the caravan. With fuel the limiting factor, doesn't make sense to melt goblinite when there's so much hematite lying around.

Didn't designate any new mining, took most of the year to finish mining out the designations already in place, and we're nowhere near working through the already-extracted stone and ore.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 18, 2014, 01:21:11 pm »

doot doot doo, runnin' a town.

doot doot doo, expanding Bim's influence.

doot doot doo, centralizing power under Bim.

doot doot doo, murdering the other members of the Chamber of Commerce in a powergrab.

Say, who all is on the Chamber of Commerce in our town?  IIRC, I set Bim up to be the Head Chair for all metal-working and metal-related industries.  I guess Hawkblockades is still sitting pretty as the Head Chair for Mining...

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 18, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »

With so many named members, it would be interesting to have in-forum campaigns for "the next Mayor".  A Mayor would be the person elected to lead the town for the next year (ie: take a turn).  Candidates would have to present campaign promises to the forum and participate in back-room deals (AKA Private Massages) that would then be posted to the forum after the new Mayor's election.  This would certainly be an entertaining interlude for those of us reading this game without (yet) participating in a direct manner.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:41 pm »

Okay, that's certainly a thought, but it doesn't answer the question of who I have to murder all are the leaders of industry.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 18, 2014, 03:51:16 pm »

I don't like that Idea, I limited it to 7 players because even when it's just 7 players and everybody knows about their upcoming turn well in advance things tend to fall apart. 

I assume the leaders of industries are all clearly marked with their professions. I feel like I should also point out that we rarely have enough notables for a functioning fortress and taking each other out would probably cause the collapse of Nevertaxed.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54