Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2015 [Resolve-Building Thread]  (Read 17023 times)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2015 [New Year's Resolutions]
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2015, 05:14:46 pm »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2015, 02:57:37 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:24:46 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Twelve Behemoths 2015 [Resolve-Building Thread]
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2015, 06:25:57 am »

ALRIGHT LET'S DO THIS THING. :I

0. Create 2015 BEHEMOTH GOAL LIST.
Hooray! \o/ Tutorial completed!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:47:41 am by Tiruin »

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2015, 11:43:26 am »

So I think I'm finally going to separate my goals into smaller, more achievable things. This is much better for tracking progress and is also a confidence booster if I can check some things off.

Spoiler: Updoot (click to show/hide)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2015, 02:40:25 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:14:58 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:31 am »

~

I notice you were thinking about the food thing. I've been working on that myself for a couple of years now and have some tips. One great way to cut carbs is to substitute vegetables for pasta or rice in dishes. Chinese cabbage works really well for me here (I use the napa cabbage/wombok type), and the stuff is packed full of nutrients. So, see about adjusting dishes so that you match them with leafy vegetables instead of rice bread and pasta.

Also, cabbage > lettuce if you don't have really regular eating habits or you find yourself throwing out food often. Lettuce is nutritional crap compared to cabbage. Plus, leave some cabbage in the fridge for a month and it's probably still edible, whereas lettuce will turn into a black slime in a matter of days.

Another thing is onion skins. They contain about 90% of the micronutrients of the onions, and a whole lot of fiber. When I found that out, I just got lazy and don't bother skinning onions anymore. The idea takes some getting used to, but once the onion skins are cooked in a dish they're hardly noticeable.

Also, raw oats. That stuff is magic for nutrition, quick to make and very filling. Plus, it's probably cheaper than the cheapest white bread you can get. Mix other stuff into it to make your own muesli much cheaper than packaged stuff. I put shredded coconut and sunflower kernels in.

I also know how to make instant soup mix much cheaper than you'd pay for it, but also zero preservatives and you control what goes into it. Good for snacks on a budget. i'll outline it if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:09:00 am by Reelya »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2015, 10:35:40 am »

Another thing is onion skins. They contain about 90% of the micronutrients of the onions, and a whole lot of fiber. When I found that out, I just got lazy and don't bother skinning onions anymore. The idea takes some getting used to, but once the onion skins are cooked in a dish they're hardly noticeable.
I require an explanation on this one. I've occasionally let pieces stay in my food, and they inevitably turn into woody, unchewable strips. How do you cook them? I've always been frying them, which might be the problem.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2015, 10:40:13 am »

Your problem may be making them too large. If you finely dice the onion (for a curry, macaroni cheese, or potato salad, say) the skins can just be swallowed sans chewing, I imagine.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:15 am »

I chop the onions so the pieces are about 1-2 cm^2. So I'm basically chopping up both the onion and the skins at the same time. They don't really require chewing then. I do fry the onions. It could depend on the type of onions used too i guess. I use brown onions, occasionally spanish.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:59:36 am by Reelya »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2015, 02:32:06 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:14:51 pm by Vector »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2015, 09:27:48 pm »

Tiny question due to this tangent...where or how does one learn how to cook ._.
Yes, this is me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:59 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:14:29 pm by Vector »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2015, 09:32:47 pm »

Find a friend, or pester your relatives. Or watch cooking videos online! When you're first starting, though, it's best to cook with a buddy.
Bad net, so no cooking videos x_x nor am I even sure that the cooking shows can apply to me...
But thanks! :D
Now to...find a way how to approach a friend with asking this kind of thing here.

New Goal added in the draft for later on! :)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2015, 09:47:39 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:13:59 pm by Vector »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:41 pm »

Once you get the mechanics down, the next step is to follow recipes. But, yeah, the first thing to do is get a feel for the basic stuff like cracking eggs without getting bits of shell everywhere, salting your various boiled starches, reasonable temperatures for cooking certain ingredients, and so on. Paragraphs have a minimum of three sentences.

If you want to branch out into freestyle cooking, still start with recipes you've gotten real familiar with, and then modify them one bit at a time to get a feel for what does what. Also, eat a wide variety of foods and seasonings, so as to develop a familiarity with various flavors and textures. Be prepared to make many mistakes, and choke down many a semi-failure, if you wish to venture off the path of well-defined recipes. I think it's worthwhile, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9