Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441112 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW
« Reply #390 on: February 01, 2015, 02:38:22 pm »

Can't do that with the trap door.
So you cannot even stand directly at the door?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 01, 2015, 02:44:16 pm »

No, the room is set up so that you can only drop in from above by activating a lever that opens one trap door, then activating the two pressure pads beneath that open the second trap door. I can get stuck on the first trap door, but I can't shoot while I'm wedged in there so I'm forced to activate the lever again and try to fight him normally.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 01, 2015, 02:45:29 pm »

Huh.. Sounds like they changed how you access the Penguin Mech..
Well I have no tactics for that boss then.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 01, 2015, 03:17:30 pm »

How. How how how how do you beat this stupid penguin mech. It just refuses to not kill me. I haven't even managed to get it down to half health before it wrecks me. How do they expect people to beat this guy with their current level of equipment? At least the crystal guy could be cheesed by blocking his lasers with a two-handed sword. I honestly don't think they tested some of these bosses before releasing this update.

That said, I'm enjoying the rest of it.
Well, seeing as now they've changed the access route that allowed to snipe it before, I guess I can share the sort of "tactic" I tried to use to beat it that got it to maybe a third of its health.

Basically you want two weapons, with an optional third.

First is any melee weapon with a ranged secondary effect. Electric weapons are preferable because you can aim the shots, but any should do.
Second is a two-handed sword with as high a damage-per-hit as you can find or make. If you have a two-hander with a ranged effect, you can just use it as the first weapon as well.

The optional third is any kind of energy-using ranged weapon. You won't get many opportunities to fire at it, but you can get one nevertheless. I recommend something with a high damage-per-shot, like a sniper rifle or a rocket launcher.

The boss, last I saw it, has these patterns:

1. Claw Swipe - it will try to approach you and swipe at you with claws, then withdraw. Tactic: Either stay away and fire ranged weapon, or use two-handed sword to block claw attack and hit it as it retreats. Proceeds to: Missile Turret or Plasma Burst

2. Missile Turret - if you keep away from melee, it will move to the center of the room and launch homing missiles at you. Tactic: use a melee weapon with ranged effect to shoot down the missiles without wasting energy you might need for tech. There is a tiny blindspot in melee range where missiles will arc into the floor and potentially not harm you, but it's hard to always stay in it. Proceeds to: Plasma Burst, Claw Swipe, or Claw Charge.

3. Plasma Burst - if you play keepaway too well, or just at random after claw attacks or missile barrages, the mech may move into the center of the room, rise into the air, and shoot a large amount of electricity-like glowing orbs outward in rapidly shifting patterns. Tactic: The orbs may be avoided completely, but their large size and number means it's very hard to do - you can instead move to the far side of the room and avoid most of them, using the two-hander to block the shots that will invariably hit your location. There is a short charge-up and wind-down period in this pattern, where you can approach the mech and hit it in melee. Proceeds to: Claw Swipe or Missile Turret.

4. Claw Charge - sometimes, instead of using the plasma burst, the mech will use the distraction caused by missiles to move back and charge very very quickly across the floor of the room, hitting you with the claws for a lot of damage. Tactic: watch the mech's movements. If you have a single-handed Electric weapon, you can grapple up to the ceiling of the room with the grapple gun, and shoot down the missiles with the aimed electric effect without having to worry about the sudden charge. Proceeds to: Claw Swipe or Missile Turret.

Using these tactics I was able to get it pretty close to beaten. I had no two-hander with me though, instead I used an axe, and I also was in the energy-focused "glass cannon" armor set, so I couldn't take much damage. If you use a two-hander and the "maximum defense" armor set, you should be able to beat it. I'll be testing the tactics out myself soon, with my new character in stable, so I'll report back on what changed and how it goes.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2015, 03:21:43 pm »

Nevermind, actually. I just killed him with a Red Giant Orb, an aegisalt rifle and a two-handed sword. Thank god for damage negation.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 01, 2015, 03:59:11 pm »

With your matter manip the ores make a sound. You can go screen by screen down a shaft and just sweep the screen listening for a ping.

It would be nice to see more mods on the nexus.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 03, 2015, 01:34:42 am »

Hey peepz!

I've got a vanilla MP server up. You can find out whether it's up or not with this link: http://lanimals.com/starbound/

If you have a multiplayer server that you want added to this list, just let me know and I'll put it up. PM me! :)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW - Tylui's got a server up
« Reply #397 on: February 03, 2015, 04:40:37 am »

Oh wow. They've rebalanced the storage container sizes. The tiny 2x2 lab lockers are no longer the best/worst storage solution! Worst because they are so hard to keep track of!

I absolutely love the Lunar Base lockers now. 48 storage in a 5x5 object is worse than the lab lockers provide even now that they're only 9 slots, but it's SO much easier to keep large amounts of different stuff in one discrete area now.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 03, 2015, 01:15:53 pm »

Yep sir, fresh start. I think you knew that though, I see you were on earlier ;)

Is it reasonably lag free, I hope?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 03, 2015, 01:44:26 pm »

I think I'll join. See ye in a few.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2015, 01:52:44 pm »

Server is tempting! I will probably see you folks around!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 03, 2015, 03:34:05 pm »

I hope you don't mind that Me and Greatorder made the spawn a little bit nicer. With a small hut, a field of harvestables and room for crafting.
Plus some crates for storage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2015, 03:36:11 pm »

To me it is just about never worth it to lose armor just because of the huge difference a tiny bit of armor makes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 03, 2015, 05:19:05 pm »

Indeed.
Thanks for the fish tank though Greatorder.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2015, 05:31:30 pm »

Server's back up! idk what happened :)

I hope you don't mind that Me and Greatorder made the spawn a little bit nicer. With a small hut, a field of harvestables and room for crafting.
Plus some crates for storage.

Of course I don't mind, in fact, thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 130