Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439290 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #840 on: March 08, 2016, 01:11:55 am »

I tend to give little to no weight to the past, and keep products separate from their creators. It keeps me open to trying new things without being loaded by negative or positive bias - so I can enjoy a good game by a previously bad company, and am not terribly disappointed when a previously good company makes a bad one, for instance. :)

There's also positive reinforcement to consider - if you don't support a bad company for making a good game, then they... will be even less likely to make any good games in the future, and I'm not sure how that would benefit anyone at all. ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:13:50 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 08, 2016, 01:12:48 am »

Yes I am that petty.  I don't believe in supporting companies who make decisions I disagree with.
How you still have a Steam library is beyond me. :P
If you intend to play any meaningful number of modern games on PC, you functionally need either Steam, a shittier version of Steam, or have to deal with the terrible DRM most titles carry when published and downloaded as standalone programs (and of course you still don't get a physical copy with unlimited installations). A digital publishing platform like Steam is basically the only way to circumvent individual companies putting absolutely heinous DRM on everything they publish (because, yeah, we're not going back to the old days, no matter how nice it might be), and of those platforms Steam is consistently the least terrible and run by the least evil company, even with shit like the paid mods attempt and the difficulty with using it in offline mode. At least it has an offline-play mode.

If you're not willing to bend at all on that, you're playing nothing but small-time indie games and a handful of major titles (mostly F2P MMORPG and MMO arena types). If you play multiplayer, you're likely relying on the dev or publisher's servers and anti-cheat measures--if they decide to stop supporting the game, no more MP for you, probably.

With Ubi you might not even get SP when servers drop.

GOG is selling new drm free games without a platform service like Steam. They're doing pretty well.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 08, 2016, 04:25:14 am »

One could argue GoG is a non-intrusive platform (Browser based) delivering drm free game since you need to download it once from their server, but i am stretching it to the extreme XD.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 08, 2016, 05:25:21 am »

GoG is a testament to how little effect software piracy actually has on the sales of quality games. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:00 am »

I posted this here in 2013:

I have a feeling that many people are setting their expectations WAY too high for this game, and there is going to lot of rage/disappointment going around the internets when it's released.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's going to be a good game, but when I read these stories people write on forums about things they imagine doing in a game that isn't out yet, using features that have never been announced by the devs... well you get the picture...

CF didn't overhype the game.  You guys did.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 10, 2016, 09:42:02 am »

CF didn't overhype the game.  You guys did.

No sorry Lucidvizion you don't get to pull out that card. Chucklefish knew what the heck they were doing when they put up the Dev Map.

They WANTED you to believe in the features they were putting into the game. They wanted you to believe that they would have evolving pets, terraforming, and all that jazz.

You cannot SAY we overhyped the game when everything we want are things they explicitly said were going to be in the game. When Chucklefish intentionally fostered high hopes for the game in order to sell it to us.

This isn't Spore.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:44:17 am by Neonivek »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 10, 2016, 09:50:49 am »

This isn't Spore.

Explain this to me? On one hand, we've got a game that didn't live up to expectations. On the other, we've got a game that... didn't live up to expectations.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:28:42 am by Mephisto »

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 10, 2016, 09:51:51 am »

I have stopped buying games from EA and Ubisoft and I'll never buy a game from Keen Software House or from the dev team of Starbound, and I'm not too fond of DoubleFine after SpaceBase DF-9 either..and that doesn't mean I live in a forest and made a PC out of wood.

I think what he said is pretty easy to understand, no need to extrapolate it. It's very unfortunate Stardew Vallley is published by Chucklefish, but I bought it because it was not made by them and I wanted the game. I do hope he drop that deal for his next titles, though, I like the guy.

I have a friend that insists that Starbound feels like it's going somewhere now. I simply cannot see it, but I guess I'll join some multiplayer game once 1.0 comes up.

Thanks for this and honestly I thought I was pretty clear on what I was saying to, but eh, people resort to fallacy when they disagree with your opinion and feel they need to change it.  I guess there's a different process involved when boycotting a smaller company for horrible practices than for boycotting the big dogs everyone deems it's "hip" to hate on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 10, 2016, 09:53:33 am »

This isn't Spore.

Explain this to me? On one hand, we've got a game that didn't live up to expectations. On the other, we've got a game that... didn't live up to expectations.

It is the difference of intent.

Spore didn't try to mislead anyone, the original hype was too strong.

Starbound on the other hand...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 10, 2016, 01:49:33 pm »

Yeah, Spore was not overhyped - it promised, initially, way more than it ended up delivering - ostensibly for technical reasons. Spore, in my opinion, did way worse than what Starbound is going through right now, though I may be biased because I actually followed what was happening with Spore - Starbound I encountered after I already adopted the "it's going to be as good as it's going to be" attitude towards all future games. That, and Starbound being in development (even if already close to "release", however little that actually means) means I'm actually looking forward to further changes because I already like the game the way it is, and it looks like it's mostly getting better. :)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 10, 2016, 03:46:21 pm »

Spore, well, I was a bit let down, but I did end up getting a lot out of it. We at least got the biggest selling point, which was the creature creation. Still, yeah, that gameplay :(
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 10, 2016, 07:08:22 pm »

When I read people saying things like "I won't buy games from x publisher" all I really hear are justifications for piracy. I am pretty pissed at Stardock for the double bone heads of Demigod and that one fantasy 4x, but I am willing to accept that some day they will put out a good game. But I won't ever preorder one.

It was pretty obvious Starboard wouldn't live up to expectations. Hell, people even complain that Terreria didn't deliver. A small part of the disappointment is on you. Chuckle fish sold the hype but you still bought it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 10, 2016, 07:15:59 pm »

I haven't pirated any of the games I refused to buy from EA because of whatever it was that upset me so much about Origin back in the day.
Love, scriver~

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 11, 2016, 03:21:12 am »

I almost never buy anything without pirating it first, unless it's an impulse sort of thing where something potentially interesting is cheap enough on Steam. In our day and age, piracy has supplanted the game demos as the most reliable source of "try before you buy".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 11, 2016, 03:27:27 am »

So the moral of the story is

If you recycle then you should just slap yourself in the face because unless you can recycle EVERYTHING, it is pointless to even try.

Either that or the lesson is: "Don't be a terrible developer and maybe people won't chose not to buy your game out of principle"
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 130